Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Should Have Been Cancelled Forever But Wasn't?

Started by Dr Rock, August 09, 2022, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

There's an ep of Saturday Night Fry where Fry and Brian Sewell go on an almost-PIE-ian talk on that book, saying that the trauma came from the outing of the deeds by the child's families,  to the astonishment of Robbie Coltrane.

Quote from: willbo on August 18, 2022, 12:22:03 AMJonathan Ross started dating Jane at 16 and 26, married at 18 and 28

There's a pretty big difference between using your fame to get access to vulnerable girls, and hitting it off with the showbiz reporter from the Daily Star and embarking on a 36 year (and counting) relationship.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 17, 2022, 11:53:50 PMOne of Polanski's more recent films, Venus in Fur, had a cast of 2 which suggests one way he can continue to work - down from Carnage which was pretty much a four-hander. I'd like to think his next film will have a cast of 0, or maybe just Cleese in a lot of wigs.

Maybe metoo made working with him more unfashionable for big actors but I found it disappointing sometimes who was still willing to work with him.

Mubi had Carnage featured and the synopsis and cast interested me so I watched it without really realising who the director was. Came out in 2011 and stars Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz and John C Reilly as two parents of (unseen) children trying to resolve the fact their kids got in a fight. It was actually pretty funny but I was disappointed at actors I like working with him when I realised who directed it.

Sebastian Cobb

Dunno about definitely should've been cancelled, but I was just thinking that if Stanley Kubrick was still around today he might have had a backlash or had to answer for the conditions he put his actors under. As far as I know no sexual impropriety or the like, but he was renowned for getting actors to keep repeating scenes to the point of exhaustion and winding them up to get his desired results in a way that I don't think would or should fly today.

It probably reflects badly on me that I think it's almost funny when done to pampered celebs like Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, but take a much dimmer view when it's aimed at the likes of Shelley Duvall. We all have our crosses to bear I suppose.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 26, 2022, 08:22:17 PMDunno about definitely should've been cancelled, but I was just thinking that if Stanley Kubrick was still around today he might have had a backlash or had to answer for the conditions he put his actors under. As far as I know no sexual impropriety or the like, but he was renowned for getting actors to keep repeating scenes to the point of exhaustion and winding them up to get his desired results in a way that I don't think would or should fly today.

It probably reflects badly on me that I think it's almost funny when done to pampered celebs like Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, but take a much dimmer view when it's aimed at the likes of Shelley Duvall. We all have our crosses to bear I suppose.

I didn't know anything about Kubrick's treatment of her, and having just read an article about it, it speaks a lot for Duvall that she was still able to talk kindly about him after what he put her through. People can say "Oh you have to suffer for great art", but there are limits, and especially so when it's not you doing the suffering at the behest of no-one but yourself.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah it's weird. It seems pretty unnecessary given she seemed to give excellent performances in loads of Robert Altman films, as far as I know he didn't feel the need to torment her.

monkfromhavana

I didn't even know that she had been awarded a Golden Raspberry, her performance was great as far as I can recall.

If you have to push people to the edge of their sanity to get the desired results, maybe it's you who need to up your game. I wonder how many takes he made Leonard Rossiter do on 2001 given Rossiter's slightly shitty reputation for perfectionism.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: monkfromhavana on August 26, 2022, 08:50:10 PMI didn't know anything about Kubrick's treatment of her, and having just read an article about it, it speaks a lot for Duvall that she was still able to talk kindly about him after what he put her through. People can say "Oh you have to suffer for great art", but there are limits, and especially so when it's not you doing the suffering at the behest of no-one but yourself.

William Friedkin also similar.

Speak

Quote from: Red Lantern on August 10, 2022, 05:43:54 PMIt's disgraceful that Jimmy Savile didn't get cancelled until after he died. Even after his death in 2011, the BBC surpressed a Newsnight investigation into him.

I heard a story at school that Savile shagged patients at Stoke Mandeville hospital. That was in either 1983 or 1984!

My friend became paralysed after a car accident. She ended up at Stoke Mandeville. One day she woke up and Jimmy was standing by her bed. Brrrr

neveragain

Quote from: Speak on August 27, 2022, 12:32:24 AMMy friend became paralysed after a car accident. She ended up at Stoke Mandeville. One day she woke up and Jimmy was standing by her bed. Brrrr

How old was your friend at the time?

Speak

Quote from: neveragain on August 28, 2022, 11:57:34 AMHow old was your friend at the time?

around 19/20, so maybe she didn't get fiddled.