Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:28:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Should Have Been Cancelled Forever But Wasn't?

Started by Dr Rock, August 09, 2022, 05:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

I went to school with her and can verify she's no treasure.

New Page Cheryl.

Thomas

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on August 09, 2022, 06:20:49 PMAnthony Kiedis is especially noncey too. I recall reading a quote attributed to him in Kerrang in the 90s that he had a 14 year old girlfriend and admired her innocence, but fucked if I've been able to find it since.

Usually the chin-stroking papers wait till someone is dead before ponderously saying 'oh we should have been asking questions about Iggy Pop while he was still alive',1 but the Guardian did an interview with the Peppahs recently, and the reporter actually raised this with Kiedis. He hung up.

QuoteKiedis shoots back: "I don't know what you're searching for with that one. But it doesn't seem like any good can come out of discussing that." Then the line goes dead.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/01/red-hot-chili-peppers-people-misbehave-and-make-mistakes-they-dont-know-better

2. This will be the discourse when Iggy Pop dies in two years.

___

Alan Partridge was lucky he was allowed back into the BBC cafeteria, never mind being given a Christmas special and almost getting a second series.

Kankurette

Deets re Cheryl?

I have no time for Mel Gibson. I don't care how bad his childhood was, plenty of other people had shit childhoods and managed not to be borderline Nazis.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Kankurette on August 10, 2022, 10:48:06 AMAnd yeah, awful lot of whitewashing of her racism. I know she gets a lot of shit from the tabloids and Ashley Cole was rotten to her but that doesn't excuse beating up a toilet attendant and abusing her for being black.

The tabloids lied about it being racially motivated, inventing some quotes, the court cleared her of it having anything to do with the woman being black.

PaulTMA

Jarvis Cocker, despite reportedly being standoff-ish to a fan in 1992

PaulTMA

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 10, 2022, 11:06:18 AMThe tabloids lied about it being racially motivated, inventing some quotes, the court cleared her of it having anything to do with the woman being black.

Was an extremely racist word (of US origin) attributed to her?  I remember that part of the story doing the rounds at the time and wondering how it could have even been in her vocabulary

Dr Rock

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 10, 2022, 11:11:35 AMWas an extremely racist word (of US origin) attributed to her?  I remember that part of the story doing the rounds at the time and wondering how it could have even been in her vocabulary

Does it begin with J? Yes she said she'd never heard of the word.

checkoutgirl

Did Marky Mark Wahlberg beat a guy until he blinded him or something? Anyway he's sorry now so that's fine.

There are literal mafia gangsters all on youtube making a pretty penny not mentioning the burglary, arson, extortion, murder and kidnappings they did when still in the mafia.

You can't cancel a guy who's already done the jail time. They'd be in danger of being whacked if it was still the 1980s and any of the gang bosses that would order the hit were still alive.

jobotic

Quote from: FalknerHinton on August 10, 2022, 11:30:13 AMThis cunt

Tough shit mate, I've got a ten million dollar Netflix special coming out and there's nothing you can do about it.

dissolute ocelot

Everyone connected with Love Island: Jeremy Kyle was taken off TV after one suicide, but two contestants and a presenter killed themselves. Aside from that, there's been an endless string of dodginess around racist language, mental health, body image, false advertising, and environmental damage. But everyone in the media seems to love it, so it's untouchable.

JaDanketies

I once slammed Cheryl Cole for a racist assault on a toilet attendant and was informed that she was found not guilty of the racism thing, and only did the part where she assaulted a toilet attendant for nothing.

robhug

surprised Carragher made it back after that incident at the traffic lights. now seen as the friendly face of sky sports too.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: robhug on August 10, 2022, 11:48:45 AMsurprised Carragher made it back after that incident at the traffic lights. now seen as the friendly face of sky sports too.

Meh, the dicks filming it were winding him up precisely to get a reaction from him so that they could then whine about it. They got exactly what they were trying to get, so they get no sympathy from me and I'm a Man United fan.

Mark E Smith though, as previously mentioned can get out of grave and then get back in grave again. When he died, normally sane people were quoting a list of his hilarious quotes over the years that read like it was a list of things Nigel Farage would say.

JaDanketies

Was surprisingly hard to find an article that made me hate Mike Tyson when I looked it up last night, and he's still protesting his innocence on the rape charge - any good ones that'll make me hate the pigeon-loving pugilist?

chip

I would vote Bertrand Cantat, of French rock band Noir Desir, who beat to death a woman he was having an affair with in 2003, served four years in prison, and still tours and releases music to this day, including a duet with Amadou & Mariam in 2012 and an album with a song/video about Brexit in 2017.

Technically similar killing case to that of someone like Dirty Den, but just feels far worse due to how gendered, intimately brutal and relatively more recent it was. Utter vile bastard. Much rather pal around with a mild sex pest.*

* IF I HAD TO CHOOSE

EOLAN

Matthew Broderick

Well definitely should have faced more recriminations than a 75 pound fine.

Seems to have a great PR campaign to minimise the general knowledge of his wreckless driving killing two innocent lives.
Even the geberal consensus around why Jennifer Grey's promising career came to a halt seems to be due to a botched plastic surgery rather than her severe injuries from that.

To top it off, he has his Irish holiday home, not far from the site of the accident in a village called Kilcar.

Dr Rock

Kankurette

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 10, 2022, 11:06:18 AMThe tabloids lied about it being racially motivated, inventing some quotes, the court cleared her of it having anything to do with the woman being black.
Hitting her was still an immensely cunty thing to do though.
Quote from: FalknerHinton on August 10, 2022, 11:30:13 AMThis cunt
She's already cancelled. That bitch.

ETA: and yes, those United fans were being utter cunts but Carragher really should have known better. That said, spitting at idiots on a motorway is hardly up there with the sort of things Diego Maradona and George Best did. Or Marcos Alonso.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: JaDanketies on August 10, 2022, 12:03:46 PMWas surprisingly hard to find an article that made me hate Mike Tyson when I looked it up last night, and he's still protesting his innocence on the rape charge - any good ones that'll make me hate the pigeon-loving pugilist?

I remember when his autobiography came out around the time he was doing one-man shows about his life. Everyone was praising his honesty, and seemed to agree that he was innocent of rape and only guilty of having a bad lawyer supplied by Don King.

So I read it and instead found myself thinking "these are exactly the sort of things I would say if I raped someone".

It was written to be overly candid in the stories of his drug use and STDs, to imply that he's being totally honest by telling embarrassing tales about getting the clap, so he must also be telling the truth about the rape.

king_tubby

Popbitch's take on it:

https://popbitch.com/raking-over-old-coles-2/

Fun read, although quite, quite barmy.

QuoteIn early 2003, Cheryl Tweedy threw the future of Girls Aloud into turmoil. The newly-formed band had just scored a Christmas No.1, reviews of Sound Of The Underground were universally favourable and pop fans and critics alike were all genuinely excited to hear their debut album.

Then Cheryl punched a black toilet attendant in the face.

This was a big problem for Cheryl, but an even bigger problem for her management. Because as far as personal popstar PR goes, a charge of racially aggravated assault is about as bad as it can get. Even though she was eventually cleared of any racial motivation, she had become toxic. The name 'Tweedy' was  synonymous with hate crime and it's hard to market a music career on that.

If Cheryl had any hope of reaching her full pop potential after this, she would need fully rebranding. Not just a Madonna-style "Kabbalah Yogi/English Lady/Granny Dominatrix" makeover. We're talking Witness Protection level stuff here.

Around the same time, over in the Premier League, whispers were beginning to be heard around Highbury about the sexuality of one of their players, defender Ashley Cole.

Rumours in football do not need to be particularly substantial to take hold –particularly when homosexuality is involved. Graeme Le Saux was famously taunted for being gay on and off the pitch, mostly because he read the Guardian. But this one was then rather unfortunately fueled by a News of the World blind story which nonetheless fingered Ashley Cole for a "gay sex romp". (The Screws ended up paying Cole and DJ Masterstepz damages and publishing an apology but the story still stuck.)

The bullying sustained from such allegations – from fans and from team-mates – is bad enough, but there are professional ramifications too. If advertisers, sponsors, even certain clubs get the feeling that you are 'that footballer everyone thinks is gay', you won't find yourself inundated with contracts.

The story goes that someone, somewhere, who is paid an extortionate amount of money to make sure that celebrities remain marketable had a brainwave. These two rising stars had complementary problems. One stands accused of being a racist; the other stands accused of being gay. Two, hugely unprofitable birds that could easily be slain with one small stone. All it would take is an introduction.

And so, using the Beckhams as a blueprint, Cheryl and Ashley became Britain's new power couple. A pop princess and a football champion, whose powers combined made them an unstoppable force in the very lucrative field of selling lottery tickets and shampoo.

However, unlike the Beckhams, the Tweedy/Cole alliance wasn't built to last. In fact, if the theorists are to be believed, the exit strategy was the whole point.

You may be wondering how a divorce could possibly boost the profile of both parties. Well, here's one suggestion.

If you had the constitution to sit through one of the kiss-and-tell accounts of Ashley Cole's supposed infidelities, you'll have been surprised to see quite what a fanny hound the usually meek Ashley was. Forensic attention was cast over these alleged romps. Even perennial shaggers like Russell Brand or Steve Coogan don't get such a level of lurid detail paid to theirs – and love-rat romping is part of their personal brands.

By the end of a double-page spread, readers were left in no doubt as to how much Ashley Cole loves skirt. Man, he loves it! In one of the stories it turned out that he was humping a lady so hard that he puked! Puked!

Ask yourself this: Would a gay man be sick when having sex with a woman? Exactly. No way. It's just not possible.

And as for Cheryl? Poor, heartbroken Cheryl? Well, she has the nation's sympathy now. No longer the spiky little scrapper who picks fights with minorities in nightclubs. She is the vulnerable victim in all this. The spurned lover with the sad, shiny, zoo-animal eyes.

More than mere sympathy though, she now has a new name. She is legally Cheryl Cole and never need be Toxic Tweedy again.

While some pop conspiracists feel that the story ties itself up quite neatly there (she, absolved of racism; he, a proven swordsman), that's not where the theory necessarily ends. To some dedicated lesbian gossips, this is just where it starts.

Mister Six

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 10, 2022, 11:29:14 AMDid Marky Mark Wahlberg beat a guy until he blinded him or something? Anyway he's sorry now so that's fine.

Apparently the victim now says that he was blind before Wahlberg beat him up. So can we cancel Marky Mark for this instead?

QuoteWahlberg was booked to fly on American Airlines Flight 11 on September 11, 2001, but his plans changed the day before and he canceled his reservation. He received backlash for stating in a 2012 interview, "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did". He added that "there would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'" He issued an apology after family members of those killed on the flight expressed outrage.

beanheadmcginty

sevendaughters

Sean Bean. Serial wifebeater. Once got banged up for chinning wife #3 and asked wife #2 to pick him up on the promise that he'd get back with her. He then called a mate of mine (very credible source) who was working with him on set to pick him up and then give him his car so he can slip away, leaving my mate with crying wife #2.