Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:03:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Raymond Briggs Gone

Started by Blumf, August 10, 2022, 09:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62490170
QuoteAuthor-illustrator Raymond Briggs, best-known for his 1978 classic The Snowman, has died at the age of 88.

His death was confirmed by his family, who said he "was much loved and will be deeply missed".

Raymond Diggs (his grave)?

madhair60

Briggor Mortis.

Hilarity aside, big one for me. RIP

Norton Canes

Wrote and illustrated both the saddest (Ethel & Ernest) and most sickeningly terrifying (When the Wind Blows) books I've ever read.

shoulders

Gravebound Briggs

(only the 25 sec timeout prevented me from being FIRST)

madhair60

shiftwork2

Hat, scarf and carrot on wet grass.

RIP

Goldentony

fucked christmas
fucked christmas goes on holiday

Crenners

The Snowman meant an awful lot to me as a child and still does. I can barely watch it without breaking down in tears.

Kankurette

He's walking in the air.

When the Wind Blows was absolute nightmare fuel for me as a kid, but I loved The Snowman. And like many an '80s child, I cried at the ending.

Norton Canes

I pored over Fungus the Bogeyman for absolutely hours on end (I bet you did etc.) - the amount of detail in it is just phenomenal

dontpaintyourteeth

Shout out to When the Wind Blows for legitimately traumatising me

shiftwork2

Quote from: Crenners on August 10, 2022, 09:29:29 AMThe Snowman meant an awful lot to me as a child and still does. I can barely watch it without breaking down in tears.
It is interesting how a rather brutal tale of loss and finality became a beloved festive classic.

Norton Canes

Not saying The Snowman isn't sad, but the first one of these absolutely blows it out the water

jobotic

Fungus and WTWB are brilliant, but the first one I ever read was Gentleman Jim and it's just as good. Very funny but very bleak.

Pseudopath

GB Goodies mention the Raymond

Norton Canes

If I had to pick a favourite it might just be The Man - as heart-breaking as The Snowman, in its way, but less saccharine.

Norton Canes

Might have to get down Waterstones at lunch and buy a load of these.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Unliving Raymond

( instead of " Unlucky Wally" )

Actually, I really liked that brace of " Unlucky Wally" books he did, up there with his best work in my top opinion.

I would watch the film version of " When The Wind Blows" in tribute, but It's just such a tough watch, on a par with the ending of " Kes". Maybe I'll just play that Fungus The Bogeyman song what Paul McCartney did instead.

madhair60

Quote from: Kankurette on August 10, 2022, 09:31:09 AMHe's walking in the air.

unfortunately this is not the case, as he is in hell. :/

Kankurette

I'm Walking in the Fiery Pits doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 10, 2022, 09:09:44 AMWrote and illustrated both the saddest (Ethel & Ernest) and most sickeningly terrifying (When the Wind Blows) books I've ever read.

Spot on, the Ethel & Ernest film had me in tears.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Deathel and Urnest.

(those two books really are devastating)

You can get the Kindle ebook of Notes From The Sofa for 99p over on Amazon.

Captain Z

RIP, hope there are many trains for you to rob in heaven.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 10, 2022, 09:37:10 AMIf I had to pick a favourite it might just be The Man - as heart-breaking as The Snowman, in its way, but less saccharine.

This was my favourite too, probably on account of it being the first Briggs I read, but I knew it off by heart. I can still vividly picture the little naked bastard getting blasted with the hair dryer.

This is not a sexual awakening post.

Thomas

Incredible ability to capture and convey that very special reflective sadness, in a charming, domestic sort of way. Quiet sorrow in a universe of gingham tablecloths. Evocative like Dylan Thomas.

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 10, 2022, 09:37:10 AMIf I had to pick a favourite it might just be The Man - as heart-breaking as The Snowman, in its way, but less saccharine.

I can't remember exactly what happens at the end of The Man, only that it was indeed heartbreaking in some way. Back in the mists of my earliest memories I would listen to it on cassette at bedtime, where it warped my brain permanently into a highly sensitive poignancy detector. Now I weep at jam jars. Thanks Briggo.

Pink Gregory

Offering a court judge a Spangle while on trial for being a highwayman in his honour.

jobotic

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 10, 2022, 11:19:49 AMOffering a court judge a Spangle while on trial for being a highwayman in his honour.

Yeah, brilliant. M'lud.