Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Started by thelittlemango, March 28, 2023, 07:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
A new 10 minute gameplay video just dropped:

I was sceptical before of how similar it seemed to BOTW but this video has made me much more excited about it, the new fusion abilities look a lot of fun, it was already the most fun sandbox game and it seems like this could take it up a notch.

Pink Gregory

I haven't finished BOTW yet I am so not ready

Timothy

Bit underwhelming imo. Still looking forward to the game though.

Kelvin

I'm sure the game's going to be great, with gameplay/mechanics that are truly next level stuff. But I've come to accept that the world itself isn't going to be dramatically changed from BotW. Hopefully the new moves, verticality and vehicles will make traversal feel very different this time, and the potential for creativity will make the combat and puzzle-solving feel fresh.

Also, in the absence of a really great story trailer I made this:

Jerzy Bondov

I'm not going to be arsed making a little boat out of bits of stuff. Early access indie survival game tier shit.

Can I be both slightly underwhelmed and excited at the same time?

I've been re-playing BotW in anticipation but I'm not sure it's a good idea if the new game (or the map at least) is too similar - there'll be fewer surprises or things I'd forgotten about.

Timothy

Seems like yesterdays gameplay trailer was mostly catered to Youtube and Twitch creators. 'Look at all the amazing new things you can do with the abilities!'

There are a lot of comments everywhere where people say they can't wait to see what creative content creators come up with. Fair enough and same here, but I'm not really interested in playing this and using these abilities myself, if that makes sense?

Quote from: Timothy on March 29, 2023, 09:47:23 AMFair enough and same here, but I'm not really interested in playing this and using these abilities myself, if that makes sense?

The previous game was so good at gently pointing you towards things that I'm hopeful that there will be some amazing and creative uses of these abilities once you get into the main game that don't involve youtube/twitch style "I built the biggest Zelda raft in the world!".

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Timothy on March 29, 2023, 09:47:23 AMSeems like yesterdays gameplay trailer was mostly catered to Youtube and Twitch creators. 'Look at all the amazing new things you can do with the abilities!'

There are a lot of comments everywhere where people say they can't wait to see what creative content creators come up with. Fair enough and same here, but I'm not really interested in playing this and using these abilities myself, if that makes sense?
Yes this is me. I loved BotW but I didn't do anything remotely creative in the entire game and had no desire to. I chopped lads.

oggyraiding

I want proper dungeons back.

I want the spinning top you can ride on back.

I don't care about building a boat on a floating island, that ain't Zelda, mate.

madhair60

Timothy

I rather have a new Zelda game with dungeons then a Zelda game with flying boats.

Quote from: madhair60 on March 29, 2023, 01:22:21 PM#

are they fuck. Zelda dungeons were and are a joy.

Those ones are, but don't need more gloomy dungeons in 2023, there's been quite enough.

Beagle 2

Breath of the Wild is pretty much my favourite game ever after a lifetime of not getting Zelda at all, but since then I've gone back and dipped into a couple of the old ones and I'm currently playing through Windwaker - it's made me realise that what I enjoyed about BOTW could actually be found throughout the series and it wasn't the outlier I thought it was. Each game seems so to have such a unique identity so I'm actually a little underwhelmed by how this looks. I'm sure it will be amazing, but now I'm signed up as a fan I would have been up a totally fresh take.

Haven't played it in about 5 years but as far as I can remember pretty much all the creative sandbox stuff in BOTW was unnecessary for you to complete the game, or even 100% all the side bits. The fuse ability looks more like the new defining feature of this game so I think you'll probably be forced to use it to some extent.

It's been so long since I played BOTW that I don't really remember the map so I'm not too bothered about the world being reused, but I still hope / expect they've put a brand new coat of paint on all of it and we aren't going through all the same villages, doing all the same kind of shrines, korok seed collecting etc

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 29, 2023, 07:30:33 PMEach game seems so to have such a unique identity 

I dunno, Ocarina and Majora's Mask are quite similar as are a few of the 2d and DS ones.

I hope they populate the world a little more as BOTW just feels a bit empty to me.

jobotic

RetroRobot

Dungeons were the core of what zelda is and shrines are absolute bollocks shite.
Do not get the love for BOTW at all. Will still play this. I'm the clown.

Pink Gregory

Nah love shrines.  Love the little Korok puzzles too.

Didn't like the shrine when you had to move a ball about on a tipping surface. That shrine can fuck off.

Only criticism I have for BOTW is it felt a bit too light on boss fights.

Johnny Textface

Aren't the shrines basically mini dungeons and the divine beasts the proper main ones?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Father Bananas on March 30, 2023, 08:24:09 PMDidn't like the shrine when you had to move a ball about on a tipping surface. That shrine can fuck off.

Only criticism I have for BOTW is it felt a bit too light on boss fights.

Yeah, but I suppose without the escalation of having a new tool for each dungeon bosses feel a bit superfluous.  Sure you usually have to do something with the Sheikah slate but when you've largely been using those powers consistently throughout the game it doesn't feel as novel.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 30, 2023, 08:38:07 PMYeah, but I suppose without the escalation of having a new tool for each dungeon bosses feel a bit superfluous.  Sure you usually have to do something with the Sheikah slate but when you've largely been using those powers consistently throughout the game it doesn't feel as novel.

True, I suppose bosses were really the only part of the dungeons I liked. There were always a couple in each game that if get hopelessly lost in.
I liked the narrative in BOTW being slightly looser.

Pink Gregory

I can see why people might struggle with the flatter approach to progress.  I genuinely played for close to 100 hours before doing any of the Divine Beasts, and even then I started with the Gerudo one which almost feela like sequence-breaking.

So what I must have been doing is just doing shrines and looking for Koroks, without that much trouble evidently.  I can see why that might not be a desirable experience, it looks samey on paper but somehow I didn't find it to be.

RetroRobot

But all the shrines look the same and the puzzles are tut

Kelvin

I'm so fucking tired of hearing about dungeons in BotW. The game is a huge open world, why would you rather they made 6-8 big dungeons instead of hundreds of shrines dotted all over the place? We've had decades of classic dungeons anyway, let them experiment with something new for a few games.

I wonder if people would moan as much if the visuals were more varied (i.e. not the one shrine design and the one Divine Beast design). I think a big part of the problem is that the Divine Beasts and their bosses all look so samey that people don't think of them as individual dungeons, even though they're basically the same thing on a gameplay level*.

*with the Divine Beast's mobility mechanic replacing the items you would usually find in each one. 

madhair60

people like dungeons! i like dungeons! i miss them terribly, and remakes like Awakening or Skyward aren't scratching the itch, good as they are (and they are good). i don't think it's unreasonable, given the vast, vast praise that BOTW has been given in every corner of the games community, that some people lament the loss of lovely bespoke Nintendo-crafted dungeon environments. those little puzzle boxes are just a joy. i still hope there'll be new traditional Zelda, either "2D" or 3D, at some point. (i'm reasonably sure there will)

anyway, TOTK. I think the "fuse" thing is a game changer and as a weapon durability disliker I am extremely on board with it; it seems like a typically elegant solution to a problem that doesn't remove what people liked about the original system. I've been back on BOTW recently in a tenth or so attempt to enjoy myself and I think it's just about beginning to happen. the game is just so, so fucking difficult, everything hits so hard. i am liking it though. i think playing stuff like Immortals (which is basically BOTW but baby mode) has helped me to get some kind of footing.