Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

So I've got the 'Vid

Started by vainsharpdad, July 23, 2021, 07:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vainsharpdad

Just a self-pity post really. I had this week booked as leave, and had planned to spend the time on the Xbox eating crisps.

I felt ill on Friday - I often do just when I go on leave as I sort of drop my shields, so I just thought it was that. I've not had a cough or loss of smell or anything obviously COVID - and I am double-vaxxed. I had just been feeling really, really knackered.

But it was lasting too long, so the missus nagged me to do a PCR test just in case, and fuck me if it hasn't come back positive, and I seem to have a few other symptoms now which apparently can be linked to the Delta variant. I can't decide if the worst one is:

• The head pain which only occurs when I do cough (like a normal person coughs)
  • The soreness in my eyeballs whenever I move them
  • The terrible disturbed sleep
  • The original feeling of having been run over - which still persists and also means I don't want to go near the Xbox or eat any crisps.
I have no idea how I got this - I barely go out and my family are all regularly testing negative.

Summary: I am not enjoying Covid.

Dr Rock

Sorry to hear this. You might be able to get something to help you sleep?

vanilla.coffee

Be a real man and hope it goes away.

Chedney Honks

So much for the conspiracy, buddy. Life comes at you pretty fast.

Edit: Sorry, my mistake. Look after yourself, mate.

JamesTC

Incubate a new variant for a laugh.

Uncle TechTip

Feel like I want to contract covid now just to see what it's like

Not sure on painful eyeballs though. That's a symptom they kept a lid on. I am a big fan of looking around so this would hit me bad.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on July 23, 2021, 11:11:57 AM
Feel like I want to contract covid now just to see what it's like

Not sure on painful eyeballs though. That's a symptom they kept a lid on. I am a big fan of looking around so this would hit me bad.

Hope you dont get it

Fambo Number Mive

katzenjammer

If you don't mind me asking, how bad would you say you feel on a scale of 1 to 10?  And how does it compare to cold/flu type illnesses you've had?  Since I'm also fully vaxxed I'm wondering how bad it could be.

vainsharpdad

The first 4/5 days was like the worst flu I have ever had. Unable to exert much or concentrate and dizzy with muscle pain like I'd been tenderised. Sleeping was like a battle with my own psyche - waking every 20 mins or so all night. And as I said, unable to gently cough without front lobe pain or move my eyeballs without it hurting.

Thats improved a bit now, but by no means entirely - that was the worst of it..

I'd give it a 9

katzenjammer

Woah! That's a lot worse than I was hoping or expecting you'd say. Hope you get well soon

Ferris

Quote from: vainsharpdad on July 23, 2021, 01:23:39 PM
The first 4/5 days was like the worst flu I have ever had. Unable to exert much or concentrate and dizzy with muscle pain like I'd been tenderised. Sleeping was like a battle with my own psyche - waking every 20 mins or so all night. And as I said, unable to gently cough without front lobe pain or move my eyeballs without it hurting.

Thats improved a bit now, but by no means entirely - that was the worst of it..

I'd give it a 9

Christ, really? Sounds awful.

Hope you sort yourself off in time to play Xbox and eat crisps at least for some of the time off.

jobotic

Hope you feel much better very quickly.

My friend has just called off a small gathering for her fiftieth birthday. Her and her son have had it - both been double jabbed - recovering now but pretty poorly.

Just imagine if you weren't jabbed!

vainsharpdad

Aye, I think I might be on the up a little bit now, but glad I've been vaxxed.

Glebe

Aw no, hugs vainsharpdad, take it easy and get well soon.

Noodle Lizard

Worth remembering that PCR tests aren't 100% accurate, especially the at-home ones. If you've not got a cough or loss of smell/taste, and since you're double-vaxxed for COVID-19, you may just have another type of bug. Plenty of people I know have been coming down with stuff like that recently[nb]I had one of the worst I've ever felt in May - double-tested negative for COVID, so allowed/expected to work on site![/nb], presumably because their immune systems took a bit of a break from exposure over the last year or so.

Not that it makes that much of a difference, of course, if you feel like shite you feel like shite. Hope you're on the mend!

Sebastian Cobb

Sorry it's eating into your leave mate!

One of my mates who has had it is now signed off work because the oaf managed to slip down the stairs and fracture his coccyx; their main gripe was that 'they just had to sit there and get stoned in front of the tv' like that was some sort of big burden, the fucking ingrate.

Brian Freeze

Isn't it a thing where you can claim back your leave if you are ill while you are supposed to be off?

No idea how it works, I'm not head of HR.

Get well soon.

Icehaven

Sorry to hear that, Mr. Haven tested positive on Thursday after having similar symptoms (bad cough, loss of taste and smell, painful eyes). I had a test yesterday but I'm negative (both were PCR tests done at test centres). He hasn't had the jab but I've had my first, was supposed to have the 2nd next Friday but I've obviously had to reschedule it for the following week as we have to isolate until a week today. Presumably my jab worked then? Or does it not work like that and I've just not caught it somehow?

flotemysost

Quote from: icehaven on July 24, 2021, 10:56:46 AM
Sorry to hear that, Mr. Haven tested positive on Thursday after having similar symptoms (bad cough, loss of taste and smell, painful eyes). I had a test yesterday but I'm negative (both were PCR tests done at test centres). He hasn't had the jab but I've had my first, was supposed to have the 2nd next Friday but I've obviously had to reschedule it for the following week as we have to isolate until a week today. Presumably my jab worked then? Or does it not work like that and I've just not caught it somehow?

Loads of people I know had "household disparity" in terms of who tested positive and who didn't last year (in the winter, so before anyone had been jabbed) - my manager's partner (who lives with her) tested positive, but my manager and their young daughter were negative, even though they're almost certain they must have got it via the daughter's nursery. And it's not as if they weren't all in close physical contact with each other during that time. So it does seem to happen quite a lot.

Sorry to anyone who's ill/isolating anyway, hope you all feel better soon.

vainsharpdad

Vainsharpdaughter has it now as well. No real symptoms though.

Blue Jam

My werkplace are offering weekly saliva sample testing for employees. I thought "fuck that" and never bothered going, but my new boss just asked me "Have you signed up? It's a good idea if you're coming in regularly" and thought erk, perhaps I fackin' should.

Get well soon VSD x

greencalx

I've done the saliva test, BJ, and can't see any reason not to if you're going in regularly. It takes about 5 seconds - most time consuming part is wiping the tube and table down afterwards - and is way less unpleasant than swabbing. That said, they've had about 6 positive results in total so far, so one does wonder about the sensitivity.

Oh and yes, sorry to hear you've got it bad VSD. We had an outbreak in our household at the beginning of the month, I was the only person not to get it but luckily those who did got only the mildest symptoms. (In fact, one got nothing more than a briefly raised temperature and a headache). After a negative swab test I found it quite reassuring to continue to get negative saliva tests as well.

Blue Jam

Yes, I didn't realise it was a saliva test until the boss told me this week, I had somehow missed that part. The swab test I had wasn't pleasant and I didn't fancy doing one of those every week. Going to sign up for it now.

As for the sensitivity, isn't part of it just testing a new system and giving the team who developed it some research data? Still not entirely sure of the point, but I guess it won't hurt me to go.

greencalx

Yea, but unless they are following up people who test negative with swab tests I don't see how they can estimate the false negative rate. Edit: as for point, I think the idea is that it they get enough data to show this is a reliable mass surveillance method then it can be widely used during times when incidence rates are low in an effort to keep them low so we don't have to lock the fuck down again. I'd take gobbing in a pot once or twice a week over another lockdown any day of the week.

purlieu

Quote from: katzenjammer on July 23, 2021, 12:23:50 PM
Since I'm also fully vaxxed I'm wondering how bad it could be.
Friend of a friend is in intensive care despite being double jabbed. So the answer is: bad.

vainsharpdad

Still knackered and unable to sleep. Sleeping pills no help. Thinking this might turn into that long covid.

Chedney Honks

Seems pretty standard to be absolutely knackered for a good couple of weeks. I wouldn't start worrying about long Covid.

Cloud

Damn that sounds rough.  No conditions that may make the vaccine less effective for you?
Hope it clears up soon.

Quote from: greencalx on July 24, 2021, 05:55:15 PM
I've done the saliva test, BJ

That's not how a saliva test works...
Sorry, I'll get my coat.