Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rebel Moon (rebelious satellite film)

Started by Dex Sawash, November 13, 2023, 01:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Reckon this'll be shit? Clickbait I read said it's got Djimon Hansou "from Shazam!" which made me laugh.

Butchers Blind

madhair60

zack snyder so guaranteed to be worth watching tbh

cunt's mental.

samadriel

Quote from: madhair60 on November 13, 2023, 02:55:03 PMzack snyder so guaranteed to be worth watching tbh

cunt's mental.

Is this one of those "at least George Lucas is crazy" opinions? If a filmmaker is going to be as shit as Zach Snyder, I don't care how loco they are, it never results in a better film. Loopy, crappy George Lucas Star Wars prequels are in no way better than calculated, crappy committee-led Star Wars Disney sequels, any love for stupid fucking Phantom Menace over boring fucking Force Awakens is just a glitch of auteur theory.

Sorry for talking Star Wars in the Rebel Moon thread, but I think it's a fair analogy. Zach's never made a good film; unless he's channelled his ability to make watchable two minute bites out of the credits of Watchmen or the end of Justice League (in which case you're more likely to get substance-free Sucker Punch stuff, whoopee), this movie doesn't have a hope. What does it profit a film to have mental Snyder direction/writing?  Even less colour on screen?  Even slower slomo fight scenes? Even worse performances? Even more childish politics? Well sign me up!

Edit:  just rewatched the trailer,  I must concede that some of it is quite colourful,  but still wank.

phantom_power

Quote from: madhair60 on November 13, 2023, 02:55:03 PMzack snyder so guaranteed to be worth watching tbh

cunt's mental.

Is he? All his films are pretty dull and have none of the unhinged charm of the Wakowskis.

Wonder how much slo-mo there will be

13 schoolyards

I mean, he's no Michael Bay, but some of his films have felt like they've come close to being decent. Plus they tend to have failed in different ways, so there's the possibility that he might finally make one where it all comes together.

Probably not this one, but you never know

Mr Vegetables

I will defend Batman vs Superman till the supercows come home, but I've only seen the extended version which is probably why I am more favourable to it. I think it's the best superhero movie I've ever seen, and by some way.

I have some sympathy with Snyder because he is stuck in a hell of being criticised for being ham-fisted and also having his work badly misunderstood, and in those situations it's not clear what you can feasibly do

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on November 14, 2023, 11:19:34 AMI have some sympathy with Snyder because he is stuck in a hell of being criticised for being ham-fisted and also having his work badly misunderstood, and in those situations it's not clear what you can feasibly do
Get a better scriptwriter? I don't think it's a coincidence that the only film of his that seems widely liked is Dawn of the Dead, which was written by James Gunn.

I agree with Samadriel there. Snyder isn't crazy, just pretentious. If anyone misunderstand his films, it's him.

Mister Six

Snyder's a meathead with very little going on under the surface, he doesn't strike me as weird or unusual at all. When his films are odd it's more in the sense of "Christ, who thought this was a good idea and why?" rather than "Wow, this is incredible and bizarre!"

madhair60

the madhair pile ons continue. it's like you have no regard for the man behind the laffs. the sad, sad man.

Mister Six

If it helps, it's Snyder I'm objecting to. I almost went on one of my patented overlong, overdetailed, boring rants so consider yourself lucky if anything.

Dex Sawash

I have just looked up this Snyder fella's films and have only seen a few minutes of one, 300. 300 looked wrong and I didn't not like it. Kind of like tried to do a Harryhausen film but didn't have any clay so the used some kind of filter.

dissolute ocelot

It is kind of nice that it's not an adaptation of anything. But on the other hand it stars Charlie Hunnam who is distractingly awful in most films. And the fact that it's not an adaptation of anything could mean that the story's crap. I think Snyder is by no means a good director, but his film often look pretty, which is something.

Blumf

Watching the trailer, and it's just a game of saying what sci-fi/fantasy film a particular shot reminds you of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rHLOXbFZtI

LOTR, Star Wars & Trek, Dune, Fifth Element, Krull, Avatar...

bgmnts

I love the idea of Snyder directing Anthony Hopkins.

samadriel

Quote from: bgmnts on November 15, 2023, 12:39:36 PMI love the idea of Snyder directing Anthony Hopkins.

"You think your character wouldn't kill someone?  You're a fucking fuckhead, Sir Anthony, stop living in a fantasyland!"

Butchers Blind

Been getting bad reivews so far. Even the fawning Empire could only muster 2 stars.

Bad Ambassador

Having been made redundant today, seeing this at 9% on RT was the perfect tonic.

Glebe

Gulftastic

Sick of Mr Spoon stealing their resources, the moon folk finally declare independence from Earth. All known Clangers are moved to internment camps.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dex Sawash

I'M SO EXCITED THAT netflix is showing this at 10 tonight usatime

Dex Sawash

Obvious thing I just realized, yesterday was Wednesday and RM is 10 tonight

Dex Sawash

This movie is terrible, so far. Going to stop and watch Valerian and the Extra Words instead.

dead-ced-dead

This is like what it would be like if Speed Racer/Jupiter Ascending era Wachowskis with none of the weirdness, charm or sincerity. Snyder is like a conman, rifling through the bargain bin of sci-fi history. It's a bit Dune, a bit Star Wars, a bit prog rock album cover, baddies dressed like Nazis like our lad Paul Verhoeven etc.

Blumf

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on December 22, 2023, 03:01:05 PMbaddies dressed like Nazis like our lad Paul Verhoeven etc.

That was Lucas. Verhoeven had the goodies (Bill, Tim, and Graeme) dressed as Nazis, ironically.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Blumf on December 22, 2023, 04:30:35 PMThat was Lucas. Verhoeven had the goodies (Bill, Tim, and Graeme) dressed as Nazis, ironically.

Thaaaaats right. Verhoeven was a cheeky boy and he was trying to make the point that the heroes in Starship Troopers were the invading fascists.

I'm mixing up my space Nazis!

elliszeroed

Wow, I bailed after forty minutes. And I usually enjoy/ like Snyder movies for one reason or another, but this was utter, utter shit. I mean, mind-bogglingly bad, acting, dialogue, story structure. And there's a part two?
And there's a directors cut that is three hours long..? (Although the directors cut of Batman/ Superman was a much better movie, but I can't imagine an extra forty minutes of this would improve it substantially).

elliszeroed

Whoever was the casting agent on this needs a sound talking to.