Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:42:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

External Hard Drive Woes (Mac user)

Started by Magnum Valentino, February 24, 2024, 08:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum Valentino

I've spent most of the last momth tidying up my external hard drive, an old WD Passport, 2TB storage. Mostly this involved renaming files, muxing in subs or commentary tracks, that sort of thing, using MKVToolNix. I noticed a few days ago that toolnix stopped responding while working on certain files, after hundreds upon hundred of manual jobs I ran. I presumed it was just those files, so went through the usual procedure of rebooting the computer, scanning the drive through first aid etc. There's still some spare 'safety space' on the drive, though I read this isn't really a concern with drives used only for storage.

Anyway, the problem is this -  This whole task was undertaken as preparation for backing the drive's contents up to Google Drive (thread to follow!). Now, while I can plug the drive into my TV and watch its contents as normal with no issues, when I plug it into my Mac the 'loading' screen never populates and I can't get any files off it.

For this to have happened as I loaded my very last batch of files on there is genuinely upsetting as I've spent untold joyless hours on this project this month and now I'm worried it'll all be for nothing.

Any suggestions for software or anything I might avail of to get the drive back to where it was? I'm wondering is there a 'problem file' on there somewhere that disk utility isn't able to pinpoint.