Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,795
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:56:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinner V: The Dream(ed up) Child (molestors): A New Carbon-era

Started by madhair60, June 22, 2020, 10:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Quote from: Small Potatoes on July 06, 2020, 06:12:07 PM
I dunno, there's something about the tone of the JB account that makes me think it's not Linehan. I suppose it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a (formerly) professional writer could pull off this sort of sustained literary ventriloquism, but it just doesn't sound like his voice to me. JB seems much more reserved and less unhinged, admittedly while spouting the same old shite. 

Nice to see Sian has a new Messiah, though.

to me it's the same petty, point-scoring, sample-size error misunderstanding, far right elision that Linehan proper did only without the need to maintain any sense of social face.

tomasrojo

QuoteA pattern I'm starting to notice:
- GC person engages with someone online;
- mid-dialogue, person states "I'm a minor";
- GC person then attacked/reported for "harassing minors".

It's maybe a little suspicious that the suspected sock puppet account is describing the type of interaction that was getting Linehan into trouble with Twitter, but implying that some sort of entrapment or expediency is at the root of it.

chveik

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 06, 2020, 06:04:53 PM
Glinner was kicked off 26th June, so if that is him, it's weird Twitter didn't kick that account off at the same time. Cunts and trolls do often sign up backup accounts (or "lifeboat" accounts as Linehan would put it), but he would have had to be taking precautions while using it the whole time.

Edit: interesting. He might have been given the account to take over. Or it might not be Linehan at all, who knows.

maybe he started it that time he was temporarily banned?

Jockice

I've just had Linehan appear on the 'people you may know' bit on Facebook. I don't know him and have no desire to know him. I do know our one mutual friend though, although she's on of those people I only tend to bump into every few years. So far she's not liked or commented on anything he's posted though. So that's alright.

Barry Admin

Quote from: chveik on July 06, 2020, 06:27:19 PM
maybe he started it that time he was temporarily banned?

That account seems to have started June 12th, and Linehan's account was locked on May the 16th. James Barry also tweeted non-stop right through June.

Linehan did 3115 tweets over the last 30 days, Barry did 1208. It's a lot of output, especially with four WhatsApp groups on top of that.

Dunno for sure either way, and kind of lost interest.

buttgammon

Cuellar

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 06, 2020, 06:04:53 PM
Glinner was kicked off 26th June, so if that is him, it's weird Twitter didn't kick that account off at the same time. Cunts and trolls do often sign up backup accounts (or "lifeboat" accounts as Linehan would put it), but he would have had to be taking precautions while using it the whole time.

Edit: interesting. He might have been given the account to take over. Or it might not be Linehan at all, who knows.

Either way, I think we can all agree: there are some

BIZARRE IRREGULARITIES WITH THAT ACCOUNT

Quote from: Cuellar on July 06, 2020, 09:44:52 PM
Either way, I think we can all agree: there are some

BIZARRE IRREGULARITIES WITH THAT ACCOUNT

Laughed at this

thr0b

DrGreggles

apopheniac

Quote from: thr0b on July 07, 2020, 10:10:41 AM
Twelve hours without a post? His influence is DEAD.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was some poor chap from Ireland who just wanted to post nothing but non-stop transphobia and shame female celebrities for not agreeing with him.

DrGreggles

Quote from: apopheniac on July 07, 2020, 10:37:42 AM
I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was some poor chap from Ireland who just wanted to post nothing but non-stop transphobia and shame female celebrities for not agreeing with him.

He will be poor after the court case and divorce...

Blue Jam

One of James Barry's friends:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FrancesLumsden/status/1280413307216760832

Margaret Atwood apparently believes transwomen are women. This is obviously not down to misogyny or stupidity because as we all know Margaret Atwood is a feminist and she is very clever. Obviously there's no way The Great Margaret Atwood really believes this, so it must be because she's "pandering", or because her husband recently died, or because she's Canadian...

It can't possibly be because she simply isn't a raging bigot, could it?

This desperate mental gymnastics is disturbingly close to the right-wing rhetoric of "I'm just saying what everyone is thinking" used to justify bigotry by pretending everyone else is also bigoted but just does their bigotry in secret, or lies about it.

JaDanketies

Atwood has been pro trans since forever and even distanced herself from feminism accordingly. Which makes their use of terms like handmaiden even more galling.

Armin Meiwes

It's ALL actual right wing rhetoric, they just happen to hate trans women instead of immigrants, but the tactics are exactly the same - ie take a few examples of some shitty stuff a small handful of trans women have done and then when you say "yeah but you could do this about any group you care to mention, it's just anecdote not statistics" the response is always the same HOW MANY WOMEN HAVE TO BE ATTACKED TO BE TOO MANY THEN. If you point out there is no difference between this line of attack and the right's demonisation of immigrants they properly lose it.

Dayraven

Oh, maybe The Handmaid's Take was suggesting that defining people entirely in terms of their biology was a bad thing, after all.

Blue Jam

Quote from: JaDanketies on July 07, 2020, 11:18:12 AM
Atwood has been pro trans since forever and even distanced herself from feminism accordingly. Which makes their use of terms like handmaiden even more galling.

The Handmaid's Tale satirises rigid ideas some real-world societies have regarding what defines a woman. Handmaids who can't conceive, Marthas who can't or won't do chores, and lesbians (deemed "Gender Traitors") are all declared to be "Unwomen" and punished by being sent to The Colonies and put to work clearing up radioactive waste (before eventually dying of radiation poisoning).

If anything transwoman and their allies have more in common with the rebellious and marginalised "Unwomen" than the Handmaids and other women who participate in the society of Gilead. Even then those Handmaids still aren't willingly pandering to the needs of men, they're sex slaves and plenty of them commit suicide or try to escape.

It's the TERFs who are more like the patriarchal rulers of Gilead, insisting on a very rigid definition of "woman" and telling anyone who disagrees SHUT UP! FUCK OFF!

I suspect that Glinner and his friends who use "Handmaiden" as an insult haven't actually read the book, or have just seen a bit of the Hulu adaptation. Perhaps The Handmaid's Tale is to TERFs what Nineteen Eighty-Four is to right wing people.

Jaich

Mister Six

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 07, 2020, 10:52:40 AM
One of James Barry's friends:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FrancesLumsden/status/1280413307216760832

My Twitter app is going through one of its periodic shitty moods where it refuses to load anything. Are you linking to this quite extraordinary exchange?

HANDMAIDEN!

mjwilson

That comment about tattoos... are they saying "thank goodness I didn't get any tattoos done of the Handmaid's Tale back when that was the fashion"? Or does tattoos imply something else which I'm missing?

Cuellar

I went to a talk/'In conversation with...' thing with Margaret Atwood last year - she was great - and there were loads of people actually dressed up as handmaidens (from the TV show). I think it was for a political point, they were all from some form of women's rights group I think, but it still looked a bit weird. Like they were cosplaying for a laugh.

They also encouraged you to tweet your questions to Margaret Atwood during the interval and some would get read out. I tweeted 'Fancy a pint?' and the host read it out - I was mortified that it came across as disrespectful or a stupid bit of braggadocio. I was so wracked with embarrassment that I didn't even hear her reply.

chveik

apopheniac

Quote from: Mister Six on July 07, 2020, 05:55:13 PM
My Twitter app is going through one of its periodic shitty moods where it refuses to load anything. Are you linking to this quite extraordinary exchange?

HANDMAIDEN!

I do love that they only ever mentioned that specific book out of Atwood's career, while conveniently ignoring that "gender traitors" were vilified just as much. (Obviously it refers to gay people specifically, but if you think a trans person would have a happy life in Gilead, you're probably working with false information/propaganda.)

Glinner, on the other hand, would probably be right at home restricting the rights of women who disagree with him and playing condescending scrabble with the ones he likes.

JaDanketies

These guys are crap Atwood fans, acting like her pro-trans opinions are a surprise.

"For instance, some feminists have historically been against lipstick and letting transgender women into women's washrooms. Those are not positions I have agreed with." - 2018, Guardian interview. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jan/20/margaret-atwood-i-am-not-a-prophet-science-fiction-is-about-now

It's been on her Wikipedia page since whenever I started watching the Handmaid's Tale. (I got the book for Christmas but I got my first son earlier that year so I've not yet had the pleasure to read much of her writing.)

QDRPHNC

Margaret Atwood is the definition of old-school classy, a quality with Linehan will never be able to acquire.

Quote from: Cuellar on July 07, 2020, 08:56:34 PM
They also encouraged you to tweet your questions to Margaret Atwood during the interval and some would get read out. I tweeted 'Fancy a pint?' and the host read it out - I was mortified that it came across as disrespectful or a stupid bit of braggadocio. I was so wracked with embarrassment that I didn't even hear her reply.

Doesn't sound bad. Moderators love that kind of thing, it's an easy laugh from the audience.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on July 07, 2020, 09:56:06 PM
Margaret Atwood is the definition of old-school classy, a quality with Linehan will never be able to acquire.

I sat behind her at the opera a few years ago. Now that's class (not me obv I was dragged along against my will).

Cuellar

Quote from: chveik on July 07, 2020, 08:58:52 PM
Legend Cuellar

Yeah :( In my defence I deleted the tweet about 5 minutes after sending it but obviously it had been cached somewhere.