Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:42:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gigs in the time of COVID

Started by Kankurette, July 05, 2021, 10:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Not sure whether to post this here or Oscillations, but it IS about the 'rona. What's happening with live music now? I've got tickets booked for the Manics later this year and a couple of Space gigs, and as I've said elsewhere, Space did one in Liverpool (no, I didn't go, I forgot it was on) where their singer got in trouble with security for hi-fiving the front row and security had to keep telling fans to get away from the stage. But most of the gigs I've booked tickets for have been moved to autumn/winter. Are they going ahead from 19th July? Is it going to be large venues only or smaller ones first?

bomb_dog

At this stage, fuck knows.
I gambled a month or so ago and got a ticket to see AA Williams for a seated show in Bristol in September, and even though I'm double jabbed I'm already thinking it's a bad idea, even if I went masked up.

September is a very long way away at the moment. Just hold tight and stay safe for the moment, I think.

DrGreggles

I have so many tickets for gigs that have been cancelled, rescheduled and cancelled again.
Some have been refunded, some re-rescheduled, and some still pending updates.
I've totally lost track of them, so I'm bound to miss one at some point.

checkoutgirl

I got a ticket for an American ambient musician called William Basinski in a church in Mount St Dublin in November. I've never heard anything he's done and only been jabbed once but it's in a church and it's 4 months away and it's only 20 quid so fingers crossed. I think people are crying out for a gig, any gig, anywhere by almost anyone and might go a bit mental when they get there.

Even out and about town I find myself getting very anxious and put on my mask when I see more than a few people around me and that's outdoors. Fuck knows how I'll get on indoors at a gig. I definitely fear people now and I feel it might take years for that to go away. All people are now dangerous disease carriers to me for the foreseeable future.

Bit sad.

Dusty Substance

Live music is what I've missed the most for the last 16 months. I had tickets for Sparks, Goldfrapp, Echo And The Bunnymen, Marc Almond - All cancelled and postponed until 2022 (I bet Almond's been cancelled the dirty old bollocks - I BET HE FUCKING HAS!).

There's been live music events in my town over the last two months, but they're all obviously seated and limited numbers. A friend gave me tickets to see a local band play their seated and socially distanced album launch show. The band were good but there was no sense of excitement - About 150 people, spread out on spaced out tables in a venue with a capacity of about 3000 standing. I've always fucking loathed seated gigs. There's no energy or atmosphere. The best gigs are when the audience is crammed shoulder to shoulder in a sweaty venue.

If seated gigs is the future of live mucic then I'm not going to bother going. It's like watching a cut for TV, family friendly version of Boogie Nights. If it means watching it with all the sex, drugs, swearing and violence removed, it's not Boogie Nights.

Kankurette

I hate seated gigs too, Tori Amos excepted because she always does them so I'm kind of used to it (although you do get hardcore fans rushing the stage at the end). I've been to seated Space gigs and it's a weird experience - I think they got banned from the Epstein Theatre because they invited the audience onstage for Female of the Species (which they did at most of the venues on that tour) and barely anyone sat down. And one time I got up to dance at a Manics gig when I was in a seated area and the woman behind me poked me in the back and shouted at me to sit down. At least for the singles/well-known songs, most people in the seated bits stand up anyway, but I do find it limiting and I hate not being able to dance, especially if it's someone like Sleater-Kinney or the Manics.

SpiderChrist

Got a ticket for Gruff Rhys in October and one for GYBE! in January. Also supposed to be playing a gig at the end of October and there's talk of another possibly before that.

Can't say that my current state of mind means I'm looking forward to them.

bgmnts

How do you feel not totally overwhelmed and swallowed up by a mass of people at any sort of event like a gig? Too many people yo.

DrGreggles

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 06, 2021, 11:33:16 AM
Got a ticket for Gruff Rhys in October

Likewise. Looks like being my first one.

checkoutgirl

Even if everything goes well I imagine social distancing is going to be here for years to come, whether government mandated or just personal safety, which doesn't fit well with live music. It certainly doesn't suit any guitar based music and that's leaving aside the general anxiety of catching the bug or trying to wear a mask and drink beer. It's shite all round.

I hope getting the second jab will mitigate some of these feelings of anxiety but I can't shake the thought of lying in hospital about to die and then asking myself if seeing Suggs on stage was worth a horrible, slow, painful death with no family around.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2021, 11:35:03 AM
How do you feel not totally overwhelmed and swallowed up by a mass of people at any sort of event like a gig? Too many people yo.

I used to when I was younger and actually blacked out on a few occasions at gigs and a festival and came to by the side of the stage with no memory of how I got there but it's all part of the experience. Got used to as I got older.

Pauline Walnuts

I went to a socially distanced one in early June.

I had to self isolate for a week in mid June.

:sadface:

Pinball

Watch it from space. It's the only way to be sure.

flotemysost

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2021, 11:35:03 AM

As a shortarse I've definitely had moments of feeling a bit claustrophobic - when you're in a tightly packed crowd and everyone's at least a head taller than you there's nothing remotely approaching fresh air, just a fug of armpits and stale Carling, plus there's the simple fact that you can't see shit. I also once got picked up by a stranger and unceremoniously passed over his head to crowdsurf, which was fun until someone dropped me about 10 seconds later. However if there's a choice between standing or seated tickets the majority of the time I'll go for standing, being in crowds/large groups of people don't bother me in itself and right now I miss it like fuck.

I've had a few booked gigs roll over multiple times now, nothing until next summer as it stands, so god knows. My brother's band recently announced a European tour early next year, I'm stoked for them but, I hate to say it, that feels pretty fucking ambitious right now. I miss live music so so much and I'm heartbroken that it's yet another area the future of which is being compromised largely by the utter incompetency and sheer disdain being dished out by them odious cunts in charge.

Dusty Substance

Two venues in my town have cancelled gigs scheduled for July due to staff members testing positive for COVID. Which is dispiriting as fuck.

Kankurette

I'm going to see Bob Vylan at the end of the month. I'm sure this will bite me in the arse.

Dirty Boy

I'd almost forgotten i was meant to be seeing Faith No More last year. It's set for next June now, but we'll probably all be dead by then. Typical.

Quote from: Kankurette on July 15, 2021, 01:39:08 AM
I'm going to see Bob Vylan at the end of the month. I'm sure this will bite me in the arse.
He might, he's looking a bit feral.

boki

Quote from: Kankurette on July 15, 2021, 01:39:08 AM
I'm going to the Leicester gig next month.  I await your lurgy with unabated breath.

I'm also booked to go and see Mike Vennart and chums play Black Sabbath's Paranoid album in full in a pub in Todmorden the weekend after that, so it really is imperative that I don't die[nb]most likely of kidney failure the way this summer's going[/nb]

canadagoose

I'm going to see Marina and the Pet Shop Boys next year. It'll be weird, everyone being distanced. I wish they had seats though, I'm going to have to bring a stick to lean on.

flotemysost

Quote from: Dirty Boy on July 15, 2021, 04:56:11 PM
I'd almost forgotten i was meant to be seeing Faith No More last year. It's set for next June now, but we'll probably all be dead by then. Typical.

Same. I was 30 when I booked tickets, at a minimum I'll be 33 (and possibly also dead) if/when it goes ahead. Any event booked that far back now occupies a weird Schrödinger's Cat-like limbo in my head, I can see the rescheduled dates but I don't really believe it's going to happen. Especially anything involving acts from outside the UK.

WhoMe

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 06, 2021, 09:48:54 AM
I got a ticket for an American ambient musician called William Basinski in a church in Mount St Dublin in November.

For what it's worth, William Basinski was one of the last gigs I went to pre-Covid. It was a church called the Round Chapel in Hackney, and it was bloody magic. If you're 50/50 by the time it comes around, I don't think you'd regret seeing him.
Channel One vs Iration Steppas is the night before my second jab in August. Going to go masked up but if it feels off prob won't stick around. Just happy to give Channel One some money really. 

flotemysost

Quote from: WhoMe on July 15, 2021, 08:54:13 PM
For what it's worth, William Basinski was one of the last gigs I went to pre-Covid. It was a church called the Round Chapel in Hackney, and it was bloody magic.

Ah, that was the site of my last pre-COVID gig too (aside from a couple I volunteered at), different gig though (Colin Stetson). It's a lovely venue.

non capisco

My first gig since Carly Rae Jepsen in February 2020 will be going to see my friend Paul Mosley next month. His stuff's quite gentle and folky but I'm still gonna take loads of pingers and start a mosh pit. 

non capisco

I'm not really going to do that, Paul, if you're reading this.

non capisco

boki

peanutbutter

See Jeff Mills playing Fabric in September, was gonna see him just before the pandemic so I'm def still interested but with the numbers atm... seems unlikely I'll go.

scarecrow

Nick Cave has just announced a full capacity UK theatre tour in September, like some kind of cunt.

Sebastian Cobb

There's some bits that have rolled over and might actually happen now but I don't really want to go to them and quite likely may not. Especially if covid passports get implemented in some sort of dodgy electronic privacy-invading way.

I've also managed to book something that has clashed with a rollover because I'm an idiot.