Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "New" Doctor Who Thread

Started by boxofslice, October 21, 2009, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papalaz4444244

Quote from: biggytitbo on October 29, 2009, 08:41:51 PM
It's not a sequel at all, apart from the fact the Master is back, and they'll probably be a 30 second explanation of how he survived. I wish it was a sequel though, that'd be great!
Is he back back, or flashback back, though?

biggytitbo

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on October 29, 2009, 09:29:15 PM
Is he back back, or flashback back, though?

I dunno! There is some suggestion the finale contains dream sequences...so who knows?

Serge

papalaz4444244

Quote from: Serge on October 30, 2009, 12:38:29 AM
For fuck's sake.
..like the 5th Doctor's death visions (RTDs fave) possibly.

Jah Wobbler

Quote from: Ghost of Troubled Joe on October 29, 2009, 08:28:13 PM
It's not really a sequel though is it? Unless you consider "The Mind of Evil" to be a sequel to "Terror of the Autons". Or "Planet of Fire" a sequel to "The King's Demons". Or "Survival" a sequel to "Trial of a Time Lord".
Oh it will be, RTD is obsessed with his own continuity, he's like a dog that keeps wanting to revisit its own turd.

Jacobi is still available isn't he? But no, we get Simm doing his Mr Humphries impression again, Lord help us!! End this era already!!

Jemble Fred

Haha, good one, Moffat...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8333466.stm

I think we can safely label that.. ho ho... 'Who-bris'!

Jah Wobbler

Quote from: Stephen Moffat
Moffat who is writing six of the episodes and overseeing another seven, promised fans "great stories" and said there would "joyous moments" as well as "heartbreak".
The hope is this doesn't mean

Joyous moments = Flogging the dead horse that is "humans are bwilliant!"
Heartbreak = Oh fuck, the crying towel, again!

No no, of course not. It'll be something completely different.

Quote from: Stephen Moffat
I always liked the Tardis from the Peter Cushing [Dr Who] movies, and wanted to make it more like that
Oh a nice change from the current Tardis then, which is based on the, er, Peter Cushing movies.

gloria

Quote from: Jah Wobbler on October 30, 2009, 11:17:13 AM
The hope is this doesn't mean

Joyous moments = Flogging the dead horse that is "humans are bwilliant!"
Heartbreak = Oh fuck, the crying towel, again!

No no, of course not. It'll be something completely different.
s.

Sorry, you're angry about what you imagine might happen?  Blimey.  Imagine if something you don't like actually did happen.  You'd probably poo your pants or something.  Really badly.

Jah Wobbler

Oh I think they've got previous on these fronts. Hoping I'm wrong of course.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Jah Wobbler on October 30, 2009, 11:17:13 AMOh a nice change from the current Tardis then, which is based on the, er, Peter Cushing movies.

Maybe he means the interior. If so, I for one welcome a new console room resembling something a daffy professor knocked up in his back garden. In any case, the exterior of Matt Smith TARDIS looks more like Cushing's than the previous one, doesn't it?

Also, it's very difficult to not hear your snipey posts in the voice of Rick from The Young Ones.

Jah Wobbler

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 30, 2009, 01:04:25 PM
Also, it's very difficult to not hear your snipey posts in the voice of Rick from The Young Ones.
I think New Who apologists sound like Rik when he's overdosing on laxatives. Either that, or anyone making a very public display of taking their ball back.

Jemble Fred

Making up terms like "New Who apologists" just compounds the problem really.

Jah Wobbler

Yes, the Gallifrey Base forum is an invention of my own imagination. Some of my best friends of are New Who fans (seriously). To qualify, I'm only talking about that section that are so insecure about their opinions they have to take a contrary view as a personal insult.

VegaLA

Anyone else curious as to why the plot dictates the Tardis is redesigned to look like the old style Tardis ? I thought this was due to filming in HD. No 11 going to visit a No 1 story? What a headfuck that would be if he swapped No 1's Tardis for his.

lipsink

It was mentioned on the last thread that there was a rumour that the Tardis
Spoiler alert
gets destroyed in Tennant's last adventure and Smith has to rebuild it at the start of the next series. Someone said that Smith's Doc is living in a little village rebuilding the Tardis as the series opens and he meets Amy Pond when she's younger. That could be all bollocks though.
[close]

Jemble Fred

I didn't realise you could just rebuild a Tardis, complete with broken chameleon wotsit, from bits of Earth crap. Doesn't that make a mockery of hundreds of Tardis-in-peril-based plots over the years?

lipsink

Well, maybe it's not completely destroyed. Just that it needs a break and a fresh new perspective on things via a makeover.

biggytitbo

Tardis' arent built, they're grown. Ahhh...

boxofslice

I like the idea of The Doctor hiding away in a sleepy english village waiting for his TARDIS to grow. Eating cream teas and playing village green cricket

The Widow of Brid

They did about a year's worth of the BBC books based on roughly that premise. Dr Who hangs about on earth while his TARDIS regrows.
I remember it being a fairly interesting story arc but it's been about ten years since I read them. He had amnesia, too. Which I think he'd given himself deliberately for some reason.

sirhenry

Not seen this here yet:
QuoteThe Waters of Mars, to be shown on BBC One on 15 November.

lipsink

It'd be a great little opening episode if it were true: the Doc in a sleepy little village, 'Kingdom' style. Not sure how it would fit in with the images of Smith in Tennant's costume with Amy Pond in London though.

boxofslice

Quote from: lipsink on October 30, 2009, 04:50:31 PM
It'd be a great little opening episode if it were true: the Doc in a sleepy little village, 'Kingdom' style.

Helping John Nettles out with his little problems in Midsomer.

gatchamandave

Quote from: Jemble Fred on October 30, 2009, 04:02:42 PM
I didn't realise you could just rebuild a Tardis, complete with broken chameleon wotsit, from bits of Earth crap. Doesn't that make a mockery of hundreds of Tardis-in-peril-based plots over the years?

Ah, now, there is the deleted scene from Journey's End where genuine-Doctor gives hand-Doctor a bit of the TARDIS from which he can regrow a new TARDIS of his own "within a hundred years "  because Doctor-Donna has thought up a means to do this which neither of the existing Doctors could have come up with ( sourced from Tat Wood's About Time - volume 3 if you're wondering ).

So, this would be in line with that.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: The Widow of Brid on October 30, 2009, 04:43:22 PM
They did about a year's worth of the BBC books based on roughly that premise. Dr Who hangs about on earth while his TARDIS regrows.
I remember it being a fairly interesting story arc but it's been about ten years since I read them. He had amnesia, too. Which I think he'd given himself deliberately for some reason.
I was about to say the same thing....

QuoteMeanwhile, having rescued the Doctor from near-death, Compassion leaves the now-amnesiac Doctor on Earth in the late 19th century while she drops Fitz off in 2001 to await the long process of the Doctor's — and the now-embryonic TARDIS's — recovery (The Ancestor Cell). She then departs for parts unknown. The Doctor spends the next hundred years travelling the world and living through its history, eventually adopting Miranda (Father Time), a young girl with two hearts. Miranda leaves the Doctor to face her own destiny in the far future, and the Doctor goes on to meet Fitz as arranged, thanks to a note Compassion slipped into his pocket a century before.
BBC Eighth Doctor Adventures.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Jemble Fred on October 30, 2009, 10:57:53 AM
I think we can safely label that.. ho ho... 'Who-bris'!

The Doctors' Jewish? Is it going to be like him carrying his hand around in a jar?

samadriel

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 30, 2009, 10:11:00 PM
The Doctors' Jewish? Is it going to be like him carrying his hand around in a jar?
"Little did you realise that you circumcised me within the first blah-de-blah hours of my regeneration!!!"

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: Jemble Fred on October 30, 2009, 04:02:42 PM

The TARDIS has already been broken up, in both The Mind Robber and Frontios.

Backstage With Slowdive

Speaking of The Mind Robber, how about reprising the "land of Fiction" idea by having the Doc materialise in a crime serial, ie. a sleepy village where crimes regulalrly occur and are solved by a master-sleuth? The twist being that it's entertainment for viewers elsewhere (like Carnival Of Monsters).

Yes, I know I'm just saying "cross X with Y", but in a show this old it's inevitable most ideas have been tried in some form before.