Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:22:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Discussion Thread number 3

Started by Dr Rock, July 22, 2018, 10:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 04, 2018, 07:50:56 PM
Try using one that makes sense.

Or one that isn't a euphemism for the kind of sterile marketing-led, image-obsessed triangulation that we've all come to love over the last 2.1 decades.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 04, 2018, 09:41:20 PM
Or one that isn't a euphemism for the kind of sterile marketing-led, image-obsessed triangulation that we've all come to love over the last 2.1 decades.

You're being a bit unfair on HB, here Paul. I'm guessing that the term 'optics' accurately reflects how the people he's referring to would see it.

Paul Calf

I know, and perhaps it was a bit harsh, but I do think we should train ourselves to care a bit less about people who are never going to have our best interests at heart.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 05, 2018, 02:51:33 PM
I know, and perhaps it was a bit harsh, but I do think we should train ourselves to care a bit less about people who are never going to have our best interests at heart.

I think sarcasm behind using the term 'optics' suggests sufficient training.

mothman

Perhaps he was just piloting the idea of introducing the word to CaB, testing the watersm as it were, An, if you will, beachhead.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Zetetic

Not really clear why the 'abort Brexit' options are that damaging to the DUP.

They oversaw a £0.5bn-over-two-years fuckup and collapsed devolved government in the aftermath, and saw no great impact on their vote. Not really sure why something largely out of their control leading to avoiding bad things happening would be a much larger problem for them.

jobotic

Nice language from Arlene Foster. "Blood red lines".

Political wing of the UVF.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Bhazor

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 11, 2018, 08:01:09 AM
New Brexit hashtag: https://twitter.com/PhysWiz/status/1050273865694400512

That is quiet the response from Anna Garrs there.

'The brutal history of colonialism' we shouldn't have taken education or medicine to Africa? It certainly would have kept the population down!

And her twitter profile.

Quoteanna garrs
@certual Brexit.Stroppy English woman Love animals kids and witty people. Liberal logic an oxymoron! admire ex-muslims for their bravery. Free speech worth fighting for

Not that there are any right wing racists in the brexit camp of course. Not a single right winger in the whole thing. None.

Certainly nothing scary about them

https://twitter.com/certual/status/1041276434650673152

Oh and

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/uk-arms-exports-statistics-increase-saudi-arabia-bombs-yemen/

QuoteBrexit The £6.6bn of UK arms licences represents an 83 per cent rise on the previous year. Senior ministers have promised to grow defence exports ahead of Brexit and manufacturers have been boosted by a succession of lucrative deals, particularly in the Middle East.

Gwwarrrrrhhhhh liberal brexit soooo gooood

Zetetic

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 11, 2018, 01:14:07 PM
https://skwawkbox.org/2018/10/10/centrists-and-eu-admit-corbyns-brexit-plan-was-right-all-along/

Bespoke customs union?
What does that even mean here? Turkey?

QuoteTheresa May's doomed attempt to negotiate the UK remaining in the customs union, which would tie the country's hands and leave the UK essentially a satellite state.
This is nonsense.

'Chequers' is precisely a 'bespoke customs' arrangement, albeit a particularly mad one that tries to avoid a common external tariff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You may as well contact Skwawkbox directly, they are approachable and decent sorts and correcting them will make a bigger different.

Paul Calf

Surprising that none of the usual democracy fanatics have picked up on this:

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1050355633797718017?s=21

QuoteThis is HUGE. Met police NOT investigating criminal behaviour by Leave campaigns citing 'political sensitivities'. AFTER Electoral Commission rules they broke law and hands over evidence.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/brexitinc/james-cusick-adam-ramsay/met-police-stall-brexit-campaign-investigations-claiming-polit

QuoteIf the MPS are delaying an investigation into a likely crime because of political interference then 'scandal' does not begin to cover it
Jolyon Maugham QC, the barrister who leads the anti-Brexit Good Law Project, told openDemocracy that it was "profoundly troubling" that the Met was delaying or even not opening its investigation into the Electoral Commission's evidence.

Is it too much to hope for a comment on this from our brave Lexit contingent? Actual evidence of an establishment cover-up to subvert democracy and the rule of law. You'd think they'd be all over it!

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe M26 in Kent is being shut overnight while work is done to see if it can be used as a "parking lot" for lorries, in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

It will be closed from 2200 BST until 0530 BST until 15 October and again between 19 November and 21 December.

Local Tory MP Tom Tugendhat questioned why work began with "no consultation" - despite assurances none was planned.

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling said was part of "no-deal" contingency plans but he thought it would not be needed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-4582719

There's footage of Tom Tugendhat getting very anger in the chamber at Grayling who just says in reply that he's happy to meet him to discuss it. Grayling should have explained himself to the HOC.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

mothman

There was a Twitter thread from Faisal Islam last night about all the various haulage firms and regulatory bodies who've been involved in consultations - for the No Deal catastropcalypse the government are quite sure isn't going to happen - who've been forced to sign some pretty swingeing nondisclosure agreements.

Replies From View

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 12, 2018, 04:20:50 PM
Oh marvellous:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/spotify-netflix-blocked-brexit-no-deal-watch-eu-blocked-uk-british-holiday-latest-a8580901.html

To be fair this is probably the least concerning of all Brexit scenarios I've heard about.

For years, people on holiday have known they can't take their living room sofa with them.  This isn't really any different.

Bence Fekete

Be more efficient if they cut off their noses instead.  Then denied them access to medical treatment, while they bled to death clutching tubes of Savlon sprawled out under an indifferent foreign sun. 

olliebean

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 12, 2018, 04:20:50 PM
Oh marvellous:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/spotify-netflix-blocked-brexit-no-deal-watch-eu-blocked-uk-british-holiday-latest-a8580901.html

You can already use Netflix in any country in the world where it exists, regardless of what country you're registered in (you just get a different selection of films), so I don't see why the EU should be any different after Brexit. Same for Spotify if you've got a paid account.

Zetetic

It's the "you just get a different selection of films".

Currently, you get access to the same selection regardless of where in the EU you're accessing them from under the portability regulation (if it's a paid service).

Zetetic

Favourite lines so far from Exiting the EU Committee, 10th Oct:

"It's a bit like being asked to prepare for a move of your business to Narnia. What is it like? I don't know what this place is like. ... Some people say it's good, some people say it's not so good."

mothman

There's so much on Netflix - well, more than anyone can ever physically watch, whether they want to is another matter - that it's moot, really. You get occasional annoyances (not being able to watch Star Trek Discovery the day a new episode came out, one time last year, because I was in the US, but it wasn't the end of the world). And perhaps that's the point, to make people think any drawbacks of No Deal will be piffling and inconsequential. Why should the Leave-voting inhabitants of Sunderland care that motorways in Kent will become lorry parks next summer, when THEY all fly to Torremolinos (or wherever) for their holidays? Who cares that all the foreign nurses will have to go home? Would much prefer a white English nurse anyway. And so on...

olliebean

Quote from: Zetetic on October 12, 2018, 11:57:36 PM
It's the "you just get a different selection of films".

Currently, you get access to the same selection regardless of where in the EU you're accessing them from under the portability regulation (if it's a paid service).

So in other words, it'll just go back to how it was before 1st April this year. Probably the least important consequence of leaving the EU we've heard about so far. And certainly not "blocked" as the headlines would have it.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Replies From View on October 12, 2018, 04:36:20 PM
To be fair this is probably the least concerning of all Brexit scenarios I've heard about.

Yes, but it illustrates just how many thousands of little things will be affected, and in ways that weren't widely speculated on.

I remember reading the Daily Mail's article on how UK citizens may need a permit to drive in the EU after Brexit Day. There were lots of comments along the lines of "but we can use our licences to drive in America and Australia, why won't the EU let us?" -  well, we have agreements with the powers that be in those places, while we just tore up the one we had with the EU, that's why. I don't know why these things confuse and enrage so many Leave voters- they're like Donald Trump asking why he can't just sack the FBI.

Zetetic

Livestream from the Leave Means Leave rally at Torquay. Rees-Mogg has taken the stage.

Put the foot into Blair, making fun of the caviar stories, says this government is "managing decline". And then some stuff about vacuum cleaners.

Zetetic

We may have a "punishment Brexit". Seemingly suggested that we're going to be metaphorically "kneecapped" but that this will be "invigorating".

Some pretty dire attempts to explicitly channel Thatcher, and some dire fanservice.

Still standing ovation.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 12, 2018, 01:06:01 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-4582719

There's footage of Tom Tugendhat getting very anger in the chamber at Grayling who just says in reply that he's happy to meet him to discuss it. Grayling should have explained himself to the HOC.

The link is broken. Did you make a mistake or has the page been taken down?

Johnny Yesno