Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:04:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gold orders Bottom Exposed

Started by Ignatius_S, September 20, 2023, 11:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigForVictory

Quote from: thr0b on March 26, 2024, 02:51:09 PMI'm still quite surprised Ade is doing it. He's been pushing away from his comic past for years. I am pleased he's doing it though.

I think Ade is understandably much more affectionate and proud of Bottom than he is of The Young Ones because he was much more involved with Bottom, oooo er!!!

So he's probably happier to talk about it as he gets asked about it less than the Young Ones.

I can't wait for this, it's maybe the show that has made me laugh more than any other. Rik falling down the stairs dressed as Kilroy made me laugh so much the first time I saw it I was in physical pain, my chest and ribs were killing me from laughing.

TheMonk

I don't mean to be a party pooper but these shows are always low on anything new and a bit depressing. Sorry, as you were.

thr0b

Quote from: TheMonk on March 27, 2024, 11:11:41 AMI don't mean to be a party pooper but these shows are always low on anything new and a bit depressing. Sorry, as you were.

To be fair, getting anything new out of Rick for the last decade or so has been all but impossible.

markburgle

Quote from: TheMonk on March 27, 2024, 11:11:41 AMI don't mean to be a party pooper but these shows are always low on anything new and a bit depressing. Sorry, as you were.

Bottom being treated as doco-worthy is new in itself. As long as there's some decent BTS personnel who can shed some light and leaven the inevitable Baddiel/Maconie* axis it'll be good

*my bet is on Greg Davies as one of the "I'm here to tell you [subject of documentary] was [good]" contingent

Glebe

Nah, some of the Gold docs are pretty decent.

thr0b

Aye, Gold do good comedy documentaries. And there's a fair bit of cut footage, behind the scenes stuff and that from the time. Most of the Bottom Fluff stuff is rarely-seen, so would suspect some of that will make it to air.

LordMorgan

Absolutely , I'm buzzing for this

2 hours long too

Lovely

Gonna get a wee pizza in
Couple of bacardis

madhair60

LordMorgan

How can such a beautiful looking man , make Richard Richard a borderline grotesque

The transformation is remarkable

markburgle

It didn't even occur to me that Mayall was handsome for a few years, I never saw him other than as Richard Richard or Rik

TheAssassin

Quote from: LordMorgan on March 27, 2024, 06:57:37 PMAbsolutely , I'm buzzing for this

2 hours long too

Lovely

Gonna get a wee pizza in
Couple of bacardis

Bacardis?  Esther Rantzen cocktails are the order of the day.

SpiderChrist

Sprouts mexicaine and raw lard for me.

Looking forward to this. It's hard to think of a comedy show that's brought me as much joy as Bottom has.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: markburgle on March 27, 2024, 10:45:41 PMIt didn't even occur to me that Mayall was handsome for a few years, I never saw him other than as Richard Richard or Rik

Good lord, I'm thick - only upon reading that did I realize that Mayall's three great sitcom characters were all named after himself.

Dimbleby

Rik Mayall was goated. Do not sleep on his fabulous reoccurring appearances as DI Gideon Pryke in Jonathan Creek either.

neveragain

Looking forward to this but puzzled by the choice of narrator. Needs someone a bit grottier. Or Christopher Ryan. 

lauraxsynthesis

Aww "Adrian Edmondson remembers Rik Mayall" on Radio 4 has been nominated as Radio Times Moment of the Year in the Arias.

dead-ced-dead

EDWARD HITLER, WOULD YOU GET IN THE LAVATORY WITH ME THIS INSTANT!!!

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on March 28, 2024, 06:55:22 PMGood lord, I'm thick - only upon reading that did I realize that Mayall's three great sitcom characters were all named after himself.

Alan B'stard?

Going back to his good looks, agree perhaps his greatest characters were all ugly, grotesque, greasy individuals (include Kevin Turvey) but even when he played a handsome man like B'stard he had to be mean and ruthless.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: markburgle on March 27, 2024, 10:45:41 PMIt didn't even occur to me that Mayall was handsome for a few years, I never saw him other than as Richard Richard or Rik
Feels like another excuse to share this for anyone who hasn't seen it:

lauraxsynthesis

Yet more Bottom news - extended eps to go out on Gold:

Originally made as part of the comedy's second series, which aired in the autumn of 1992, longer versions of Digger and Holy will premiere on Gold on Friday 19th April in a double bill from 9pm.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/fyi/496/extended-bottom-episodes-on-tv/

Spudgun

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on April 03, 2024, 10:56:25 PMOriginally made as part of the comedy's second series, which aired in the autumn of 1992, longer versions of Digger and Holy will premiere on Gold on Friday 19th April in a double bill from 9pm.

Interesting. The region 1 DVD set I've got contains an extended version of Holy, so presumably this is just that. As for Digger, there was a scene in the waiting room at the beginning of the episode that was cut for time - a good five minutes of trying to fill in their forms. It will be great to finally see this all reassembled as originally intended, if that's what we're to expect.

Noodle Lizard

Keep reading this as "Golden Order's Bottom Exposed", which @druss is soon to take advantage of.

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 03, 2024, 11:37:51 PMKeep reading this as "Golden Order's Bottom Exposed", which @druss is soon to take advantage of.
A key moment in the upcoming dlc.

easytarget

Quote from: Mobius on March 26, 2024, 11:21:06 PMGreat. Who is going to be the talking heads I wonder probably David baddiels
Henry Rollins and Dave Grohl

markburgle

Quote from: Spudgun on April 03, 2024, 11:20:14 PMAs for Digger, there was a scene in the waiting room at the beginning of the episode that was cut for time - a good five minutes of trying to fill in their forms.

Didn't that have material that later showed in the live show?

lauraxsynthesis

Dessau has interviewed Ade about the doco and it's a good interview. There's also a list of the talking heads and it includes Alexei and no melts so yay

https://beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/14721/adrian-edmondson-bottom

Twilkes

Ha, that same interview is hosted on Chortle, uncredited, I hope Bruce is aware!

Pink Gregory

I'm more familiar with the extended version of Holy to the extent that the broadcast episode feels far more severely cut down than it actually is when I see it.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Twilkes on April 16, 2024, 07:34:19 PMHa, that same interview is hosted on Chortle, uncredited, I hope Bruce is aware!

It's not uncommon for transcribed interviews to be sent out as part of a press releases, which are then used by media outlets.

The interviews for Mammoth on Beyond The Joke are the ones that BBC did as part of the press release, FWIW.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: boki on March 26, 2024, 03:52:45 PMI've just come to applaud the thread title, especially if it's a sly reference to the late grot magnate David Gold.

Thanks - but a reference to David Gold is giving too much credit!