Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:51:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cab Men II: Because fact into doubt won't go

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 29, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: paruses on July 08, 2021, 08:02:22 PM
Not 100% on the details of this as I was falling asleep(or woke up as it was on) but Rightmove have an ad on that makes renting look fucking amazing - all John Lewis / Made furniture and the chance to chop and change where you live to suit your current lifestyle.

Before I passed out again I tried to remember the slogan but could only gasp "you absolute bunch of c".

I haven't rented for years but it was mostly shit and stressful then and from reading everything on here it hasn't got better.

Yep I've seen and baulked at that too, the one with the cheerful attractive young woman happily skipping around the country doing a variety of colourful jobs and social activities. Because that's why people rent, so they're free to live an exciting life of ever changing jobs and homes, unencumbered by such things as security, community, consistency, building a future etc.

The slogan is something like "The renter knows what's right for right now", which as you say is the most disingenuous, horrible distortion of the reality of renting that it's possible to conjure up. I've always rented and always will as I'll never be able to afford to buy, and I can honestly say I've never felt anywhere I've lived (8 different places in 18 years) was ''right'', it's just whatever I could afford wherever I could afford it. I struggle to see who they're trying to appeal to as even renters who do find it convenient and aren't particularly bothered about buying a house should feel insulted by the implication that it's a freewheeling and fun lifestyle choice and not expensive, precarious and stressful.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"Oh no, I've got nothing in the fridge.

Wait a second! With just this mayonnaise (and this full set of ingredients) I can make dinner... with a splodge of mayonnaise on it!"

Not exactly the loaves and fish miracle, is it?

Icehaven

That climate change ad with all the moody children spouting Thunberg-isms at adults is woefully misguided. Being talked down to by kids is not the way to get adults on side, it's more likely to do the opposite.

gilbertharding

Genuinely perplexed by that TotalJobs adverts that's on all the time now. The one with the bewildered old lady, with the unplaceable Mitteleuropean accent.

Who is that she's talking to? He's either a care visitor - there for 15 minutes three times a day to make sure she's managing to microwave her Parsley Box ready meal - or a scammer, keeping her talking while his mate rifles through her drawers for the post office book.

QuoteThat's our Julie. She loves her job, even though she works with dummies all day.

Okay. I see... crash test dummies. Funny. Are there really vacancies for vehicle design engineers or technicians on your website? Won't it all be admin assistants and warehouse staff?

QuoteAnd this is Malcolm. He teaches heavy metal.

Heavy metal teacher, eh? At the school of rock?!! Ha ha!
*looks at Malcolm* He's your... son in law? Fine.

QuoteThat's Bradley. He makes sure the weather is always nice. Look! Nice weather. He's a cloud engineer.

Just fuck off.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 24, 2021, 12:14:45 AM
"Oh no, I've got nothing in the fridge.

Wait a second! With just this mayonnaise (and this full set of ingredients) I can make dinner... with a splodge of mayonnaise on it!"

Not exactly the loaves and fish miracle, is it?

Don't ask me how I remember this, but I'm pretty sure that the first adverts in the UK for Hellmann's Mayonnaise in the  early 80s (prior to that all we had was salad cream) focussed on its use to make leftover/slightly stale ingredients more palatable. Bob Carolgees rings a bell...

I have no idea whether there have been adverts for mayonnaise in the period between then and now - and if not, what that potentially tells us about parallel attitudes to food waste during the grim process of deindustrialisation in the 70s and now, when we've recently been told not to go to the shops more than strictly necessary.

Fucking hell... I'm listening to Spotify while typing this (on an incognito window) - and I've just heard the Hellmann's advert in between songs.

turnstyle

Quote from: icehaven on July 24, 2021, 01:38:55 PM
That climate change ad with all the moody children spouting Thunberg-isms at adults is woefully misguided. Being talked down to by kids is not the way to get adults on side, it's more likely to do the opposite.

SUSTAINABLE FARMING - IT'S A THING NOW

Fully agree with the message of these young uns, but that advert had me driving to the polar ice caps this week and starting a big tyre fire.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: turnstyle on July 26, 2021, 01:09:08 PM
SUSTAINABLE FARMING - IT'S A THING NOW

Fully agree with the message of these young uns, but that advert had me driving to the polar ice caps this week and starting a big tyre fire.
Is that the washing powder one, or is that another? "We've spuriously connected the entirely unrelated ideas of kids getting dirty and saving the planet, so now when you wash your clothes you're not pumping microplastics into the ocean, you're encouraging climate activists!"

gilbertharding

Of course, these adverts fail to address the fact that the very act of reproducing is, itself, very very bad for the planet - especially if you happen to be European or American. It's not the children's fault, of course, but nevertheless.

turnstyle

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 26, 2021, 03:06:48 PM
Is that the washing powder one, or is that another? "We've spuriously connected the entirely unrelated ideas of kids getting dirty and saving the planet, so now when you wash your clothes you're not pumping microplastics into the ocean, you're encouraging climate activists!"

TBH I don't even remember what the advert is for, so FUCKING GOOD ONE MARKETING PLONKERS.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: turnstyle on July 26, 2021, 04:50:28 PM
TBH I don't even remember what the advert is for, so FUCKING GOOD ONE MARKETING PLONKERS.
Actually I think I saw your one tonight, kids telling companies to use clean energy and pedal faster. It seems to be an Amazon campaign for companies to pledge to be carbon neutral. By firing rockets into the sun or replacing staff with robots or avoiding wasting water by banning toilets.

Poobum

Weird algorithm is obsessed with me knowing what Abby from NCIS looks like now, I gather I will be surprised and/or upset, which will lead to profit for someone somehow? 

paruses

Quote from: Poobum on July 27, 2021, 05:41:33 PM
Weird algorithm is obsessed with me knowing what Abby from NCIS looks like now, I gather I will be surprised and/or upset, which will lead to profit for someone somehow?
I get this one a lot and I have clicked on it - you will be indifferent but someone will be fractions of a penny better off.

Bristol Street Motors have an ad out - man in the 20s/30s(?) gets a call to say his car is in. Man in the 70s gets flogged a Cortina for £999. We are supposed to be amazed but I bought a Mercedes for that once and it didn't last a year. Then the man picks up his girlfriend from outside the shiny Bullring (which already looked shit in real life by that time) and neither of them look anything like anyone did in the 70s. Then it cuts to someone driving through what looks like part of Spain, nowadays.

I hate it. It annoys me disproportionately because it's so pointless. It capitalises on nothing Brummie despite it seeming to want to do so. Could at least have had a "we wanna be togethaaa" in it.

mothman

How the fuck does anyone manage to successfully pitch a "like an Apple launch show, but with <our product>" ad concept in this day and age? Now a cheese company has done one.

Poobum

Started binge watching Redlettermedia's Best of the Worst, which is brilliant, but now am constantly bombarded with unskippable ads of Leigh Francis doing some obnoxious put on speech impediment shouty cult leader thing for some trashy gambling shit. He's a man that's far more deserving of Stewart Lee's spooning warmed up shit into the audience mouths assessment.

Fambo Number Mive

I see the advert with the woman in bed with the red M&M is back.

JesusAndYourBush

I'm still being annoyed by the Just Eat ad with the guy with the wrong enunciation.  Shove your McNuggehhhts up your arse, mate!

And 'enter your reg number now' has to be the crappest cstchphrase ever.

And the ad with that 'song' with the dopey-voiced girl saying 'tonight' is starting to piss me off.  (I've not checked, but I assume it's a bona fide song and not just something knocked together in 5 minutes for the ad.)

Icehaven

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 01, 2021, 01:39:35 AM
I'm still being annoyed by the Just Eat ad with the guy with the wrong enunciation.  Shove your McNuggehhhts up your arse, mate!

I saw that one about 10 times before I realised the woman in it wasn't Charlotte Richie.

turnstyle

I like Matt Berry, but holy hell am I tired of his 'voice' in commercials.

Money Supermarket and Absolute Radio are the main offenders, although sometimes I am convinced that he has control of the entire voice over industry in the UK, as omnipotent as he appears.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: turnstyle on September 01, 2021, 09:30:21 AM

Money Supermarket and Absolute Radio are the main offenders, although sometimes I am convinced that he has control of the entire voice over industry in the UK, as omnipotent as he appears.
There is another guy who seems to get used when Matt Berry isn't available, I think he did that recruitment agency advert dressed as a superhero. I always imagined he was the real life Ray Purchase to Berry's Steven Toast...

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: turnstyle on September 01, 2021, 09:30:21 AMI like Matt Berry, but holy hell am I tired of his 'voice' in commercials.

His voice is wide reaching - I went on holiday to Spain a couple of years ago and was amused to find his English translations following the Spanish announcements in Malaga airport. Disappointingly he played it totally straight, none of his usual odd inflections or pronunciations, but I couldn't help but picture Stephen Toast in the recording booth.

mothman

And the ad with that 'song' with the dopey-voiced girl saying 'tonight' is starting to piss me off.  (I've not checked, but I assume it's a bona fide song and not just something knocked together in 5 minutes for the ad.)

It is a pop song, I know this because my wife insists on having Radio fucking 1 blaring in her car all the time. Couldn't tell you what it is though.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

paruses

Quote from: icehaven on September 01, 2021, 08:02:00 AM
I saw that one about 10 times before I realised the woman in it wasn't Charlotte Richie.

I keep thinking it's Emma Fryer(Janine from Phoneshop - Fry? Fryer?)

paruses

Nationwide have got a new spoken word atrocity going at the moment. The point of it seems to be some people have more money than other people have. The actual point is that there is a divvy up of a million quid for account holders in some sort of (free, automatic) lottery draw every month.

Feels like they have deliberately tried to obfuscate this quite welcome marketing device.

Captain Z

Move over Matt Berry, Jess Knappett is so hot right now *air horn impression*

DrGreggles

Inspector Norse

I just saw that and wondered if it was inspired by the Brian Butterfield Diet

gilbertharding

Quote from: turnstyle on September 01, 2021, 09:30:21 AM

Who is he doing an impression of? There's the guy who used to introduce Shooting Stars... but there was someone before him too.

dissolute ocelot

There's a poster campaign for some business/financial services company (with a stupid name that I forget) which has a picture of an avocado and a slogan something like "We're like good fat for your business". Why? Also, what? And, huh? Are millennials meant to be impressed because they have a Mexican pear in their ad?