Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:26:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Apple TV recommendations?

Started by Blue Jam, April 28, 2023, 04:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Watched Sharper last night. Lasted an hour before conceding that I wasn't enjoying it and it probably wasn't going to get any better. Put the BCS episode "Switch" on instead, that's a far superior scamming caper.

New Silo today tho!

Ant Farm Keyboard

Sharper is exactly the kind of pseudo prestige pictures that the streaming services have been ordering without thinking twice. "Oh, Julianne Moore is attached? I'll buy it! Gimme Moore!" It's a big issue for a film about a con to have such a pace that the audience figures out the obligatory con behind the con half an hour before the characters that are concerned about it.
All these films are variations on the template put together by David Mamet in House of Games then refined in The Spanish Prisoner. And I'd argue that the best films in that niche are either the ones where the interplay between the ensemble works (The Ocean trilogy, Logan Lucky) or the ones where the protagonist finally faces an uncomfortable truth about themselves (Mamet's Homicide, Matchstick Men).

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 19, 2023, 05:43:43 PMSharper is exactly the kind of pseudo prestige pictures that the streaming services have been ordering without thinking twice. "Oh, Julianne Moore is attached? I'll buy it! Gimme Moore!" It's a big issue for a film about a con to have such a pace that the audience figures out the obligatory con behind the con half an hour before the characters that are concerned about it.
All these films are variations on the template put together by David Mamet in House of Games then refined in The Spanish Prisoner. And I'd argue that the best films in that niche are either the ones where the interplay between the ensemble works (The Ocean trilogy, Logan Lucky) or the ones where the protagonist finally faces an uncomfortable truth about themselves (Mamet's Homicide, Matchstick Men).

Good post.

Sharper just feels so utterly generic. It's as if Apple thought "People will go 'Oooooh, Julianne Moore and John Lithgow! That looks worth a watch!' fuckit commission". And fair enough, because there are dupes like me who do go "Oooooh, Julianne Moore and John Lithgow! That looks worth a watch!" and get suckered in.

Interesting how streaming services often still rely on star power isn't it? We're well into the Third Golden Age of Television now, the streaming services should know that it's all about the writing, and that so many prestige drama series have great casting directors who will cast a sitcom actor against type or cast a complete nobody and strike gold. How long will this last? There's only so many times chumps like me can go "Ooooh, it's whatsisname from That Thing!" before deciding we won't get suckered in again. I think...

Blue Jam

Quote from: Proactive on May 15, 2023, 05:33:56 PMI really enjoyed The Morning Show, which is about the fallout following accusations of sexual harassment in a me-too era American news room. Great writing and performances all round from Steve Carrel, Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and everyone involved really.

Reese Witherspoon is just fucking great isn't she?

Two episodes in and enjoying this so far, cheers!

Blue Jam

On episode 3 of The Morning Show and it's got a nice Larry Sanders Show vibe to it. Liking this a lot, cheers.

phantom_power

Quote from: chutnut on May 15, 2023, 05:49:37 PMThe only one I haven't seen mentioned already is Servant, a few dodgy patches but really enjoyed it overall

Second this. Odd, disturbing but also hilarious. Some truly awful people in it, with Ralph from Harry Potter particularly obnoxious and shit (the character, not the acting)

Shrinking is also really good

I am intrigued by some of the new shows such as Hello Tomorrow, The Big Door Prize and High Desert. Are any of them any good?

Quote from: phantom_power on May 25, 2023, 11:24:23 AMI am intrigued by some of the new shows such as Hello Tomorrow, The Big Door Prize and High Desert. Are any of them any good?

Hello Tomorrow looks great and has some decent people but ultimately is meh.

TBDP is quite a good show, especially if you like Chris O'Dowd. It reminded me of Northern Exposure a little for some reason.

phantom_power

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 25, 2023, 11:35:51 AMHello Tomorrow looks great and has some decent people but ultimately is meh.

TBDP is quite a good show, especially if you like Chris O'Dowd. It reminded me of Northern Exposure a little for some reason.

I like O'Dowd and love Northern Exposure so will give that a go, ta

High Desert looks like a decent murder mystery show and I love those so will give that a go as well

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on May 19, 2023, 05:43:43 PMSharper is exactly the kind of pseudo prestige pictures that the streaming services have been ordering without thinking twice.

On that subject: Raymond and Ray. Ethan Hawke and Ewan McGregor star in Nebraska minus the talent of Alexander Payne. That said I did make it to the end this time. If you enjoy watching the two main players this one is pleasantly diverting enough.

mjwilson

Just starting Silo. I know that's not technically a recommendation but people seem to be speaking highly of it.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Oops, bumped the wrong Apple TV thread...

Mythic Quest S03E01 was (like Dark Star) patently influenced by Ray Bradbury's short story Kaleidoscope. This series was seriously made with love for classic sci-fi and I love it.

Also I have just read that HAMM! Jon Hamm has been cast in The Morning Show S3 and he seems a perfect fit so I'm looking forward to that.

gilbertharding

This is funny. We just got a new broadband provider, and they've given us a *completely* unasked for free month or two of Apple TV...

Trouble is (and I'll sound like your Grandad now) neither of us has, or wants, an Apple ID... so I'm not sure how we'll access it. Or, if we create an Apple ID, how it will know that we're not going to pay for any of their shit*.

* some of it might not be shit, but we're definitely not paying.

gilbertharding

Anyway, about a year and a half ago, I saw them filming something about Napoleon at Greenwich Naval College - and I heard that was going to be on Apple TV... but it's not been released yet.

Blue Jam

Just finished Mythic Quest season 3. Took me all series to realise that the two new old testers are Uncle Jack and The Waiter, d'oh.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: gilbertharding on July 03, 2023, 02:59:59 PMAnyway, about a year and a half ago, I saw them filming something about Napoleon at Greenwich Naval College - and I heard that was going to be on Apple TV... but it's not been released yet.

It's being released at cinemas first (22 November) - no released date for Apple TV as yet.

The first trailer has just come out.

Blue Jam

Slow Horses is good innit? Enjoying Gary Oldman as George Smiley Has Let Himself Go.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 03, 2023, 10:06:08 PMSlow Horses is good innit? Enjoying Gary Oldman as George Smiley Has Let Himself Go.

It is! A friend of a friend is a huge fan of the books and won't watch the series as they think there's no way it can be anywhere as good - having read the first book off the back of the show, my impression is 'mmm, it's a big improvement.'

Mister Six

What did they change? I've been thinking of reading the books but I don't know if it would be a wasted effort.

Chiffp

Hat FM

Quote from: Chiffp on August 04, 2023, 07:04:16 AMNot Hijack. Unbelievably bad.

loved it! although it is ridiculous.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Mister Six on August 04, 2023, 03:36:19 AMWhat did they change? I've been thinking of reading the books but I don't know if it would be a wasted effort.

Sorry for the long post - if you want it in a nutshell, the first book felt like a potboiler to me; a lot of nice ideas and good plot but not so great writing.

The first series is largely faithful to the book, but understand that the second has more plot changes (which sound like they make sense) - Mick Herron is onboard with those changes and has basically said, as long as the characters and tone remain the same, that's what is important. I'll mention the changes below and spoiler just in case.

However, a big reason why I thought the series was better than the book was that the story-telling was far superior; but should say, I also thought the changes worked well, particularly in run-up to the conclusion. 

Spoiler alert
The book, I found, was a masterclass in telling, not showing. We know Loy is the office joker because we are told this a couple of times and that other characters hate him for it, but there's precious little evidence show. Something that I really liked I the series is how stuff is gradually revealed; the book is much more in your face in telling you information. I probably will get round to reading the other books but don't want to risk reading spoilers again - touched on below.

I loved how it's revealed that Lamb is the one that killed Partner, which then throws up a lot of questions in the series. In the book, it's explained why and what Partner's relationship was with Standish and her personal history in a way that is very quick and 'well, I have no follow-up questions'. On reflection, if it was a standalone book, it could be argued that this is fair enough as it ties up loose ends, but the method of doing so is far from elegant.

In the book, Lamb is pretty much revealed straight away as a super spy and from what I remember, whenever he's in the story, we're being told repeatedly how brilliant he is and found it a little grating after a while and unnecessary.

In terms of changes, the kidnap victim, has Hassan, has less of a backstory in the book and I don't think he has any connections and is just a normal bloke. When the Slow Horses find out where he is, the story is basically over - he's rescued and the SH have nothing to do with that and it's something of an anticlimax. So much of the final episode and the penultimate one, IIRC, are very different to the book. The dynamic of the kidnappers is different as well.

In the book, Taverner turns two Slow Horses - one is Loy and the other doesn't appear in the series; I can't remember anything about the latter and she might be just referred to. In the series, Loy comes across as a prat but for me, he was quite sympathetic - there's a desperate quality to him, which Taverner is able to easily exploit, and his family gives him a more human aspect. In the book, there is no family and his turning appears much more calculated, so when Lamb won't take him back, it feels like he's getting his just desserts, whilst I felt it was more ambivalent and fitted what was happening - i.e. not everyone will get what they deserve.
[close]

In the second series, I believe that they changed quite a bit of the plot to make it more streamlined and to get all the Slow Horses involved - in the book, I think, a lot revolves around River investigating in the countryside. Either one or two of the new Horses have more to do in the series - in the second book, one/both are introduced but don't have much to do but that changes in subsequent books.

That might sound quite negative about the book and I should say, that I found it readable and did enjoy it - however, for me, it was a case of great ideas and plot with so-so execution and something of a potboiler; whereas, the series just did it (a lot) better.

I do want to read the other books to see if the writing improves (and I think there will be more changes) but I'm tempering expectations as Herron was an experienced writer when it came out. As I say, because of what the first book gave away and would have preferred to have discovered it by watching the second series, I'm going to wait a while....

Mister Six

Lovely, now I don't have to bother with the books! Really appreciate the detailed post. I loved how everyone got to do something in the climax of series 2, so I'm not enthused to read that isn't the case in the book.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: chutnut on May 15, 2023, 05:49:37 PMThe only one I haven't seen mentioned already is Servant, a few dodgy patches but really enjoyed it overall

I haven't finished the final series of this yet but Servant is well worth watching

Blue Jam

Quote from: Mister Six on August 04, 2023, 06:02:50 PMLovely, now I don't have to bother with the books! Really appreciate the detailed post.

Seconding this, thanks @Ignatius_S !

Finished S3 of For All Mankind this week, loved the

Spoiler alert
North Korean
[close]

twist in the finale. Also

Spoiler alert
Danny Stevens
[close]

turning out to be a proper supervillain, 'kin 'ell. Nice bookends on that episode too.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The thing with Apple TV is that they do not have the largest or the best catalog of all services, but most of the good shows there have flown under the radar, and it looks like you're exploring a secret area with a few gems nobody really mentions. Which is kind of ironic, given how much overrated Ted Lasso is.

Blue Jam

Yes, it's mad that Ted Lasso is the flagship show. Watched the first episode and couldn't see what the hype was about at all.

Blue Jam

On S2 of Slow Horses now and heh, the taxi driver is the guy who was in the Satan's Fingers biker gang in This Country!

"Martin Mucklowe was a bastard!"

shiftwork2

The free episode of Hijack almost had me paying the 7.99 to see if the second episode was equally dreadful.  In the end I spent it on cat food and just imagined it instead.

Blue Jam

Another great thing about Slow Horses: It's always fun to see one of Laurence Fox's still-employable siblings doing better than him.