Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:00:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bottoms (2023)

Started by selectivememory, September 24, 2023, 01:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Got in a mention in the non-new films thread, but definitely worth its own one.

Watched this last night. Don't think it's been released over here yet, but you can find a good rip of it easily enough.

Stars the excellent Ayo Edebiri (who is also the best thing about hit TV show The Bear) as an awkward high school lesbian who, along with her best friend, starts a fight club for girls so they can try and hook up with their crushes. They end up clashing with the school's football team in the lead-up to the Big Game with their local rivals. All builds nicely to a
Spoiler alert
hilariously violent denouement. Was a little shocked (in a good way) when I realised that they'd actually killed most of the opposing team, rather than just beat them up a little bit.
[close]

Really enjoyed this on the whole. Had been hearing a lot of good things about it, and while it wasn't as relentlessly funny as I was maybe expecting, still a very decent comedy. The two leads in particular are both fantastic, but the whole cast is good.

Especially enjoyed the depiction of the football team players as being very precious and whiny under their macho exteriors. Also liked the slightly off-kilter world of the film where, for example, it's totally normal for rival football teams to
Spoiler alert
try and murder each other.
[close]

Gulftastic

I'd love to see it, but they are being such daft gits about giving it a digital release in the UK.

I honestly thought the days of waiting months after the US release were gone. Bloody annoying.

dontpaintyourteeth

Of course in the states this is called Boddoms

twosclues

I didn't love this, but there is one line reading from Edebiri that is the most I've laughed at a movie in a long time, so just for that I give it a cautious thumbs-up.

Mobius

Fannies would actually be a good name for it!

Yea I enjoyed this a lot, made me laugh a fair bit. The main 2 girls were very likeable, I know Ayo from some podcast appearances like Hollywood Handbook and she's really funny and the other one was good in Bodies Bodies Bodies.

I liked the shit principal, the low stakes of the movie, made it feel like those old high school comedies.

Always enjoy a comedy that doesn't take itself too seriously or linger on the drama/non funny bits too long

Watched it with my partner who has a gay mum and she really enjoyed it as well

Quote from: selectivememory on September 24, 2023, 01:01:34 PMliked the slightly off-kilter world of the film where it's totally normal for rival football teams to....

That was fun, reminded me of Heathers.
The two leads were good - I only knew them from The Bear & Shiva Baby.

I really like PEN15 and this felt a bit too close to that with them playing below their age, but then again weren't all the students? So I guess it was bit more like Grease in that respect.

Solid 7, needed more jokes.

Gulftastic

They've finally given it a UK release date. 3rd November is the day to circle on your calendar

JesusAndYourBush

Not a remake of the Yoko Ono film?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 10, 2023, 12:12:06 PMThey've finally given it a UK release date. 3rd November is the day to circle on your calendar

Cinema or streaming?

Gulftastic

Sorry, cinema it seems. Can't see it taking long to get streaming afterwards though.

ASFTSN

Just finished watching this, it was alright if taken at its own premise of being in super heightened cartoon world, liked how it wasn't afraid to be daft but didn't get much more from it. Was the Sylvie character meant to be a dead ringer for Jay (as in Jay & Silent Bob)?

phantom_power

I thought this was ace. Really funny and kind of sweet but also abrasive. The heightened reality worked well, with some of the aforementioned stuff as well as things like the football team always wearing their football gear, even in class. I mean the whole thing is ridiculous if you think about it for more than a minute but it draws you into the world so well that you don't care

I like how it toyed with feminism, sexism, empowerment and the like without being preachy. The characters and actors were all good and the direction was more interesting than the usual modern comedy.

ASFTSN

I did really like the idea of a guru who you return to in your hour of need and it just turns out they mostly talk complete bollocks.