Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:36:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Facebook The Third [split topic]

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 19, 2010, 11:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Buchstansangur on October 30, 2010, 10:39:50 AM
http://youropenbook.org/?q=epic&gender=any

Jack Graham Had the most epic ice cream today :D

Chris Gibson What more could you want, in a bar with a gun range build in, sitting having a beer with a magnum 45 in the other hand and a joint in the ash tray ..... epic

PLEASE DIE

Subtle Mocking

Is anyone else's feed clogged with reactionary Muslim bullshit? Really getting quite sick of this. Especially seeing as its the same people who were so anti-Cameron during the election, and now stride back in with their Daily Mail views...

small_world

Yup, and the fact that freedom of speech was a British ideal, and oppression and race hate was a Nazi shibboleth. It's a bit odd...

It's that  and "Ooh isn't it windy" at the moment... Cunts.

small_world

QuoteToday
muslims broke the 2 min silence in Central London holding banners saying 'British Soilders burn in hell' an burned a poppy, if u dont lyk us English people paying respect to our brave fighters then u no were the airport is!!! Copy n paste if your English n proud. R.I.P our brave fighters

What?

How can anyone possibly leave secondary education without the ability to spell?
How about this, Copy n paste if your [sic] English and can fucking spell. Fuck. Really fucks me off. Idiots.

Subtle Mocking

I've had to delete about 4 people tonight for joining anti-Islam groups and (urgh) the English Defence League.
And the rest act as if we're completely oblivious to the wind. Cunts.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on November 11, 2010, 11:03:15 PM
I've had to delete about 4 people tonight for joining anti-Islam groups and (urgh) the English Defence League.
And the rest act as if we're completely oblivious to the wind. Cunts.
Mercifully, I've got few enough friends that I can be pleased it didn't happen. All I'd suggest to those of you who have friends who did, send em a link to a news story about what the EDL are really like...they may just be a fucking asshole, in which case good riddance, but it might change a few minds.

George Oscar Bluth II

Maybe suggest they get a bit of fucking perspective. Even the Mail admits it was around 30 people.

THIRTY fucking people. Out of how many muslims? Lots more than thirty.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: small_world on November 11, 2010, 11:01:07 PM
Fuck. Really fucks me off. Idiots.

They are the kind of people who will shout horrendously loudly about freedom of speech when it comes to parties such as the BNP having their say, but as soon as it's muslims saying something contentious it's 'Well fuck off out of the country if you don't like it'. Even if said muslims were born here.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotemuslims broke the 2 min silence in Central London holding banners saying 'British Soilders burn in hell' an burned a poppy

what if they did it silently

i think then it would be alright

Today, I wrote the following 'status'.

"Ronnie Rowlands I'm afraid if I see anyone else copypasting this anti-muslim "send the dirty pricks home" status, it'll be a Facebook deletion issue. I can't abide ugly racism rising from people I like on the basis of something just under 35 Muslims did. Yes it was disrespectful and unpleasant, but not as much as the sweeping bigotry that it elicits from from some of the more narrow minded people on my friend list."

I was just greeted with this PM, the exchange in which I shall share with you.

"Just to let you know, I actually find it incredibly offensive that you believe (referring your last status) that their actions were merely "disrespectful" and "unpleasant". For the numerous members of my family and millions of others that sacrificed their lives for this country, I would describe their actions as nothing less than 'monstrous' and 'pure evil'. To write a status which in part defends their actions is quite incredible and I find it very disrespectful. Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion and which I will generally respect. However, I would urge you to read this poem which I'm sure you have seen before many times: *The Flanders Fields Poem*"

"Yes, I've read it. 'Fraid it doesn't make me hate Muslims. Don't get irked that my semantics weren't strong enough for you. I don't like people being disrespectful and provocative at emotional events, but I also don't like people tarring everyone with the same brush. Since the ranting against Muslims has been done to death already, it's slightly less tiresome of someone to actually take issue with the scattershot reaction that it provokes in patriots. RR"

"To write about such controversial topics on Facebook is very brave, as you have just disrespected my family greatly and no doubt have offended others. It is a very selfish attitude to have, thinking that you can write about whatever you like without any regard for conflicting views on the matter."

"Utter, utter nonsense - I haven't disrespected your family at all. I've never ONCE said I agreed with what the Muslim protestors said, or that the soldiers who fought in the wars were in any way unworthy of remembrance. That is a total figment of your imagination, and to suggest that I wrote it with the intention of disrespecting *any* deceased soldier offends me legitimately.

I can write about whatever I like, actually. Having disregard for conflicting views is a problem that will arise from anything anyone in the world says, it's called debate. If anything, I'd say that those who fought in the war were, as you would no doubt say, doing so for our freedom of speech. Well, here I am exercising it. Is freedom of speech only alright if you agree with it? Judging by the 'likes' on my status, I'd say a fair few even agree with me. RR."

"Firstly, I never said that you couldn't write about whatever you like, I said that writing about controversial issues without any regard for conflicting views is selfish and very narrow-minded.
Secondly, maybe it was just my 'privileged' education as you would call it, that taught me the meaning of 'respect'.
I find it incredible also, that a man as clever as yourself, is naive enough to believe that '4 likes' on your status translates into a "fair few" even agreeing with you. May I remind you of the population of the UK.
I will reiterate my point once more, you have defended, taken the side of, those muslims who have done this disgraceful and satanic crime. As a result, you have severely offended many members of my family and millions of others.

May I also point out that you are particularly naive if you believe that they my family members and other soldiers who sacrificed their lives fought for "freedom of speech". Therefore, your entire second paragraph is threaded on absolutely 'nonsense' as you would call it."

"What would you rather I did? Leave a little disclaimer saying (apologies if people disagree with this?) I think people should be intelligent enough to understand the meaning of an opinion. All these people I see writing "send the dirty Muslim pricks home". That in itself is a comment on a controversial issue that people, including myself, might take issue with. Send those people a PM, have you? Course you haven't, because you agree with them.

Well, I'm not arsed about anyone's education. I've plenty of respect, thank you. I attend the cenotaph on remembrance day, I wear a poppy, I've nothing but admiration for those that fell.

Well, it at least shows that people agree with me. And I know that many others will agree with me, maybe not on Facebook, even people who don't know me. But I know for a fact that there are those that do.

No, I didn't side with the Muslim protestors. Show me the section of my status where I imply this, please? I wasn't defending the protestors, I was airing my annoyance at the people who, as a result of their protest, have decided that all Muslims must be deported or killed or whatever they say. I don't recall singling out anyone in your family in my supposed attack on the armed forces of the two great wars, or any soldier for that matter, so forgive the slight bafflement that it causes me when I consider that they might be 'offended'.

Well, the war was against a Fascist who wanted to stamp out freedom of speech, and had he succeeded, we wouldn't have that luxury.

RR"

kittens

Wha'? This isn't a 'look how great I am' exercise. I genuinely find his offense amusing and sharable.

small_world

Facebook's like a war-zone for you.
Maybe de-friend religious and racist bigots?

Other than that, keep it up.
I wrote a rebuttal status in opposition to those reactionary ones. And added a 'copy/paste' thing at the bottom, and a few people have actually used it as their status.

The fact that anyone actually takes offence at someone else's status is laughable. I was surprised that so many of my friends are dim enough to jump on the Muslim hate band-waggon. But not offended.

Harpo Speaks

Someone on my feed:

'x likes Don't Respect Our Soldiers? then Get the Fuck out of Our Country.'

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on November 12, 2010, 09:18:01 PM
Someone on my feed:

'x likes Don't Respect Our Soldiers? then Get the Fuck out of Our Country.'

9 of my friends like that. Depressing really.

Harpo Speaks

I felt like commenting with 'okay, I'm going, I'm going!', but instead I've just deleted him. I've noticed a slight undercurrent there before (during the false England Shirt ban furore).

Subtle Mocking

It's all the same people who believed that bullshit isn't it? Could've just got rid of them 6 months ago and got it over with.

I engaged in something of a wall discussion about this, with the usual horseshit. Someone simply wrote 'BNP'.

Subtle Mocking

Someone I used to be mates with did the same. Talk about double standards, the cunts.

Retinend

this exchange on my feed was nicer. kind of:

"Paul | Today we saw Muslims break the two minute silence in central london, with banners holding "British Soldiers Burn In Hell" & the burning of a poppy... if you don't like us English people paying respect for our brave fighters, then you know where the airport is. disgusting, disrespectful b******s! copy and paste this if you're English and proud. R.I.P our brave fighters

Amy | you mean 'extreme protestors' not 'muslims' don't you?

Paul | Yes. was a copy and paste status so sorry about that."

only Amy picked up on one of the least offensive bits (being extreme doesn't make you NOT a muslim).

Subtle Mocking

Also, 'R.I.P. Our Brave Fighters' implies that either a) they've all died or b) the remaining fighters are cowards.

ThickAndCreamy

I don't see people as different colours or races, I mean, we're all just the same colour to me :).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on November 12, 2010, 10:05:09 PM
Also, 'R.I.P. Our Brave Fighters' implies that either a) they've all died or b) the remaining fighters are cowards.

:D :D :D

Ace.

Harpo Speaks

I did at least debate with him regarding the shirt non-story and did seem to put him straight on it. But the way he jumped on to it in quite a forceful manner did make me wonder.

I don't know that he has any kind of racist views, but he seems to have a streak of aggressive patriotism that makes me really uncomfortable.

I know it probably seems rather defeatist to just delete him rather than engage him on this Armed Forces stuff, but to be honest at the moment I'm not in the mood for getting into a big argument about it. It's such a sensitive issue at the moment, and I'm just so tired of this mawkish hero-worship that's going on.

MissInformed

Imagine my delight when I got a notification that TheTeenageDaughter has joined a Facebook group called "30 extremists not 2.5 million Muslims" - ace!

"In response to the bigoted and hate-filled pages set up to attack Muslims after 30 extremists burned poppies at a protest.
What they did was disgusting but there is no need for racism, bigotry or Islamaphobia and we must condemn it, in all its form."

I love the grown-up my little girl is turning into.

rudi

I didn't get any of this shit.

My friends > your friends