Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:53:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Does anyone have experience of using eMule? I have found this to be a really good source for hard to find music, but since I got my new PC I can't seem to connect to any servers. Whilst testing ports the emule page says:

Testing IP
Obfuscation: Disabled
Starting TCP connection test...
TCP test failed! UDP test will not be performed.

Connection test finished.
Results in detail:
TCP connection test failed.
It was not possible, to establish a TCP connection to your eMule.

How to resolve port problems... Something is interfering with your network communications. There are two main reasons for this:

If you are using a firewall, ensure that your firwall don't block the required ports! You might need to set a rule to allow the ports to be available.
If you use a router, make sure that your router forwards the required ports to your local IP!

I have gone into Windows Defender and my AVG software to add exceptions but it seems to make no difference. I know I am doing something that is probably quite simple to fix but this has me at the limits of my knowledge.  HELP!

Wilbur

Remove AVG which is awful and re-boot and try again.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Wilbur on May 12, 2020, 04:32:40 PMRemove AVG which is awful and re-boot and try again.

Well, I disabled it and there was no discernible difference to eMule. I am stumped.

Wilbur

Don't disable it. Remove it. Disabling it will do virtually nothing. You may need to get the AVG removal tool to remove it properly.

lipsink

Hey, I'm trying to import a file with Adobe Audition but it keeps saying "Adobe has reached the limit of audio date it can use. Please close files to continue"

I've done everything to clean up space on my Mac but it still says I have 72.4 MB available of 120.85. Is that not enough to edit one Adobe Audition file? Not sure what all the documents are that are taking up space as I've got iCloud set on and deleted all large files etc. I've an external hard drive to try to save all my large files on that. Can anyone help me free up space on the Mac?

popcorn

I have a 2016 Macbook. In the last few weeks I've noticed it seems slower, or at least Chrome does - pages slow to load. Spotify also seems a bit less responsive but maybe it was always like that. The fans also often seem to be whirring away noisily, but again maybe they've always done that. Still got shitloads of space left on the HD.

Obviously I've rebooted it a couple of times, but no dice.

Is there anything I can do to give it a bit of a clean-out, like an old-school hard drive defrag or something? Or perhaps Chrome is just fucking shit these days?

the

Quote from: lipsink on May 13, 2020, 08:18:30 PM
Hey, I'm trying to import a file with Adobe Audition but it keeps saying "Adobe has reached the limit of audio date it can use. Please close files to continue"

I've done everything to clean up space on my Mac but it still says I have 72.4 MB available of 120.85. Is that not enough to edit one Adobe Audition file? Not sure what all the documents are that are taking up space as I've got iCloud set on and deleted all large files etc. I've an external hard drive to try to save all my large files on that. Can anyone help me free up space on the Mac?

Just as a general, 72 MB of free space left on your boot drive is hardly any free space to have. Is there a suggestion there that Audition is misreporting the amount of free space you have?

If you really do only have 72 MB of space, I'd certainly try to free up space on this drive by moving files.

But as a short term solution for editing your audio, try setting Audition's scratch disk to your backup drive instead of the boot drive (assuming your backup drive has plenty of space on it).

Edit: or did you mean 72 GB? That should be more than adequate, so if so, I don't know why Audition would kick up a fuss. Maybe try the scratch disk thing anyway.

NoSleep

Quote from: lipsink on May 13, 2020, 08:18:30 PM

72MB is no space at all. Your hard drive should always have at least 10% capacity left empty to function correctly. Unless, as the said, you meant 72GB.

lipsink

Quote from: the on May 14, 2020, 12:37:46 AM
Just as a general, 72 MB of free space left on your boot drive is hardly any free space to have. Is there a suggestion there that Audition is misreporting the amount of free space you have?

If you really do only have 72 MB of space, I'd certainly try to free up space on this drive by moving files.

But as a short term solution for editing your audio, try setting Audition's scratch disk to your backup drive instead of the boot drive (assuming your backup drive has plenty of space on it).

Edit: or did you mean 72 GB? That should be more than adequate, so if so, I don't know why Audition would kick up a fuss. Maybe try the scratch disk thing anyway.

Thanks. It turns out I had a load of media in the iMovie library that I thought had been deleted. So I've now moved most of that to the bin and it's freed up a lo of space.

I've also set Audition to the Backup drive so that should help too. Cheers!

Puce Moment

Quote from: Wilbur on May 13, 2020, 04:59:37 PMDon't disable it. Remove it. Disabling it will do virtually nothing. You may need to get the AVG removal tool to remove it properly.

It's fully removed now. No notable difference to the running of eMule.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Wilbur on May 14, 2020, 01:52:59 PM
OK have you forwarded the correct ports on the router ?

http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/help.cgi?l=1&topic_id=122&rm=show_topic

I am attempting a crash course in this right now!

Pretty sure I did that but still nothing.

No sign of the Hub Manager when I put in the standard BT address 192.168.1.254. It goes to a dead page!

Puce Moment

Tried fucking with that for many hours now and it has broken me. If anyone knows about this sort of thing and can help me I would appreciate it greatly!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 14, 2020, 04:09:46 PM
I am attempting a crash course in this right now!

Pretty sure I did that but still nothing.

No sign of the Hub Manager when I put in the standard BT address 192.168.1.254. It goes to a dead page!

Open a command window and type 'ipconfig'.

Your router ip will be the one under 'default gateway'.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 15, 2020, 12:31:10 AM
Open a command window and type 'ipconfig'.

Your router ip will be the one under 'default gateway'.

Yep.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Puce Moment on May 12, 2020, 04:00:49 PM
Does anyone have experience of using eMule? I have found this to be a really good source for hard to find music, but since I got my new PC I can't seem to connect to any servers.

eMule for MUSIC?!

Nah, son.

Soulseek. Been using it since 2000 and it's still the best thing out there.

NoSleep

Have to agree. I would hope Puce had tried Soulseek before now. If not, get on it.

Puce Moment

OK, very much out of my depth here. I cannot even access the soulseek page unless I switch on my VPN. I will try it - already it seems to have excellent stuff I am looking for so thanks!

Utter Shit

Moving straight from the "help me to buy a new PC" thread to the "can someone fix my new PC thread" - my new PC (Dell Optiplex 7020) is fantastic in every way so far, except that the audio is terrible. At first the bass was way over the top, so I had a look around and fiddled with the audio drivers and now it's way too far the other way, the audio is very tinny, almost sounding like it's coming out of headphone speakers.

I've never had any problems with the speakers before so I don't think that's the problem, and in any case it has that same tinny quality when I put headphones in...any ideas?!

NoSleep

You need an audio interface; the native audio, drivers or no, will be of no use to you if you're making your own beats. So the next thing is to ask how much you can afford.

At the very least you need something to stick your headphones in, that will give an indication of the actual level of the bass. That could be as cheap as one of these:

www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-audio-interface/behringer-uca-202-usb-sound-card

But you might want to get something that gives you some more options. The range of audio interfaces goes from the above up to £000's, dependent on requirements.

The next stage up in the Behringer range might be more to your requirements:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-audio-interface/behringer-u-phoria-umc202hd-audio-interface

or one with MIDI:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-audio-interface/behringer-u-phoria-umc204hd-audio-interface

Wilbur

Sounds like you are looking in the right direction with drivers. Try uninstalling the audio devices and letting Windows re-install them from the internet. If that doesn't work go to the Dell site and download and install the original windows 7 drivers. If you go to the support page and put in the service tag it will take you to the correct driver page for that machine.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 15, 2020, 04:43:07 AM
eMule for MUSIC?!

Nah, son.

Soulseek. Been using it since 2000 and it's still the best thing out there.

Really? I logged into it recently and was sad to see it was a shadow of its former self, barely anyone in some rooms (nicotine, IDM, DnB) that used to be rammed.

NoSleep

The choice of music is still top quality though; better than ever. I've never used the rooms; just use chat occasionally.

Sebastian Cobb

The IDM room was quite good.

When I last used it people were using it more as a chat client than a filesharing program. Recent releases were getting dropped via rapidshare links for everyone to grab.

The DnB room was fucking awful. The there was a 'secret' room called 'Eurovision 2003' people would get invited to.

Utter Shit

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2020, 05:45:21 PM
You need an audio interface; the native audio, drivers or no, will be of no use to you if you're making your own beats. So the next thing is to ask how much you can afford.

At the very least you need something to stick your headphones in, that will give an indication of the actual level of the bass. That could be as cheap as one of these:

www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-audio-interface/behringer-uca-202-usb-sound-card

But you might want to get something that gives you some more options. The range of audio interfaces goes from the above up to £000's, dependent on requirements.

The next stage up in the Behringer range might be more to your requirements:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-audio-interface/behringer-u-phoria-umc202hd-audio-interface

or one with MIDI:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-audio-interface/behringer-u-phoria-umc204hd-audio-interface

I might not have explained myself properly in the previous post as I've never had to buy software to get functioning audio before...my previous setup wasn't expensive or complex, just two normal desktop speakers and a small sub, probably cost £30 and was working fine until I got the new PC.

It just seems to me that there is a problem with the way the audio is set up to come out, the levels or whatever. The sound as it is right now is basically exactly how music sounds coming out of a phone, despite me having two speakers and the sub...so I can only assume something is wrong. Do I need paid software for this? As all previous desktops and laptops I've had have had audio that worked fine without paying for anything.

Edit: just realised that sounds really ungrateful and dismissive of your advice, it genuinely isnt meant to be, I'm just unsure of whether I explained my issue right!

NoSleep

I just remembered you were into making beats and native audio is insufficient for that purpose. Consider what I recommended as an essential upgrade. It's hardware, btw.

Sebastian Cobb

Video here about using your machine for production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7k-ByTGQR4

Looks like asio4all sound drivers might help (needed for cubase at least)

http://www.asio4all.org/

Being a business machine, the sound chipset probably wasn't a priority. I've certainly experienced machines where they've used small capacitors so it sounds tinny and has a weak low end.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 16, 2020, 07:47:41 PM
Being a business machine, the sound chipset probably wasn't a priority. I've certainly experienced machines where they've used small capacitors so it sounds tinny and has a weak low end.

That's about every native sound chipset I've heard.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2020, 07:49:47 PM
That's about every native sound chipset I've heard.

Well yes but some are better than others, some laptops used to be atrocious and sound like am radio (complete with buzzing from their psus). Desktop pc's are usually slightly better, because there's more room to place the components, but it is a small form-factor pc so it might be slimmed down.

I had a toshiba with a docking station at one work and the laptop sounded ok to listen to while coding through my cheap and cheerful porta pro's, I never listened to it critically, but the docking station had its own separate audio interface that sounded like mush and was jarring to listen to even when concentrating on work

NoSleep

The main thing that you notice (other than the generally bad sound) is that there's a sharp drop in sound below 100Hz, which isn't going to notice on computer speakers but means you have no idea what's really happening in the low end of a mix.