Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

POST COMPUTER PROBLEMS IN THIS THREAD ONLY

Started by Nobody Soup, February 08, 2013, 12:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on May 16, 2020, 08:17:27 PM
The main thing that you notice (other than the generally bad sound) is that there's a sharp drop in sound below 100Hz, which isn't going to notice on computer speakers but means you have no idea what's really happening in the low end of a mix.

Yeah, which is due to cheap design and capacitors not being big enough.

Can get some surprisingly good IEMs from china for ~£30 these days if you can't afford good headphones or speakers though (still need a good source, obvs).

NoSleep

Yeah, a good set of headphones/iem's/speakers is just going to pinpoint the lack of bass end.

peanutbutter

Is there any way I can broadcast a WEP hotspot from a laptop via a USB wifi dongle easily? Tried setting one up on Lubuntu but couldn't figure out what I was at with MAC addresses and shit.

If there's a solution that can be done via a macbook that's better again. I'd also take password free hotspots from a macbook too. FoxFi on Android phones can tether a password free one, that's all I've got so far but I need something that would work for iPhone owners.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 16, 2020, 07:30:27 PM
I might not have explained myself properly in the previous post as I've never had to buy software to get functioning audio before...my previous setup wasn't expensive or complex, just two normal desktop speakers and a small sub, probably cost £30 and was working fine until I got the new PC.

It just seems to me that there is a problem with the way the audio is set up to come out, the levels or whatever. The sound as it is right now is basically exactly how music sounds coming out of a phone, despite me having two speakers and the sub...so I can only assume something is wrong. Do I need paid software for this? As all previous desktops and laptops I've had have had audio that worked fine without paying for anything.

Edit: just realised that sounds really ungrateful and dismissive of your advice, it genuinely isnt meant to be, I'm just unsure of whether I explained my issue right!

Sounds like your subwoofer isn't being used. Make sure your audio is set to 2.1 rather than just stereo in your sound control panel.

Zetetic

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 16, 2020, 10:17:22 PM
Is there any way I can broadcast a WEP hotspot from a laptop via a USB wifi dongle easily? Tried setting one up on Lubuntu but couldn't figure out what I was at with MAC addresses and shit.

If there's a solution that can be done via a macbook that's better again. I'd also take password free hotspots from a macbook too. FoxFi on Android phones can tether a password free one, that's all I've got so far but I need something that would work for iPhone owners.

It's hard to know how to respond to this, given that every OS I'm aware of (macOS, iOS, Android, Windows) has something like this functionality built-in and made really obvious.

Checking my Android phone, it looks like it doesn't support WEP any more. Is this to support a machine from the '50s or something?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 17, 2020, 01:03:19 AM
Sounds like your subwoofer isn't being used. Make sure your audio is set to 2.1 rather than just stereo in your sound control panel.

The sub is definitely being used - I can get the bass up if I want, but it sounds rubbish. I can't really describe it properly and having fucked with various drivers and equalisers I think NoSleep is right (sorry for doubting) and it just seems to only be capable of putting out shit audio. It's weird because this has never been an issue before, so I just assumed the quality of the audio was entirely dependent on your speakers/headphones.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Zetetic on May 17, 2020, 12:51:44 PM
It's hard to know how to respond to this, given that every OS I'm aware of (macOS, iOS, Android, Windows) has something like this functionality built-in and made really obvious.

Checking my Android phone, it looks like it doesn't support WEP any more. Is this to support a machine from the '50s or something?
Yep, a Nintendo DS, and for someone else so I have to try something that's not crazily technical.
Everything has some variant but WPA is as low as they go for the last very very long time; I gather a lot of Android devices allow you to limit access on an open network to a specific MAC address so you could just do no password there and have a modicum of security.

Main issue with Macbooks seems to be that, even though there's probably some software to achieve similar, I'd have to have either a wired connection or a spare USB WiFi dongle. I do have a wifi usb dongle that works on mac; while I'm not sure how well equipped it is to handle broadcasting I could use it to go online and broadcast via the inbuilt wifi.

peanutbutter

and totally unrelated, anyone know how hard it is to set up a PowerPC virtual machine? I've some OSX 10.4 software I need to run, got a copy of OSX 10.5 which the box says is okay.

NoSleep

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 17, 2020, 06:10:12 PM
and totally unrelated, anyone know how hard it is to set up a PowerPC virtual machine? I've some OSX 10.4 software I need to run, got a copy of OSX 10.5 which the box says is okay.

What are you running it on? And what software? An early Intel Mac (up to 2009) will run most 10.4 software under Snow Leopard (10.6) thanks to Rosetta (but I guess you aren't thinking of running on something like that). If you're attempting to run a virtual PPC on a PC, I don't know anything about that.

peanutbutter

Quote from: NoSleep on May 17, 2020, 06:57:41 PM
What are you running it on? And what software? An early Intel Mac (up to 2009) will run most 10.4 software under Snow Leopard (10.6) thanks to Rosetta (but I guess you aren't thinking of running on something like that). If you're attempting to run a virtual PPC on a PC, I don't know anything about that.
Running it on one of a 2015 MacBook Pro, 2019 MacBook Pro or a 2016 Windows laptop...

It's a media CD-ROM, Immemory by Chris Marker, the impression I get is that it's an OS 9 thing that was quite lazily updated to work on 10.4 and 10.5 (it specifies these two version specifically, with 10.5 being the one that was out at the time of its release).
Don't have the CD atm but it contained three visible files, a document saying to run one thing, that one thing (which had no extension type iirc), and some old ass media player. I'm guessing the only update from the original release is the media player is one that works on those early OSX versions

NoSleep

I would suggest getting an older mac from 2009 or earlier and install Snow Leopard or (if you find a G4 or G5) Tiger. You could probably find something quite cheap; a Mac Mini perhaps. But you'd probably require one with a working optical drive to install the OS (and for the CD-ROM); not sure if you'd be able to install from a thumb drive on one of the older OS.

popcorn

This is a fucking long shot but is there any way to play Worms Armageddon (ie a 1998 Windows game) on Mac?

NoSleep

Maybe with DOSBox. Windows, d'oh.

You could try running it via Crossover or any of the other Wine varieties.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: popcorn on May 17, 2020, 08:18:36 PM
This is a fucking long shot but is there any way to play Worms Armageddon (ie a 1998 Windows game) on Mac?

https://worms2d.info/Installing_WA_on_Mac_OS_X

It also looks like it will run in virtualbox as well so you could just run a virtual windows machine.
https://worms2d.info/Installing_WA_on_VirtualBox

Might be easier to emulate the N64 version.

NoSleep

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 17, 2020, 07:13:31 PM
It's a media CD-ROM, Immemory by Chris Marker, the impression I get is that it's an OS 9 thing that was quite lazily updated to work on 10.4 and 10.5 (it specifies these two version specifically, with 10.5 being the one that was out at the time of its release).

I found a disk image of it on Karagarga. Is that what you've got, or is it the actual CD?

QuoteThis 2008 revised ENGLISH edition features additional "X-Plugs," and has been updated for OSX.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Macintosh computer running OSX version 10.4.11 or later, including 10.5 "Leopard".
NOTE this is a POWERPC application, meaning it will run on Intel Macs, and will probably run under 10.6 Snow Leopard, but it will NOT work with 10.7 Lion.

I'll see if I can get it running later this week. Looks interesting.

NoSleep

Downloaded it very quickly and it works in Snow Leopard. I dipped into the section on film and read his thoughts on the 1924 USSR film Aelita and he wonders, like I do, about whether Metropolis was influenced by Aelita.

popcorn

Thanks for the Worms replies.

Quote from: NoSleep on May 17, 2020, 08:19:16 PM
You could try running it via Crossover or any of the other Wine varieties.

I installed Crossover and got excited because it looked like it was going to work, but as soon as it installed Steam it broke because I guess it was running Windows XP or something and Steam doesn't work with XP any more.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2020, 08:31:48 PM
https://worms2d.info/Installing_WA_on_Mac_OS_X

It also looks like it will run in virtualbox as well so you could just run a virtual windows machine.
https://worms2d.info/Installing_WA_on_VirtualBox

Way beyond my technical understanding sadly.

NoSleep

Can you get it at GOG? I managed to download Deus Ex from there and got it working via Crossover.

popcorn

Yeah, could buy it on GOG but I already own it in two previous formats. I might bite the bullet but would prefer to see if I can get it working first.

Anyone know if there's some way I can get Crossover to use later version of Windows, so I can install Steam on it?

NoSleep

Get OpenEmu, then grab the Playstation version of it from https://coolrom.com.au/roms/psx/w/ Get the US version, which will have both a .bin and a .cue file. It's easy enough to get the European version working (needs a .cue file) though, by visiting here: https://nielsbuus.dk/pg/psx_cue_maker/

You'll need to find some PSX Bios files, too (not too hard).

popcorn

Nice idea, thanks, but I really want to play the Windows version as 1) I've played thousands of hours of it and any old port will feel weird and bad, 2) the Windows version was updated and patched for like 20 years after release, 3) I wanna play online with mates.

I might try GOG as apparently they let you refund purchases, so if it don't work I'm all right...

peanutbutter

Quote from: NoSleep on May 17, 2020, 08:37:16 PM
I found a disk image of it on Karagarga. Is that what you've got, or is it the actual CD?

I'll see if I can get it running later this week. Looks interesting.
I've got the actual CD, the non OSX one. Just checked Karagarga there, must've totally missed they had this one up there too before I got it.

The comments say there's a Flash version here http://gorgomancy.net (or maybe http://gorgomancy.net/ImmemoryEnglish/index.html) it looks to be broken too though?

Quote from: popcorn on May 17, 2020, 09:50:56 PM
Nice idea, thanks, but I really want to play the Windows version as 1) I've played thousands of hours of it and any old port will feel weird and bad, 2) the Windows version was updated and patched for like 20 years after release, 3) I wanna play online with mates.

I might try GOG as apparently they let you refund purchases, so if it don't work I'm all right...
hedgehog90 hooked me up with a copy that works brilliantly on modern Windows, sent it on to some friends to play along with too and they had no issues either
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,78986.msg4141769.html#msg4141769

Unforunately Wine on Mac has issues, one rendering engine can display everything except the cursor (or something along those lines, I forget but one done the things the other needed, x11 and whatever wine's default one is), the other one can only display the cursor. I'm _pretty_ sure it'll work on windows 8 or above virtual machine with no issues, if you can get a virtual machine that takes up less than 5gb running it and connecting let me know cos I wanna get some mac friends using it...

Sebastian Cobb

If you're comfortable installing a vm, there are modified cut down versions of windows - like micro xp that might be an option, although they might have cut bits out that the game relies on. Only one way to know really.

VegaLA

I have the dreaded (0x80080005) problem with Win 10. I googled the issue and jumped through their hoops but still no joy. I have the Auto updates turned off so I can pick and choose when and what to update but this is a pretty new specced out Tower so not sure how i got here. I would just reinstall Windows 10 but the seller never provided the Disc. I thought that was illegal ?
Anyone know of a cure for the (0x80080005) bug?

Cheers in advance.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Zetetic on May 17, 2020, 12:51:44 PM

Actually, wouldn't the easiest thing to do just be getting them to log into their router and temporarily switch it to WEP?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2020, 08:31:48 PM
Might be easier to emulate the N64 version.
Had this working over netplay too a few weeks ago, actually. Or at least I think I did, pretty sure it has two controller support. Tbh in some ways it might be easier if you're playing against people with Wine cos you can do all the set up of Mupen64 and just send them a pretty small zip.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 18, 2020, 12:31:42 AM
If you're comfortable installing a vm, there are modified cut down versions of windows - like micro xp that might be an option, although they might have cut bits out that the game relies on. Only one way to know really.
Is MicroXP a very big one? I feel like this'll be a bit of a rabbit hole of just blindly trying ones across various OS until one works, would be better to go with one really heavily used one and make a solid stab at getting it running on it.

NoSleep

Quote from: peanutbutter on May 18, 2020, 12:19:27 AM
I've got the actual CD, the non OSX one. Just checked Karagarga there, must've totally missed they had this one up there too before I got it.

The comments say there's a Flash version here http://gorgomancy.net (or maybe http://gorgomancy.net/ImmemoryEnglish/index.html) it looks to be broken too though?

It isn't broken, that's running smoother than the version on the disk image (it's just '98 style multimedia; shaky). Needs Flash to be completely up to date, then pick your language, then click one of the four spheres... first time, click the sphere to the right of "Commands" and RTFM.

Famous Mortimer

I've got an interesting one.

I normally share files between my PC in the "office" (it's got all the hard drives attached to it) and the laptop in the living room. There's been no problem for ages, but I bought a new PC for the office the other day. Installed it, updated it, did all the sharing stuff, no problem, I thought.

Back to the laptop, and it didn't recognise the password for the networking sharing. Odd, so I looked in the settings a bit and it hadn't received an update from Windows in more than a year. "Your PC is missing crucial security updates" or something of that sort. But it wouldn't connect to the update centre, for some reason. Okay, so I went for one of those soft save-your-files reinstalls of Windows, which went ahead smoothly.

More updates have shown up in the "available updates" list, but they're all just "pending". Troubleshooters see no problems. Also, it's saying I'm not connected to a network, even though I've been connected, both wired and wirelessly. Microsoft Edge doesn't work, but IE does.

I'm stumped, and any avenues to explore would be gratefully received.

Famous Mortimer

Oh, it's Windows 10, version 1809, if that makes any difference.

Wilbur

Start off by opening a command prompt as administrator and doing sfc /scannow and see if that finds any problems.

Edited as version added as I was posting....

Famous Mortimer

It said it found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. The log was very long - I was going to share it but it kept on scrolling and scrolling.

Am I looking for anything in particular? Keywords I can search the log for?

Oh, another thing - when I go to Network Status, it shows a dotted line to the globe with the name of my wifi, but it says "Not Connected. You aren't connected to any networks". But I can get on the internet via IE.