Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Started by Onken, April 30, 2014, 06:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onken

This looks FUN. I'm excited. Let's have a thread about it. 30th of May release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLv0NH-lJUc

As I said in the other popular Wii U thread currently on offer:

Wii U Mario Kart 8 Premium Bundle + other downloadable game at Tesco for £199.

Register the game with Club Nintendo before July 31 and receive a free Wii U game.

Kelvin

Oh God, that's so tempting. I can't wait to play this game, it looks great.

weekender

The thing that I don't understand - AND WILL NEVER FUCKING UNDERSTAND - is why there are 'Blue Shell' celebration Special Editions.  THE BLUE SHELL HAS CUNTED THIS GAME!

I'm good at Mario Kart.  I am.  Don't believe me?  Dig out the threads where I beat people all the time and they got bored of me winning all the time.  Really, it's because of me winning all the time that people get bored, but I'd like to think that they had fun racing for 2nd to 8th place.

BUT THE FUCKING BLUE SHELL ADDS NOTHING TO THE GAME, ESPECIALLY ON THE LAST LAP.  IT IS FUCKING STUPID.

Maybe in laps 1 or 2 it can be used as an evener when someone's got a bit unlucky/lucky, but not on the last lap.

Mind you, if I was in charge of the world I'd introduce a special 'Dani Alves' character which automatically gave you a 4-banana power-up of some sort, which could only be used against the Spanish racers.  So what do I know?

Ignatius_S

IIRC, power-ups are customisable in this version - as in you can select what ones will be available.

Also, there's a new item that counteracts the blue shell.

syntaxerror

First Mario Kart game that I will buy since Mario Kart 64. Looks like it should be fairly decent.

BritishHobo

Ooooh. I just bought a second-hand Wii for a tenner[nb]Every part of it sticky and caked in crisp crumbs. Horrible.[/nb] only to discover they're shutting down the servers for Mario Kart Wii. Promised myself I'd stop buying new Nintendo consoles after the tedious repetitiveness of the New Super Mario Bros games, but... unh... Mario Kart was the only reason I picked up the original Wii (before I got bored and sold it). That does look great fun.

Replies From View

Quote from: weekender on April 30, 2014, 07:10:51 PM
Mind you, if I was in charge of the world I'd introduce a special 'Dani Alves'

I'd introduce a special 'Alan Davies' one.

Onken

The evolution of Mario Kart. So many memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr_iC_DeNGs

I spent three weeks in hospital with a newly purchased GBA specially for the occasion and did nothing but play Super Circuit with the assistance of a big fuck off bedside lamp over my shoulder.

Ignatius_S

The reviews are in - it's a good 'un.

weekender

Yep, seen a few reviews so far and apparently there's talk of methods of actually countering the fucking stupid fucking blue cunting shell.  I like Nintendo's approach though - "Let's release a special edition - with a little blue shell statue - which celebrates one of the most stupid fucking things in the game".  Would have bought it were it not for that, I'll probably go for the regular edition.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of relatively elastic power-ups so the people in last place are given a boost.  That evens it up a bit.  But if you're good, and driving well, perhaps close to a world record time, you shouldn't lose from a bellend with a bullet who is 30 seconds behind you, especially not on the last lap.   Or a blue shell on the last lap.

The best games I play online nowadays though are the ones where everyone just tries to dick each other over with strategic bananas and backwards green shells.

I am 'Player' by the way, but one with three stars, golden wheel, and a current rating about 7,800 ish.  Say hello if you see me online.  Oh wait, you can't.

I'd like to think that this latter point would be the next evolution of Mario Kart - so you can see and hear the people you're playing against - but I can see how it might be difficult to implement, what with people like me going "Fuck off you bellend!" only to hear a sobbing child at the other end.

While I'm here - sobbing child, my advice to you is to grow the fuck up and get better at Mario Kart.  You prick.

I don't often buy new games at new price (think the last time was probably GTA4) but I've made an exception for this as apparently you get a free Wii U game if you register it with Club Nintendo in a short amount of time, which seems like a stupid bargain.

syntaxerror

Quote from: The Region Legion on May 16, 2014, 12:25:17 PM
I don't often buy new games at new price (think the last time was probably GTA4) but I've made an exception for this as apparently you get a free Wii U game if you register it with Club Nintendo in a short amount of time, which seems like a stupid bargain.

Yep, I've done exactly the same - I never buy games at full price, and the last few Mario Kart games have been a bit 'meh' but I've preordered this for a release date copy, something I never normally do. The free game offer is almost too good to say no to, especially if you want a copy of Wind Waker HD. Full details here - The choice for anyone in the EU is really good -

Nintendo Land (3576 MB)

New Super Mario Bros. U (2304 MB)

Game & Wario (4036 MB)

Pikmin 3 (4547 MB)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (2467 MB)

Sonic Lost World (Wii U version) (8474 MB)

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games (9748 MB)

Wii Party U (6571 MB)

The Wonderful 101 (12.9 GB) (PEGI 12)*

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U version) (7021 MB) (PEGI 12)*

Ignatius_S

Quote from: syntaxerror on May 16, 2014, 12:45:19 PM... The free game offer is almost too good to say no to, especially if you want a copy of Wind Waker HD...

It's also a good deal for Monster Hunter - other than two (I think) eShop sales, the price for second-hand and new copies has remained high and this game offers the biggest savings (and value for money in terms of hours.). However, Wind Waker HD would have wider appeal and it's fantastic.

In any case, it's a great deal, as you all say. Incidentally, when Mario Kart 8 comes out, Game will be offering 20% extra on trade-ins against it – so for some, they might want to trade-in a game and then get it again as the download!

syntaxerror

Quote from: Ignatius_S on May 16, 2014, 01:40:13 PM
It's also a good deal for Monster Hunter - other than two (I think) eShop sales, the price for second-hand and new copies has remained high and this game offers the biggest savings (and value for money in terms of hours.). However, Wind Waker HD would have wider appeal and it's fantastic.

Have you played Monster Hunter? I'm edging towards getting that anyway as my free game - either that or Pikmin.

Here's the saddest thing: Since I got a PS3 about 18 months ago, I haven't used my Wii once and I haven't even momentarily considered (that I recall) getting a Wii U or 3DS. I was an enormous Nintendo fanboy and would argue with people on here and in real life til the cows came home about the virtues of Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy and also even things like Excite Truck and the Wii version of Pro Evo.

Looking at the trailer for this I can't help but think what a load of gay shite.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: syntaxerror on May 16, 2014, 02:23:57 PM
Have you played Monster Hunter? I'm edging towards getting that anyway as my free game - either that or Pikmin.

Yes, but only just – I bought it when it was on sale but as at the time I was playing something else wanted to finish that and then, I think Wind Waker came out. My impressions are very positive, but it's a game that rewards time invested (there's a lot of grinding – I don't mean that in bad way – and combat requires a lot of skill) and for one reason or another, I haven't really been in a position to put in the necessary hours. Actually, recently I've been thinking that I need to devote some time to it (as well as clearing a gaming backlog so that should be changing soon.

I had read quite a lot about the game and found that very useful in making my mind up about getting that, so I would recommend that - incidentally, although there's a demo, I think it's generally accepted that it doesn't do a good job in selling it! Also, I have heard that the download version has faster loading between areas (which are quite small) than the disc version.

Pikmin 3 is stunning, absolutely stunning - lots of replayability too. You can pick it quite cheaply, but in any case, do get it sometime - I absolutely adore it.

Ignatius_S

www.cdkeys.com has been selling download codes for £36.90 (fi you like the deal on Facebook, you get 5% off) -  I was going to post this before, but it's been out of stock, but it's available now; however, in the space of a couple of minutes, they've sneakily bumped up the price by a pound

For those in the Nintendo Network Premium loyalty scheme (i.e. people with the 32GB model), the RRP is used, rather than the price you pay for download titles, so this would work out as £4 towards the next eShop £5 voucher. The cheapest deal in term of outright cost is Tesco with £35 (if using a voucher for a first time order) but assuming someone isn't interested in the trade-in, with the loyalty scheme, this deal offers better value.

syntaxerror

pm me if you're up for multiplayer

Spiral King

This looks really polished and fun. Since Nintendo went HD, their games have looked incredible. Especially Super Mario 3D World. And this looks like the Mario Kart equivalent of that.

It's rather annoying that I have to go and do FAMILY things for the next four days, but come Tuesday, I will be trouncing my ladyfriend quite soundly in this.

Benjaminos

Man alive, this is a handsome game. Screenshots don't do it justice - roaring round the Mushroom Kingdom in full HD is a wondrous thing to behold. Only done the first two cups so far, but Thwomp Ruins and Toad Harbour are highlights already. Packed with little details, like the Princess Peach version of the Statue of Liberty, holding a fire flower - there's something about Nintendo games that just leave me with a big stupid grin slapped on my chops.

No red sparks though? I only seem to be able to get blue and.. gold, I think? Am I doing it wrong?

weekender

First four cups, first four three star ratings.  I don't really even have to try, I'm just that good at Mario Kart :)

Agreed on how it looks, awesome, isn't it?

Oh, in case anyone's wondering, the 0/6 thing that appears onscreen is an option to save a race as a favourite for future replays/YouTube uploads.  I thought it was something exciting, but it's not.

Also, press '+' on the kart view screen to see the stats for that kart.

In terms of the power slides, I've only really got a blue (mini) and orange (major) boosts so far.

Right, not giving any more helpful hints!  More courses!

weekender

50cc cup status: Complete with three star ratings for all courses :) . Day 1 target achieved.

Mount Wario was probably my favourite course on first play, although I always like the new Rainbow Road, even if I can't master the speed-ups on first try.

Grumble Volcano and Bowser's Castle both looked absolutely stunning, and played well too.  Electrodome looked great as well, but was a bit of a boring course.

Spoiler alert
Two Rainbow Roads :)
[close]

Next task: Find all the secret paths.  The man in GAME said I could buy a book which showed me where they all where.  "Where's the fun in that?" I replied.  He does not understand Mario Kart.

weekender

Nothing to do with me, but there's a couple of MK8 T-shirts available from The Yetee; I think that the 'Castle' one in particular looks lush.  Apparently they're only available for another 10 hours or so.

Still learning the new courses a bit, but if anyone wants some online play, Sunday evening works for me.

Fucking bullshit. I've arranged some friends to play this today but despite having Amazon Prime and despite it being sent on Thursday, Royal Mail have still failed to deliver it. Tossers.

So fuck the lot of you who have it.

syntaxerror

I ordered from Amazon for launch day delivery, and it came a day late (today), so you might get it today.

Benjaminos

Add me for hot kart-on-kart action: benjaminos666

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

My thumbs hurt. I've only stopped because my controller ran out of battery.

weekender

I'm finding it much harder to keep hold of items like banana skins and green shells, and am also co-incidentally finding that I am getting hit by green shells much more often than I did on MK Wii.

It's particularly annoying when a combo happens - there have been several occasions when I've been leading when I've been hit by blue shell, then red shell, then green shell and seen my coin stash whittled down to 0 in next to no time.

Seems like the drifting is particularly important in this one as well - I've never been able to master that particularly well, so guess I need some practice.

I'm also not particularly sure I have the right vehicle/tyre/floaty thing combination sorted as yet.  I usually favour a heavier, faster vehicle but am finding that the cornering is that little bit tougher this time round - although this may, again, be related to my below average drifting ability.  From reading up about this it seems like my personal racing style might be better suited to a medium vehicle with better traction.  Hmm, time to experiment.

Ian Benson

Game is fucking brilliant. Wish you could play two player without the split-screen, as in one player just uses the entirety of the gamepad screen and the other uses the entirety of the TV screen, like Lego Marvel, but other than that it's superb. Best looking game of the current gen too, I think. Went with Wind Waker for the free dl (and, just quickly, what an amazing bonus that free game is; when I saw people talking about a free game dl on amazon, I was thinking it would be a VC game, which still would've been great actually) and not ashamed to admit that I got a bit emotional when the game started up since it's been forever since I played it.

But anyway, we played it for hours yesterday. The way you can slow the replays right down is amusing. Really like the Wario snow level.

Quote from: weekender on May 31, 2014, 10:33:07 PM
It's particularly annoying when a combo happens - there have been several occasions when I've been leading when I've been hit by blue shell, then red shell, then green shell and seen my coin stash whittled down to 0 in next to no time.

Yeah, this fucked me over a couple of times too. That said, I'm pleased that I've barely seen the blue shell so far, at least compared to MK Wii.

I don't have a WiiU. I don't have a lot of money. It's almost 2 in the morning and I'm really considering buying Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS. A friend owes me 50 bucks, which he should give me this week...but...I don't know. My mind is telling me no.

But my body. My body is telling me yes. Someone better respond either positively or negatively if I should. The last Mario Kart I owned was on the SNES. But I did play a bit of 64 back in the day at friends places. So this could be a real life changing thing that causes me to not sleep. Moreso.

Especially if my friends with 3DS' own it.

Oh Jesus. Just imagine it. All of us playing Mario Kart in our respective beds. That would be genius. None of us would sleep again.

I'm not sleeping now.

SHOULD I BUY THIS VIDEO JAMES?