Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Started by Onken, April 30, 2014, 06:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jawaka

Scanned through thread looking for nintendo id's so added a few of you! (mutilatedlips if anyone else wants to add me, ta)

buntyman

The update is out now. Who wants a race? Mine is just downloading now and then I'm sorted

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

How do you make it download? It's saying I have it purchased but need to wait for its release!

Edit: forget that, it's downloading now. I'd only been trying for three minutes, honestly. Just got home from work.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on April 23, 2015, 06:06:21 PM
How do you make it download? It's saying I have it purchased but need to wait for its release!

Launch the game and it should be updated automatically.

weekender

First impressions?

Mine:

-Baby Circuit (7 laps!) is going to be absolutely insane in online 200cc mode; this will easily end up being the most popular option for online play in the future because it has 'absolute utter carnage[nb]Not just carnage, absolute utter carnage[/nb]' written all over it.

-200cc mode seems to be a bit harder than I expected[nb]Although admittedly I haven't played that Sweet Canyon track for a while - even online - which cost me the 60 points[/nb], I guess I really do have to work out which button means 'brake'.  Genuinely never used brake before in Mario Kart - not intentionally, anyway.

weekender

That reminds me: if anyone knows what button is the 'brake' button, can you tell me please?

Otherwise I'll have to Google it, which would take less time to - wait, what am I doing?

buntyman

Brake is just when you take your thumb off the accelerator for a second.
I've had a quick race round all the tracks now and I'm a bit underwhelmed. Nowhere near as good as the tracks from the first pack

Looking forward to a good session on this tonight. I think my login is AXC1980...

Cuntbeaks

So,  do you have to get hold in all the 150cc Grand Prix's,  or 3 stars as well?  I have given up even getting all gold cups as the 150cc races are just too fucking hard,  and frustrating.

Jawaka

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on April 27, 2015, 09:47:54 AM
So,  do you have to get hold in all the 150cc Grand Prix's,  or 3 stars as well?  I have given up even getting all gold cups as the 150cc races are just too fucking hard,  and frustrating.

I found that if you spend a bit of time online it prepares you a bit. You just need gold in them (which also unlocks Mirror Mode).

I only found out this weekend that you could go online to change the settings, ie 200cc mode. Now that is difficult!

Of our 8 new tracks, I'd say 3 are pretty excellent. The F-Zero one isn't a patch on the one from the previous update but is still good fun, and I do like the Micro-Machines-esque track and the Subway.

I've not even tried 200cc, it's not appearing on the Grand Prix menu. Do I have to unlock it or something?

Cuntbeaks

I swear to fucking God,  i am going to kill some cunt,  smash up my house or stab myself IN THE FUCKING EYE.  Getting golds on all the 150cc races us an absolute FUCKING NIGHTMARE. Its just too fucking hard,  not really much fun tbh.

Johnny Textface

I hear you. The one I really struggled with was the water one when you drive over the fish. Once I'd done that I cruised the rest.

weekender

It took me about 5 months to unlock three stars on every 150cc cup, before the updates.

I can, in theory, play Mario Kart very well but the random factor in MK8 150cc is too intense, let alone 200cc.

Best advice I can give: Fuck the coins.

I can fairly reliably get three stars on 150cc on all cups except that one, which is still evading me.

Haven't even won a 200cc cup yet...

weekender

...all of this is why Mario Kart Wii was better than Mario Kart 8.

It's not that I can't do it.  I can, probably, eventually.

I know the courses, and I have learnt the new ones.

I know the tricks, the shortcuts and the secret routes. 

But what I don't know is why some cunt in 7th gets a Bullet Bill and I only get a banana.  The AI on this is mental.

Mario Kart 8 has stopped being fun.

Cuntbeaks

Totally agree about the AI,  they had the opportunity to even out the pick ups and make it more fun with the latest update. 

But they never.

Why shouldn't i get a golden mushroom or a gold star if im in the lead. I deserve a wee treat for being good at it plus it would allow the leader to build a little bit of a buffer as opposed to having a cpu so close behind that even taking a corner less than perfectly results in an overtaking.

Spiral King

Quote from: weekender on April 27, 2015, 07:49:32 PM
...all of this is why Mario Kart Wii was better than Mario Kart 8.

Mario Kart Wii was far more reliant on "item luck" than MK8. Trust me on this.

(i will never miss an opportunity to say that mkwii was white dog shit never)

Jawaka

I dunno, unless i'm mistaken you can take out incoming shells with the bananas so it's not all bad. Got golds in 2-3 of the 200CC ones, but I didn't even get 3 stars in all the 150s let alone the 100s. As you're saying, so much RNG but I can't think of a way to make it 'fairer' - if it wasn't for the game being so pretty and fun I'd have lost my patience with it by now, I think because the races are so short it's much easier to think I'll give that another go rather than throwing a pad (every other racing game).

If it helps, I used bowser throughout.. Following advice that it's best to use a heavyweight and focus on Max speed. He became a bit awkward for the 200CC ones though so now I'm experimenting.

Quote from: Jawaka on April 27, 2015, 10:24:21 PM
As you're saying, so much RNG but I can't think of a way to make it 'fairer'

I think it really is as simple as not forcing the leading player to only ever receive coins, bananas or - if you're lucky - the horn that saves you from the blue shell. A mushroom boost or even a red shell is totally reasonable. You're almost better off staying in 2nd-4th place most of the time because you'll still get half decent weaponry to take out the frontrunner with before the finish line.

Baby Cart is aptly named - what a clusterfuck of a map, particularly online.

Still loving it though. The new characters don't offer me anything, I'm a Morton Man.

Oh yeah, there was one thing. Why does using amiibo's only give your Mii a themed outfit, instead of - you know - actually being able to play as the character? It might be a little more work but if you could play Mario Kart 8 as any of the amiibo characters but only by owning the amiibo, they could probably count on doubling their sales across the board. I'd certainly pick up a Kirby.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: The Region Legion on April 28, 2015, 12:57:01 PM...Oh yeah, there was one thing. Why does using amiibo's only give your Mii a themed outfit, instead of - you know - actually being able to play as the character? It might be a little more work but if you could play Mario Kart 8 as any of the amiibo characters but only by owning the amiibo, they could probably count on doubling their sales across the board. I'd certainly pick up a Kirby.

Presently, all the amiibo figures are part of ranges (e.g. Super Smash) unrelated to Mario Kart and cross-compatibility with other games vary between figures.

At the moment, there are serious supply issues with a large number of amiibo figures and there has been a lot of consumer dissatisfaction already, which Nintendo has publicly responded to (at least twice). If Nintendo suddenly locked DLC from such a popular game as Mario Kart behind amiibos, then that dissatisfaction would just intensify. With the upcoming/already out Codename: S.T.E.A.M., there are Fire Emblem characters that can be used but only if you have the amiibos, which caused much grumbling.

In terms of sales, amiibos have been selling incredible well; a lot of figures demand has totally outstripped supply. Off the top of my head, I would say 70%+ of the ones already released are only purchasable with a massive mark-up. Currently, Nintendo can't meet demand (and this isn't helped by how retailers sell the figures - e.g. not limiting purchases) and I think stimulating demand by MK

weekender

Quote from: The Region Legion on April 28, 2015, 12:57:01 PM
I think it really is as simple as not forcing the leading player to only ever receive coins, bananas or - if you're lucky - the horn that saves you from the blue shell. A mushroom boost or even a red shell is totally reasonable.

This!!!

The ratio of 'good' items you get when in first place is completely and utterly disproportionate.  I'm not saying you should get a star or anything, but something to allow you to at least try defend yourself at least 50% of the time should really be a necessity.

weekender

If anyone's interested[nb]...come one, I know you are.[/nb], I now have 3 stars on all 50cc and all 100cc cups. 

Today I got 3 stars on the first of the new 150cc cups, so my next plan is to get 3 stars on the 150cc other cup, thus rendering 150cc complete.

I feel like I might need some more time to get the three stars on 200c though.

Cuntbeaks

Unless you're getting the golds on all cc's for practise purposes,  you dont need to.  Get a gold in a 150cc cup and it filters down to both 100 and 50cc versions.

weekender

Hang on, so if I get three star gold in this new 200cc thing, *all* of the previous cups will be populated on three star gold?

Cuntbeaks

Certainly works for 150cc. Don't know about mirror or 200cc.

Cuntbeaks

As i thought,  playing with someone else in the grand prix made it a lot easier.  200cc now unlocked.  Its fast,  but not unbelievably so.  It actually suits some of the wider tracks.  The trick seems to be too get into your slide well in advance and take the corner tight.

In reply to the tagger, this is Morton.

Glad I could solve that for you.