Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Started by Onken, April 30, 2014, 06:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I finally got three stars on every cup (50cc, 100cc, 150cc and Mirror Mode) a few days ago, using pretty much the same combo for every race.

The pirate ship kart (I think it's the one called Landship), with Cyber Slick wheels and MKTV Parafoil.

Combined with a heavy character like Metal Mario, it seemed the perfect balance of high top speed, decent acceleration and sharp, but manageable sliding.

Quote from: Kelvin on July 14, 2014, 10:06:33 PM
I finally got three stars on every cup (50cc, 100cc, 150cc and Mirror Mode) a few days ago, using pretty much the same combo for every race.

The pirate ship kart (I think it's the one called Landship), with Cyber Slick wheels and MKTV Parafoil.

Combined with a heavy character like Metal Mario, it seemed the perfect balance of high top speed, decent acceleration and sharp, but manageable sliding.

I've been playing loads of Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS lately, and with all the time trials, it picks a wide selection of user best times from around the world that you can race against, and every single one of the highest scores seems to be that bloody Metal Mario. I'm sure there's a min-max statistic thing where if you got all the details on an excel spreadsheet, Metal Mario would be revealed to be technically the fastest choice, but eh, I only choose the racers with the most fun drifting, which always feels like Toad and that Kooper fella. I'm not that good, mind, but I do love me some Mario Kart drifting.

Kelvin

Metal Mario is the heaviest character - even heavier than Bowser - and has the highest top speed, but terrible acceleration.

People will be using him for time trial because he's so fast and you don't have to worry about getting hit by anything, then crawling back up to a half decent speed.

When playing at Metal Mario, I use karts and wheels with decent steering and high acceleration, to balance those problems. It also helps to have a high top end, because if you can go a stretch without getting hit, you can build up a considerable lead, even in 150cc/Mirror mode, at which point being hit by something like a blue shell won't necessarily mean losing first place; just reducing that lead.

Junglist

Morton, Bowser and Wario are heavier than Metal Mario btw. There's three different ranks of Heavy.

Kelvin

Quote from: Junglist on July 15, 2014, 08:12:03 PM
Morton, Bowser and Wario are heavier than Metal Mario btw. There's three different ranks of Heavy.

Hmm, that's odd. According to IGN's Mario Kart 8 wiki you're right, but according to somewhere else (I've forgotten where), Metal Mario was the heaviest character.

According to IGN, they play the same, except Bowser, Wario and Morton have a very slightly higher top speed, and Metal Mario has very slightly better handling.

Junglist

That's the only real differences, aye. Metal Mario is a teeny bit lighter as Bowser, Wario and Morton are the only three who consistently muscle me around (I play as Metal Mario, but it does depends on what kart/bike you use too).

Also, if people aren;t aware, when it comes to acceleration, if the stats are say 1 and a half acceleration, it only counts as 1. Two and a quarter equals 2 and so on. Any percentage rounds down to the nearest number. Three and three quarters acceleration becomes three etc. Only with acceleration though.

I used to play with 1.5 acc, but found recovery too slow. Going to a solid 2 acc almost doubled my recovery time.

weekender

Quote from: Kelvin on July 14, 2014, 10:06:33 PM

Well, aren't you the smug cunt.

weekender

Thanks all, I might investigate new tactics and techniques.  Appreciate the discussion.

I'm not used to NOT mastering Mario Kart within a couple of months.

Basically, I just play as Morton, on the Yoshi bike with the little light blue wheels and just consistently win unless the game cheats, which it always does. In multiplayer, I'm easily in the top 3 in most races. He's like a cheat character and I'm surprised more people don't know it yet.

Beagle 2

This is ace, and my favourite since the original I think. If anybody fancies adding me I'm beagletwo. I'm quite shit still.

syntaxerror

I might get back on this for a bit. Up for a CaB tournament if anyone still playing.

Johnny Textface

Yes me. Let's list players IDs?

Junglist

I still play a couple days a week.

ID is DarkJunglist, up for races but I mainly play either late (like midnight to 3am) or from 9pm onwards on a Friday. Can also play mid-day from about 1pm to 4pm. Just post in here and I'll happily jump on.

If I'm already racing and you join, I'll be doing either a 100cc cup, or 150cc global/local. Chuck them friend requests my way!

Beagle 2

Would be up for a Saturday afternoon tourny?

Beagle 2

Fuck me, what a game. It's just relentless fun, and is making me actually gasp at the visuals. The only gripe I have so far is that the music to Rainbow Road reminds me of the theme to Noel's House Party.

Kelvin

Been playing online against Beagle 2 and a bunch of others and the last few games I became mildly obsessed with trying to take Beagle2 out with whatever weapon I could lay my hands on. Sadly, I'm fucking shit, so I don't think I actually hit you once... just honked my horn at you, impotently. 

Beagle 2

You definitely hit me once. I did a huge swear.

I disappeared for a bit to pick another character, I was poncing about with some wood wheels and it wasn't going so well. I'm not sure what the best combo is really, I should do some research. Obviously my crappy performance is nothing to do with my skill level. I was going to bloody beat you at one stage and you blazed past me dressed as a bullet. I did a huge swear.

Junglist

I think I might play this shortly, its incredible when pissed.

Kelvin

8 new track out today.

I was expecting to love playing as Link the most, but once I heard Tanooki Mario's Horn, I was his.

swayzetrain

Gurke and Hare

Are the new tracks free or paid-for?

Kelvin

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 13, 2014, 07:08:17 PM
Are the new tracks free or paid-for?

It's paid DLC. You pay £11.00, and get 16 new tracks, 8 now, 8 next year. Or you can pay (I think) £7.00 for the 8 out now.

It's really great value, I reckon. £11.00 for half the existing game.

Ignatius_S

Yes, £11 for both packs or £7 free.

With the first pack, you also get three new characters and four new vehicles.

There's also been four vehicles that you can get for free.

Onken

Do you still pay in stupid Nintendo points?

Kelvin

Quote from: Onken on November 13, 2014, 10:49:15 PM
Do you still pay in stupid Nintendo points?

Can do, but you can pay with debit/credit card, too, these days.

syntaxerror

I'm gonna be on this most of the evening - Need to up my game and learn the new tracks though. I'm impressed with the DLC add-on pack tbh - definitely has that premium feel to it. Excitebike track is a bit dull though.

Kelvin

Thanks for the races, Syntax. Got so close in that Yoshi one that we were bashing into each other for half the track. Lot's of fun.

syntaxerror

I had to stop for food, but I'm back on now...but yes, I enjoyed that - first time I've properly picked up MK8 in ages (need to up my online ranking...)} That Yoshi track is pretty tight - Idk if you noticed but one race I had two super horns and still fucked it right up.

Kelvin

I did notice, I assure you. One race I was desperate to move around you, but couldn't work out how to do it, with you horn taunting me.

Here's a question: did your character react on your screen when I blow my ordinary car horn - at the starting line, for example? I can't work out why no-one else seems to blow theirs and wondered if it was only registered on your own screen.