Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PES 2015, anyone?

Started by clingfilm portent, November 08, 2014, 12:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Demo played pretty well. Thinking of getting it next week.

Anyone else?

chand

I'll be getting it. I liked the demo and there's a lot of positivity about it, though I think it'll suffer from being released so far behind FIFA. To be fair though I preferred PES 2014 to the last FIFA so I might be mental.

I haven't really fucked with FIFA since 99.

Different incarnations of Pro Evo have had their strengths and weaknesses and I haven't played them all, but the gameplay just towers over other FIFA. The corny commentary and bizarre details[nb]In PES 4, I loved the banner in a crowd that proclaims 'Celery! Celery!' ....Why? Was this always there?

Also, the music that was supposedly playing in the stadiums at half-time always seemed to be J-pop.[/nb] actually add to the pleasure of playing them after a bit, although I understand people that have been fed on a strict FIFA diet can't abide this.

Anyway I can't wait to play this.

Obel

I've smashed the arse out of the demo, first time I've day one bought a football game, can't wait for it to arrive on Thursday.

Put me in the camp of people who like the weirdness of PES games also. As far as I can remember the Celery banners are as recent as PES 2011! Pretty much my favourite PES that was. I love how Jim Beglin has so little dialogue recorded that half the time it seems like he's asleep, even when Champion occasionally refers to him, he just ignores him and says nothing.

"An exciting match in front of us today, I'm Jon Champion, joined here by Jim Beglin...."

"...."

That's my worry about PES now having a UK studio, I'm worried they'll iron out the Japanese insanity. They've already seemingly removed the bizarre music they used to use. 2008 I remember had a particularly weird soundtrack, comprised of tracks Japanese developers assume UK football fans listen to, like the below marvel:

http://youtu.be/tFRivG2sFqA

"We're gonna play football! (Soccer!) Football! (Soccer!) All around the world!"

And I don't even know what to say about this one:

http://youtu.be/oB1xI74hl-Q

Bring back mad PES music.

chand

Yeah, 2008 was the peak of musical bonkersness for PES, since then it's been relatively serious. Nowadays I just replace the soundtrack with mp3s.

The commentary has barely changed, it's terrible but I'm weirdly fond of it. Champion screaming "OH, IT'S A GOAL TO REMEMBER FOREVER!" at a shit tap-in is the best.

Onken

This was the last football game I actually enjoyed and had responsive controls. I find them unplayable now.

Thursday

Seems like this year the reviews really are actually following through on the hype and are saying it's better than FIFA this year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-10-pro-evolution-soccer-2015-review?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/pes_2015_review.html

http://www.gamesradar.com/pes-2015-review/?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=Owned

I'm very tempted even though, I'm more of a 'casual' football fan (I know, despicable, I'm sorry) only thing is, I'm not sure anyone is bothering to compare the versions across different generations, don't know if they'll be any difference between PS3 and PS4 besides graphics, even though the microseconds of difference in speed and responsiveness could be important.

Thursday

"Celery" is an old chelsea chant from the 80's that goes.

"Celery, Celery... if she don't come I'll tickle her bum with a lump of celery" (Not quite sure of the origin of it but according to yahoo answers)
it goes back to the eighties and a song made up for chelsea Midfielder, Mike Fillery, the rhyme went : Fillery, Fillery.. if she don't come i will tickle her bum , with a stick of Celery, Celery...)

It would also sometimes result in people throwing sticks of celery around the ground. I think it's generally been phased out with gentrification. Actually it's probably not exclusive to Chelsea.

I like to imagine the Japanese devs saw that and thought "Oh I guess that's what western football fans do" and put it in without knowing the full context.

chand

Quote from: Thursday on November 10, 2014, 02:31:41 PM
Seems like this year the reviews really are actually following through on the hype and are saying it's better than FIFA this year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-10-pro-evolution-soccer-2015-review?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/pes_2015_review.html

http://www.gamesradar.com/pes-2015-review/?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=Owned

I'm very tempted even though, I'm more of a 'casual' football fan (I know, despicable, I'm sorry) only thing is, I'm not sure anyone is bothering to compare the versions across different generations, don't know if they'll be any difference between PS3 and PS4 besides graphics, even though the microseconds of difference in speed and responsiveness could be important.

Wouldn't expect any differences between the PS3 and PS4 versions other than graphics. I was thinking of getting a football game for the PS Vita but the only option is FIFA 15, and apparently it's just a squad-updated version of the exact same game they've been releasing on the Vita for the past three years. A bit like what they did with the PS2/PSP versions of FIFA and PES for a few years during the PS3 era. Annoying.

Obel

Yeah I'm getting the 360 version, was worried that they'd gimp it a bit like they do with the WWE games to make you pay up for the next gen ones. To be fair if I play it enough I'll probably end up snapping it up again at christmas when I'll undoubtedly end up splashing out for a PS4.

Hate knowing I'm not getting the best version of a game. Will post my thoughts on it when it arrives (maybe)

El Unicornio, mang

As much as I hear about the gameplay being good, I just can't get into it due to it not having all the official teams/players. Even with Fifa I have to download fan-made patches to make sure everything is up to date as of the start of the season. Anyway, as far as reviews go the two games seem to have been about on par as far as gameplay goes for the past few years so it's a no-brainer for me.

chand

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 11, 2014, 01:08:44 PM
As much as I hear about the gameplay being good, I just can't get into it due to it not having all the official teams/players. Even with Fifa I have to download fan-made patches to make sure everything is up to date as of the start of the season.

You can download patches for PES too.

El Unicornio, mang

I did that once a few years ago when Fifa wasn't up to scratch gameplay wise. Worked well enough but not really worth doing since Fifa fixed the gameplay, and I only have to download a quick roster patch. Plus, there's still the issue of the commentary not being right.

Beagle 2

Quote from: chand on November 11, 2014, 11:17:55 AM
I was thinking of getting a football game for the PS Vita but the only option is FIFA 15, and apparently it's just a squad-updated version of the exact same game they've been releasing on the Vita for the past three years. A bit like what they did with the PS2/PSP versions of FIFA and PES for a few years during the PS3 era. Annoying.

Also, they've inexplicably removed the online multiplayer from this year's version. I've got Fifa '13 (which is the same game with old squads) and there's still plenty of people playing multiplayer. It's a bit laggy though. I would recommend it thought, it's a decent enough version that you should be able to pick up for next to nowt.

chand

I've already got 'FIFA Football' from three seasons ago so I just kind of want 15 for the new squads, especially since I'm a United fan and the team is almost unrecognisable now. Might get someone to buy it me for Christmas so I can ignore my family with it while nominally being in the room.

Obel

Bit of a thread resurrection here, but my 360 has just been granted a new lease of life after I decided to spend a bit of time figuring out how to patch PES.

The only thing that holds PES back is its lack of licensing, but it turns out it's fairly easy to install an option life for PES. As a result I've now got licensing for the top two English leagues (and a bunch of other international leagues), complete with branding (they're the Barclays Premier League and Sky Bet Championship). All team logos are in, plus kits and correct manager names. It's really made me want to play the game again!

It's a shame PES can't get the licensing from EA as it's clearly the better game IMO. You don't have the "rubber banding" that you get in FIFA when it decides that all opposition defenders are masters of bicycle kicking the ball out of dangerous areas when it decides you need to be having a harder time.

So yeah, this is great.

Johnny Textface

So is it quite an easy process?

Obel

Yeah it's easy with the file I used if you have the right version of PES. I hadn't turned on my 360 since December so I had PES ver 1.01. It's currently at 1.03, but that version didn't work with my patch.

Basically you need to format a USB thumb drive in the 360, then copy some files onto it on the PC, copy them back on the 360 and you're away. If you've got loads of existing data you might need to delete it though.

http://www.pesgaming.com/showthread.php?t=96499

File and instructions there if you're interested. I've not looked for a file for 1.03 PES though, I imagine there's one about on that forum.