Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:25:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Is this the end of Pirate Bay?

Started by GoochDogHigh5s, December 10, 2014, 10:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

It doesn't bother me at all of course as downloading makes Baby Jesus cry, but I find it surprising that they're allowed to persevere with this persecution.  I can't quite see what the crime is, as they're not hosting any of the files.
It's like arresting someone for selling crowbars or bongs (or giving them away).

Why isn't Google being prosecuted for caching all this 'illegal' stuff?  It's essentially the same thing Piratebay is doing.

Some really dodgy business associated with this.
2008 Sunde, Warg, Neij and Lundström are charged with copyright offenses. The police officer responsible for the investigation into the Pirate Bay accepts a new job with Warner Brothers, one of the claimants in the case.

2009 Tomas Norström, the presiding judge in the district court, is accused of bias after it emerges that he is affiliated with a Swedish pro-copyright organisation. Other members of the same group are employed by the film and music industries.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/05/sp-pirate-bay-cofounder-peter-sunde-in-prison

VegaLA

Engadget's article on Co-founder Peter's stance on the future of PB.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/11/peter-sunde-pirate-bay/

He's right about the ads though. My office faces out onto the street so the neighbours across the road may be able to see what was on my screen....shameful!

Puce Moment

Bhazor

The Piratebay is dead. Long live The Pirutebay.xf

lazyhour

I can't seem to connect to any seeders on any torrents as of about 2 days ago. I've tried both utorrent and deluge, and both confirm that I am set up correctly and that my ports are open, but they're both reporting no connections to seeds. I've turned my Firewall off and on, and confirmed that the software is allowed through...

I'm on TalkTalk, for my sins. Have they done something clever? Anyone else experiencing this? I tried Googling but to no avail.

Jamie Oliver is fat

This UK blocking has finally started to impact me, especially with TPB disappearing.

I started to look into VPNs which makes my teeth itch as it's akin to forcing my 150mb Virgin connection through an old 56k modem, but the first article I read gave a staggeringly simple and effective solution that has worked for me on Kickass and Rarbg, it's also free!

Install the Opera browser, which I had anyway because it's a really good browser, and enable "Opera Turbo" mode which effectively establishes a VPN between you and Opera so you access via their servers, which instantly unblocked the two sites listed above

I use Firefox typically so this just means I can keep that without going through a VPN and just use Opera for torrents

Of course this could stop working at some point but I thought I'd share

Joy Nktonga

GoochDogHigh5s

It looks as if the answer to my original question is
YES

NoSleep

I was just thinking that as I clicked the thread.

GoochDogHigh5s

Ooops , spoke to soon
http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-domain-back-online-waving-a-pirate-flag-141221/

Pirate Bay Domain Back Online, Waving a Pirate Flag

By Ernesto
    on December 21, 2014
    C: 309

Breaking

After nearly two weeks of downtime the official domain of The Pirate Bay is showing signs of life. For now ThePirateBay.se is only waving a pirate flag, but that's good enough to give many Pirate Bay users hope for a full recovery.

pirate bayOn December 9 The Pirate Bay was raided at the Nacka station, a nuclear-proof data center built into a mountain complex near Stockholm.

Despite the rise of various TPB clones and rumors of reincarnations, thepiratebay.se domain remained inaccessible, until today.

This morning the Pirate Bay's nameservers were updated to ones controlled by their domain name registrar binero.se

A few minutes ago came another big change when The Pirate Bay's main domain started pointing to a new IP-address (178.175.135.122) connected to a server hosted in Moldova.

PaulTMA

I take it the website once known as TK Makk on this forum is gone and has been for while, but is mysteriously born again under a different name, or something.  PM me if anyone knows.  Got an urge to try and track down Adam & Joe's Formative Years  (4od is no use to me) to use some of the footage in a montage I'm making for an 80s night.

VegaLA

Decided I needed to get hold of some content last night and opened Vuze for the first time in over a month...about the same time I last received one of those emails from my ISP. This time I was armed with CyberGhost 5 and set about turning it on.

Nothing...all the icons are blue. I hit Demonoid and got a popular torrent from there with a hefty number of seeders but nothing.

Either CyberGhost is not set up properly my end..and is blocking torrents or it's something my ISP, AT&T have done to screw me up. Either way they're history when the 12 month contract expires.

Whilst browsing around TorrentFreak I came across an article about Popcorn Time. It's pretty good. Just thought I'd share that for those that haven't tried it.

NoSleep

Quote from: VegaLA on December 24, 2014, 04:36:54 PM
I hit Demonoid and got a popular torrent from there with a hefty number of seeders but nothing.

Demonoid say there's a problem at the moment, which is something about the number of people shown as connected to torrents. I think it isn't updating properly or something.

VegaLA

Thanks Nosleep...I'm hurting here. I'll try some torrents from other sites. Sincerely hope AT&T haven't enforced anything preventing me from using Vuze, but if they had I'd had thought CyberGhost would have taken care of it?

GoochDogHigh5s

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-starts-counting-down-to-february-1-150101/

QuotePIRATE BAY STARTS COUNTING DOWN TO.... FEBRUARY 1
BY ERNESTO ON JANUARY 1, 2015 C: 198

The Pirate Bay has started the new year with an interesting update to the site. The counter that previously kept track of the time that had passed since the raid, is now counting down to February first. An official announcement is expected to follow in the near future.

December 9 The Pirate Bay was raided at the Nacka station, a nuclear-proof data center built into a mountain complex near Stockholm.

Two weeks later the domain became responsive again, waving a pirate flag and a counter that kept track of the time that had elapsed since the raid.

During the weeks that followed there were a handful of changes to the site, including a link to a pirated copy of "The Interview" and various cryptic messages.

Today, there's another update that gives Pirate Bay users hope that the site may be working on a comeback.

As of a few hours ago the counter stopped counting up and began counting down. This suggests that something is going to happen on February 1, although it's not officially confirmed what that will be.

In addition to the updated counter the javascript used to display fireworks on the site also has a promising name, "allishere.js." Sources previously told TF that there were issues with Pirate Bay's backups, but the "allishere" reference may suggest otherwise.

A source close to The Pirate Bay team informs TF that more exciting news and an official announcement will follow in the near future.

Stay tuned for more news.

monolith

Hate to disappoint everyone, but my birthday is on February 1st. It's probably that.

VegaLA