Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:10:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind

Started by Cerys, February 16, 2015, 11:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

So yes, I've been playing this for a little while now, and I've got past the 'dammit, the combat is nothing like what I'm used to in ES games' and am now happily into the 'yay, I'm now levelled up enough to kill people'.  I'm finding it challenging not having a compass to point out quest objectives, but I'm now safely into the game enough for it not to matter.  The rats are annoying little sods.  I successfully slay a flock of cliff racers, only to realise that something is still beating me up, and have to look around for what seems like ages before I finally spot some little rodent bastard chewing on my feet.  Revenge is sweet, though.

And the music.  Oh, the music.

Fucking Cliff Racing shitfuckers arsehole pissweak fucking bloody shitting dickhead shithouse beastie prick CUNTS.

Only exacerbated by the combat system where your pointy sword shifts through their body with no effect because of random dice roles. Why even have a first person combat system if you don't even hit them even when you hit them.

Just lower the damage or something if you're not skilled at combat. Don't PUNK ME LIKE THAT, BETHESDA.

It's still the only Elder Scrolls Game I've ever loved though. It's such an amazing world. It's also great when you play a Dark Elf character as you start to have weird dreams as you go that become increasingly relevant and frequent. I think that only happens when you're a dark elf...It's been like 10 years or something.

Cerys

I'm playing as a Nord, so I'll see what happens and report back.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The music is still such a standout element, it lifts all the weak areas of the game and there always seems to be the right piece playing at the right time.

Being able to take your time to explore, admire, or just mill about is great. Although Skyrim is an open-world game, there is always a mission marker to follow or reminder to do things. With Morrowind it's genuinely leaving you to your own devices.

And the skies. Those beautiful, beautiful skies.

A shame hpmons isn't about as she loved this game.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I think it may overall be my favourite game ever made.

kittens

i've been meaning to make a fresh start on morrowind. maybe today could be the day

Cerys

Phil_A

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 16, 2015, 01:15:12 PM
The music is still such a standout element, it lifts all the weak areas of the game and there always seems to be the right piece playing at the right time.

Being able to take your time to explore, admire, or just mill about is great. Although Skyrim is an open-world game, there is always a mission marker to follow or reminder to do things. With Morrowind it's genuinely leaving you to your own devices.

And the skies. Those beautiful, beautiful skies.

A shame hpmons isn't about as she loved this game.

The great thing about the music is it's just randomly-chosen mp3s from a folder, so you can put as many extra tunes in as you like. I've got Lancelot's battle theme from the Holy Grail as my "attack" music.

I've started playing Oblivion properly for the first time recently. It's quite...boring, isn't it? Oh, the scenery is very pretty when you first get out of that prison, but when you realise it's just going to be the same all over it's like "Oh."

Also having fast travel enabled from the start really seems to negate the point of having a massive world to explore at all. Also, no levitation magic, so you can never have the joy of becoming an invincible flying bastard dishing out fiery death from the skies(one of the great pleasures of Morrowind).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: kittens on February 16, 2015, 03:36:54 PM
i've been meaning to make a fresh start on morrowind. maybe today could be the day

It's always the right time to do the right thing.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Morrowind's muddy weirdness has its own atmosphere. The overhanging trees and groves. There's always a sense that some creature or character is on the periphery. It feels alive. Some of the more boring regions may be unappealling to look at but they really give you that wilderness feel.

I still think the sunshine, rain, water effects and some of the imperial buildings look alright. Caldera for example is pretty still. Standing under the stars is still a great experience.

Some people have bemoaned the simplification and reduction of options in Skyrim and they have a point. I wish there was a convenient way of porting some of the detail and depth of Morrowind.

syntaxerror

They're making Skywind, but I'm not sure thats the answer. didn't read the thread.

Cerys

Quote from: Phil_A on February 16, 2015, 06:25:55 PM
Oblivion ... no levitation magic

Yeah, this seems to have pissed off a fair number of gamers.

Big Jack McBastard

How long has it been since Obliv came out? Start of the last gen and people are still complaining about the lack of levitation in it? 'kin ell.

The cities are independent cells ffs, levitation would break the place. Surely there's a ropey flight mod that highlights this problem...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteThe cities are independent cells ffs,

THAT MY PROBLEM BRO

Cerys

Everyone walks as if they've shat themselves.

kittens

it's decided - i'm going to start as soon as i wake up tomorrow and play all day

oh baby i can't wait

Cerys

Shoulders?-Stomach!

And by the end of the day kittens will be walking around looking like he's shat himself.

Cerys

You may be right.  KITTENS! REPORT!

kittens

i forgot to do it

i'll do it tomorrow i swear

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cerys

Quote from: kittens on February 17, 2015, 07:37:47 PM
i forgot to do it

i'll do it tomorrow i swear

Forgot to play Morrowind, or forgot to shit yourself?  Either way, you disgust me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

kittens

walking is sooooo sloooooow

other than that it's great fun so far

Cerys

I'm not minding the lack of fast travel.  Walking everywhere is a good way of levelling up.

kittens

it's not that, i never fast travel in elder scrolls games. just the speed you walk at is sooooo slooooow

also i must have installed a nudity mod and forgotten about it because whenever i 'take all' from a corpse i'm confronted with it's big knob/tits and i get embarrassed. not really the game's fault i guess

Cerys

Oh, I see - I don't bother walking.  I run everywhere with occasional stops to let my fatigue bar fill back up.