Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tropico 5

Started by Viero_Berlotti, May 02, 2015, 11:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viero_Berlotti

Out on PS4 this week. I had a few quid in credit in my shopto account and decided to take a punt on this, as there is nothing else quite like it out on the PS4 at the moment.

I've not played any of the Tropico series before, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Playing through the campaign mode, and it's great the way it sets up goals and scenarios within the different eras of the game to give you something to focus on and shape the way your island develops. It's quite fast paced for a city-builder as well, but it is still fairly complex and has that element of creative expression that good city building games should give.

Anyone else a fan, PC Xbox360 or PS4?

Spoiler alert
Although don't be shocked in campaign mode when at the end of the colonial era the game moves you to a different island and you have to achieve certain goals within a limited time there. You get to go back to your original island later on in the game and carry from where you left off.
[close]

Ignatius_S

Haven't played 5 – I suspect that I might at some point but although new features and enhancements were added to the game, some decent things from 4 were left out and a fair few people said they preferred the former. In some ways, the fifth sounded a little bare bones on its own and there was going to be a greater reliance on DLC.

Personally, I still think the first one holds up, particularly with the moral element. Utilising draconian means of keeping control (e.g. assassinations) weren't viable as a long-term method of keeping power.  In 4 (I've played 3, 4 and 5) I felt that it could be done with more carte blanche and the very jokey style meant that the player didn't have to think about what they were doing anything like as carefully.

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on May 02, 2015, 11:40:50 AM....
Spoiler alert
Although don't be shocked in campaign mode when at the end of the colonial era the game moves you to a different island and you have to achieve certain goals within a limited time there. You get to go back to your original island later on in the game and carry from where you left off.
[close]

That's a slight change –
Spoiler alert
with the previous campaigns, you ended up at lots of different islands
[close]

Beagle 2

I've been wondering about this, back in 2003 or something I was addicted as shit to the first one. Is this more or less along the same lines? How does it control - would it be a good fit for the Vita?

Zetetic

The setting is basically exactly the same. The tone and the difficulty are not - it's a more trivial game in 3,4 & 5 than the first.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 05, 2015, 04:10:59 PM
I've been wondering about this, back in 2003 or something I was addicted as shit to the first one. Is this more or less along the same lines? How does it control - would it be a good fit for the Vita?

You would certainly recognise it as being the same game but with quite a lot of enhancements (not surprising considering the time between the first and second game) and more humorous tone. If someone liked the first then I would definitely recommend one of the later games. 5 differs a little as it focuses on a dynastic change, whilst 3&4 like the first concentrates on a single El Presidente.

The first one I would say presented more of a challenge and I got most enjoyment from its sandbox mode.

Re: Vita - my gut feeling would be no as things stand. Although I would like a handheld version, think it would need to be designed specifically for such a device rather than a carbon copy.

Beagle 2

I mean would it be good to play via remote play on the Vita, obviously it's a pain in the ass to play a lot of big games due to the controls, I thought maybe Tropico might only use a few buttons so be a decent fit.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 05, 2015, 11:19:15 PM
I mean would it be good to play via remote play on the Vita, obviously it's a pain in the ass to play a lot of big games due to the controls, I thought maybe Tropico might only use a few buttons so be a decent fit.

IIRC, remote play is supported but as I say, based on my experience, I don't feel the games would be a good fit for a handheld, as they stand. For example, utilising the almanac (a frequent occurrence) wouldn't be as comfortable or quick on a small screen, as on a large one. Although I suspect the user interface would be serviceable, I'm not convinced it would be that enjoyable.

Ignatius_S

PS4 Limited Edition is currently £26 at Gameseek.