Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mirrors Edge 2

Started by VegaLA, May 07, 2015, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

As I recall the first game was quite popular in these here halls but unfortunately I never gave it a run as the videos leading up to the release gave me motion sickness.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/05/mirrors-edge-2-release-window/

Anyone pleased about the release of a sequel or meh?

Hollow

I'm very interested, the first one while it had some glaring flaws was an original game in a sea of identical shooters.

The first one was crap as a first person shooter and I'd like to think it was partially intentional so people wouldn't see it as one.

Also, a good original game from EA...you don't see them everyday.

momatt

I'm looking forward to this, I loved the first game.

Quote from: Hollow on May 07, 2015, 06:28:31 PM
The first one was crap as a first person shooter and I'd like to think it was partially intentional so people wouldn't see it as one.

Absolutely, I thought the idea of having to avoid any conflict was so simple and original.  Of course I always did my best to kill as many baddies as possible (which made it way harder.).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: momatt on June 10, 2015, 04:29:26 PM
Absolutely, I thought the idea of having to avoid any conflict was so simple and original.
You know there's a whole genre of stealth games, right?

lazarou

It's a very different dynamic from stealth games, more about charging through, disarming and outrunning enemies than avoiding them. The best moments of the game are when you're making a break for it with guards kicking in doors left & right as you elbow your way through the door ahead at a full run, vaulting over a low beam to launch yourself from the edge of a building unto an unlikely crash mat. Those moments, where the music's going full on Run Lola Run and you feel like a force of nature, nothing else really plays like that. Or at least until the point where you misjudge a jump and make a horrible, horrible fall. They seemed to take a perverse glee in simulating falling off a multi-storey building. If they make a version for VR it'll be horrifying.

QuoteI'm very interested, the first one while it had some glaring flaws was an original game in a sea of identical shooters.

I'd agree with that. The first ME is a much better game in the memory than it is to play, as a recent revisit confirmed for me (though it does have those moments where it really shines). Even at the time, I remember thinking that if they made a sequel that learned from its mistakes and iterated on its ideas, it could be amazing. So let's hope they do that.

momatt

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 10, 2015, 05:29:34 PM
You know there's a whole genre of stealth games, right?

No.  No I do not.

Do you have to jump about on rooftops and walls in this genre?