Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:50:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blinkbox changes

Started by Quincey, May 21, 2015, 12:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quincey

Due to Microsoft turning off Microsoft DRM on July 14th, blinkbox say that no one running Vista, XP or below will be able to download new films from Blinkbox or access previously downloaded films from July 14th.

Windows 7 users won't be able to download to PC either but Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to people who own Windows 7 for one year after it's launched by Microsoft later this year
More information is below:

https://support.blinkbox.com/hc/en-gb/articles/205012607

It does suprise me that they won't refund people who thought they'd bought a film for life and have now found out they can only access it until July 14th.

For people who don't have a tablet and can't afford to upgrade from XP, can anyone suggest alternatives to blinkbox? You can still stream but that isn't always practical.

Uncle TechTip

When they pull access from under you after you paid for the service I think the only sensible alternative is torrents.

Quincey

If I worked in the films, I'd be pretty annoyed that people trying to watch films legally online were having access restricted. It just encourages more illegal downloading - something I don't do myself.

Not sure if Blinkbox will be forced to change their mind on no refunds for previously bought content. In fairness, it does say the following in the terms and conditions:

QuoteFrom time to time, providers of content to blinkbox may stipulate restrictions relating to the number and type of devices which may access particular content. We will use our reasonable endeavours to inform you of any such restrictions.
Your use of the blinkbox Services and enjoyment of Digital Content may vary in functionality, availability and quality depending on the type of device and any restrictions imposed by our content providers

olliebean

Is the Windows 10 upgrade only going to be free for Win7 and above? I thought it was going to be free for everyone.

Consignia

Quote from: olliebean on May 21, 2015, 03:01:17 PM
Is the Windows 10 upgrade only going to be free for Win7 and above? I thought it was going to be free for everyone.

There's a nice get clause though; if you an "unactivated"[nb]read pirated[/nb], you still get the free legit upgrade.