Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:01:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PS3 essentials - a retrospect

Started by Hank Venture, May 30, 2015, 01:41:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Venture

So, I'm completely out of sync with the console generations: I'm lagging behind precisely a generation, still on the olde 360 and PS3. For the 360 I've accumulated titles over the years, which are now unopened, neatly stacked and gathering dust, but my PS3 has seen extremely little action over the years. I basically bought the thing to play through the God of War series on, and haven't played almost anything beyond that. With PS4 now on the market the prices on PS3 games are lower than ever, and seeing as I don't really know what I'm missing with the newest generation (haven't got a gaming PC either), I'm thinking about buying some titles I've missed. Here are the PS3 games I've played

- God of War 1-3
- The Last of Us
- Demon's Souls (Dark Souls already ordered)

TL;DR
best ps3 titles thanks bye

fit bird

You can get the entire Metal Gear series on ps3, they're a good laugh.
Ratchet and Clank nice colourful fun.

Old Nehamkin

Journey Journey Journey Journey
Little Big Planet
Ico+Shadow of the Colossus HD
Hotline Miami 1+2

lazarou

Valkyria Chronicles is a masterfully good strategy/tactics game, get that. The unique, painterly visual style means it still looks amazing too.

Viero_Berlotti

UFC: Undisputed 3

By far my favourite fighting/sport game on the PS3. Surprisingly deep gameplay with varied playing styles to master, but also accessible if you just want to pick up and play like an arcade style beat 'em up. The late THQ's last UFC game, it is still more playable than EA's current gen UFC game.

brat-sampson

Uncharted 2's a bit of an obvious choice but the best in the series IMO, though a lot of that comes down to the third one feeling more restrictive and less novel. It's the closest to playing an action movie that I've ever seen, looks incredible and has the best set-pieces. Worth it for the train sequence/Tibetan village alone.

Batman Arkham Asylum has a great combat system plugged into a 3D Metroidvaina-type of thing. The later games brought in a bigger open world but the original feels tighter and has Scarecrow bits, which are verrrry interesting indeed.

Resistance/Resistance 3. The first has a lot of heart and while being a bit by-the-numbers has some truly brilliant weapon/level design in some ways. Dodging sequences of mines that attack at different levels, a gun that provides a shield but fires projectiles that go through everything but its own shield, hedgehog grenades and a sniper rifle where the alt-fire slows down time. The second was a disappointment personally, as they took all the interesting features from the first one and removed them to make it Halo. Forcing you to choose only two weapons at a time and having regen health rather than the quartered regen of the first were both pretty big steps backward. The advantage of letting you carry all these incredibly varied weapons in the original was it meant the developers could throw you into a wide array of situations rapidly, knowing you had all the tools for it. Without that it became a lot more generic. I never finished it. Third was a great return to form and probably the best of the lot.

Thursday

Puffin Chunks

Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
GTA V
Journey

My favorite games on PS3 and should keep you going for hours.

maett

I really liked
Dead Space 2
The Last of Us
Portal 2

I also loved Dead Rising 2 and Dead Island, but they are not to everyone's taste. The Telltale Games 'Walking Dead' was different from the usual shoot 'em ups but a really enjoyable story.

Hymenoptera

I just got a PS3 as a Christmas gift last year, so my game collection is quite small. From what I have, though, I'd recommend:

South Park: The Stick of Truth
Spec Ops: The Line
The Last of Us
Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City

I've just started Assassin's Creed Revelations and that's pretty darn good too.

lazarou

Quote from: maett on May 30, 2015, 06:35:37 PM
I also loved Dead Rising 2 and Dead Island, but they are not to everyone's taste.
Yeah, I love the Dead Rising games, but I know plenty who can't stand them. It was much more an issue with the 360-exclusive first one (which had some unbelievable "oh fuck off" elements the sequels smoothed over), but the strange leveling system, irritating boss fights and the high likelihood of failing side missions (at least on your first run) can be hard to swallow. I really like that whole pseudo real-time thing it does where you'll probably never save everyone, but I can see why some would find it too anxiety-inducing for them to enjoy. Though if you do connect with it, there's a wealth of stuff to enjoy. Nothing else plays quite it, which is rare enough for third-person action games these days.

I really enjoyed Dead Island for the whole first part until you leave the starting zone, then it just fell apart for me once I hit the sewers leading into the city. I played through to the end, but in hindsight I kind of wish I hadn't bothered. That was solo though, you'll get a lot more mileage out of it with a few friends. Probably worth a punt for the few quid it's going for these days.

Consignia

I actually really like the first Dead Rising game. The parts that frustrated others made the game for me. I liked the tension of having to make decision of whether to make it to a save point or not. I actually bought a 360 for it, and I don't regret that decision.

However, it was 360 exclusive and the second was multiplatform so it's not for this thread really.