Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:13:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WREXHAM THREAD

Started by Blue Jam, August 19, 2020, 08:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Talk about Wrexham HERE.

PlanktonSideburns

Blue Jam

Good for you, you lucky fucker.

PlanktonSideburns

OH WAIT i did a gig at a pub just out of town actually

didnt really see much apart from the pub, had to shoot off home straight after last act

bgmnts

Never been north of Brecon. Such a land of mystery, shit but mysterious shit.

pigamus

I lived with a girl from Wrexham when I was a student in Cardiff. I massively fancied her even though she looked a bit like Errol the hamster from Roland Rat.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Here is the Pizza 🍕- Kebabs⚰️ - Burgers🍔 sitrep for Wrexham

#F.c.u.k
32 Town Hill, Wrexham LL13 8NB
01978 366767
https://maps.app.goo.gl/xoYnNyydubDZmwGr7

I still haven't stopped laughing at this yet

Please can someone order and review, share feedback thx

dr beat

THATS JUST YERRR OPINION

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on August 19, 2020, 08:17:32 PM
Never been north of Brecon. Such a land of mystery, shit but mysterious shit.

brecon is wales at its finest

Paul Calf

Bleeding well nearly blows 'em apart.

buttgammon

Finally, the thread we all wanted!

Is Island Green now better than Eagles Meadow?
Are there still loads of people on spice passed out in front of the bus station?
Is Vasco da Gama on Lord Street (where I pop in for a coffee when I'm back in town) still going?

Marner and Me

We goto Wrexham sometimes for a night out, a high light being on a Saturday night 24 hour taxis being shut. Easy birds in Chequers and Atik. Bootleggers a weird bloke though.

PowerButchi

Penny Black is the real late night drinking spot of champions.

PowerButchi

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 19, 2020, 08:19:14 PM
Here is the Pizza 🍕- Kebabs⚰️ - Burgers🍔 sitrep for Wrexham

#F.c.u.k
32 Town Hill, Wrexham LL13 8NB
01978 366767
https://maps.app.goo.gl/xoYnNyydubDZmwGr7

I still haven't stopped laughing at this yet

Please can someone order and review, share feedback thx

Is OK, Chico the owner is sound. They do a blinding Chicken wrap. The best Pizza Kebab Burgers in Wrexham Town Centre is probably Flame for me.

Blue Jam

buttgammon

jobotic

Been there twice for football. Didn't hang around afterwards though - went to Chester as I'm sure most people do.

I have stayed in Buckley though. That was a real home from home. How far away is that?

It's where my dad was from. Well, Gresford. Well, Llay actually.

Anyway, I haven't been there for years but I'm sure it's still charming.

PowerButchi

Quote from: jobotic on August 19, 2020, 08:57:22 PM
Been there twice for football. Didn't hang around afterwards though - went to Chester as I'm sure most people do.

I have stayed in Buckley though. That was a real home from home. How far away is that?

Fuck Chester and everyone from it and especially the supporters of their football team.

Buckley is about 7 or 8 miles away from Wrexham. I assume you've been the Tiv?

bgmnts

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 19, 2020, 08:20:19 PM
brecon is wales at its finest

Can you imagine living there though? Retiring, maybe.

I meant north wales is shit and mysterious, rather than Brecon though. Brecon is picturesque but dull.

sevendaughters

am actually going there later this week for the first time ever. will report back.

Annie Labuntur

Live in Hope, die in Caergwrle![nb]Collected Wrexhamian Wisdom (1877)[/nb]

idunnosomename

I went once and while walking through the sadly decaying town centre my friend commented to me about a very nice staffordshire bull terrier a man was walking and said man overheard, and grunted "ITS JUST A FUCKING DOG"

so yeah that sums it up for me

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 19, 2020, 09:38:17 PM
I went once and while walking through the sadly decaying town centre

'Twas ever thus. The exciting new swimming pool with the 1970s swooping roof started falling apart from the roof down within weeks of being opened, and the new high rise Police HQ was tat as well.

Abbey Lowe is 270.

boki

They've got their own lager it can't be that bad mate

Uncle TechTip

My wife is from Wrexham. Fucking hate the place, main memory to echo another thread is being lamped in Bellevue Park at lunchtime and then having to traipse back to work with a nose bleed. I wasn't being racist though, most likely not racist enough for that dump. The one pub i liked i can't even recall the name of, and it looks like it's knocked down now, next to the Cambrian Vaults which is now the Parrish, was this a bit of a metallers pub? It had a long dank room at the back which got lively. Near the hell hole that is the King's Arms.

PowerButchi

Scruffy Murphys/The Commercial?

Uncle TechTip

Commercial maybe? It had Chester style mock Tudor on the front I'm sure. On the crossroads, where if you look now it's a fence and a field of weeds. Almost opposite the 24 hour taxi.

BritishHobo

Leaving Wrexham for good a week on Saturday after spending basically all of my life here. Feeling very wistful about it. As a teenager it was very easy to join in the easy bashing of the place, but I'll always love it. In recent years especially I think it's begun to come back into its own, with a number of small businesses and organisations who clearly have a genuine passion from the area. You've got some lovely restaurants and bars in places like the Fat Boar, EmzCakes, Levant, Lot 11, Bank Street - who also do a hell of a lot for the local arts scene - and IJazz. Talking of the arts scene, I think what's been going on at Ty Pawb before the pandemic, as well as at Bank Street, and at Undegun before that, shows a growing group of creatives and artists who really care about the area. I did my first ever reading at Undegun, and they were incredible and lovely to a terrified bum like me. The Victorian Christmas Markets they do every year have a great atmosphere, and really show off the quality and variety of local businesses. And I LIKE Eagles Meadow. There, I said it. I like it, and I loved the daft upstairs Odeon, and Chris, the usher, who died earlier this year, who used to chat films with anyone, and shout out stupid film titles when announcing the Screen Unseen.

Yeah there's cunts, like everywhere, but I think there's enough people who love this town and want to fight for it that it's not the decaying ex-market town it used to be easy to write it off as. I hold a little bit of guilt in me for leaving, as  I know that desire to leave is part of the self-fulfilling cycle that keeps towns like Wrexham struggling. But I feel like, far more than a decade ago, it's in the hands of people who care about making it better, actually getting out there and contributing instead of squatting on the comments of the Leader Facebook page and complaining about how everything was better specifically in the decade of their youth. Hopefully this shortsighted election of a self-serving party-line Tory MP is a blip, a lashing-out at the disappointing Welsh Labour Party. There's a fucking brilliant candidate right there to represent Wrexham, in Carrie Ann Harper, someone who really values the place and its people, and would genuinely do anything to improve it, if we could just get our shit together enough to vote for her.

I'd like to be funny, but I'm going to miss it, and everyone I know here, and I'm going to take it fucking hard driving away next week. I'm gonna think about fucking about in Bellevue Park, and all the amazing artists at open mic nights at Undegun, and the cathedral all lit up for the Christmas market, and the beautiful misty ancient fields and hills and valleys and quarries up in and around Bwlchgwyn, and the King's Head up there which has properly transformed under its (relatively) new ownership into the pub it always could be, a warm and welcoming and happily successful community hub. I'm gonna think about the now-defunct number 10 bus, and the old Rainbow Express in the daft old dirty-modern station, and going to the library, and volunteering at Erddig and falling asleep in front of the fire in the entrance because the walk knackered me, and the way you can still see the character of all the old buildings on the high street, even if they're a little shabby now, if you just look up.

BritishHobo