Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Reactable - synthesiser fans, you'll love this

Started by Johnny Yesno, March 13, 2007, 03:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Cor! I really want one of these. It looks enormous fun. Have a look at the demo mp4s.

It's going to have an outing this week at Optronica. Not sure I'll be able to make that, unfortunately.

butnut

Ha, you could waste a lot of time playing with that. I reminds me of those futuristic-type instruments in Star Trek or Buck Rogers!

NoSleep

Great! I would love a virtual interface that worked liked that, but on-screen, for me to operate & build with NI's Reaktor software. I might have got a little further than I have with it.

buttgammon

At the risk of sounding like I'm a twat from Orange County, California, "That's like the coolest thing in the world ever!"

God, I really want one of them, now. Puts my regular "play the keyboard to make sound" synth to shame, and I love my synthesizer.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "butnut"Ha, you could waste a lot of time playing with that. I reminds me of those futuristic-type instruments in Star Trek or Buck Rogers!

Oh yes, it goes right to my 70s kid core. It would have been Tomorrow's World's bread and butter (and table to eat it off).

Quote from: "buttgammon"Puts my regular "play the keyboard to make sound" synth to shame, and I love my synthesizer.

It looks a lot easier to understand what you are doing with a Reactable than with a keyboard, what with the waves being displayed between the nodes modifying them. And that metronome puts everything in time that comes near it. That's bloody handy, that is.

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"Cor! I really want one of these. It looks enormous fun. Have a look at the demo mp4s.

Intriguing innit?  I posted some (or possibly one) youtube (i think) links in a thread a few weeks ago. I'd look for it but I couldn't even use the search function when it actually worked 'cos I'm useless like that.

buttgammon

Quote from: "Johnny Yesno"

It looks a lot easier to understand what you are doing with a Reactable than with a keyboard, what with the waves being displayed between the nodes modifying them. And that metronome puts everything in time that comes near it. That's bloody handy, that is.

That's the appeal of it to me, really. You can see the actual parameters being adjusted rather than the musical notes. And the metronome sounds great for keeping time.

Johnny Yesno

Amongst the battery (see what I did there?) of technology Björk had on stage on Jools Holland was a bit of kit that looked suspiciously like one of Toshio Iwai's:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9SdugjLl0M[/youtube]

And the Reactable:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHeX6yg95xU[/youtube]

glitch

Ooh that looks pretty. Reminds me of this, another instrument/processing device which is pretty unconventional - it relies on you to move your hand in 3 dimensions above it to control what's going on.

I'm thinking of getting one around my birthday :v

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: glitch on June 14, 2007, 02:22:46 PM
Ooh that looks pretty. Reminds me of this, another instrument/processing device which is pretty unconventional - it relies on you to move your hand in 3 dimensions above it to control what's going on.

I'm thinking of getting one around my birthday :v

Heh! I've got one. It's great but the airSynth isn't as much cop. Both suffer a bit from quite coarse control. I'd say try before you buy.