Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantastic vocal performances

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, May 17, 2007, 02:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It could be anything you like...power, passion, roughness...anything that rubs you up the right way. It could be live or on record.

I've gone for a few female vocalists who I really like here-

I like this one for the volume and the power:

Hooverphonic- Vinegar And Salt

Harriet Wheeler has such an incredible voice and in terms of range and control she's one of the best. I love the bits towards the end the best where she really lets go:

The Sunday's- Can't Be Sure

The voice really makes this song, it propels it from being an OK song by an amazing deliver...

Blondie- Union City Blues

A terrible cliche, but I still get chills.

Cack Hen

This thread crops up a lot, so I'll say something different this time-

The intimacy really helps, it shows what a charasmatic performer he was. There's just something about his voice here, especially when he sings the final line 'it's all over now, baby blue' that I find really touching.

Sam

That Nirvana song is quite dreary! Never seen what the fuss is with that band. Although it does pick up after 3 minutes or so when the vocals get a bit louder and more expressive and not so monotanous.

I nominate the wonderful Dave Matthews Band performing #41:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesIbOfT8hk

Neil

Quote from: "Sam"That Nirvana song is quite dreary! Never seen what the fuss is with that band.

Heh, it's actually not a Nirvana song at all, it's a traditional American folk song that's been passed down through generations, and performed by countless artists.  I think the earliest version I have is probably by Lead Belly.

Neil

I must have posted this video here almost half a dozen times, but it's the first one that comes to mind for this subject line.  Avey Tare and Doctess/Kria Brekkan from Múm performing an acoustic cover of The Purple Bottle, perhaps the greatest Animal Collective song there is.  I originally found these clips at around 3 in the morning, Sunday morning I think, and it was just magical.  Real jaw-dropping stuff:

Cover of I Got Mine by Chris Smither from the same session, tender as fuck:

Sam

Quote from: "Neil"
Quote from: "Sam"That Nirvana song is quite dreary! Never seen what the fuss is with that band.

Heh, it's actually not a Nirvana song at all, it's a traditional American folk song that's been passed down through generations, and performed by countless artists.  I think the earliest version I have is probably by Lead Belly.

Ah, silly me. I just assumed it was one of theirs. I still think the first half of the performance is dreary though.

Dusty Gozongas

Neil

Another that springs to mind, a very emotional reunion between Billie Holiday and Lester Young, with the likes of Roy Eldridge and Coleman Hawkins joining in as well.  Stunning performance, I've watched this a ton of times now.  I've seen guys in the comments moaning about her 'drawling' singing voice, but really, how can you fail to appreciate such a voice?  And such an all-round legendary performance?  The way she nods and jives along to Lester Young's solo is very sexy and touching.  And shit, the first flurry of notes he plays are so well chosen that you can understand such a reaction from Holiday.  I discussed this performance with ApexJazz recently, and he pointed out that Lester Young actually butts in as he was very ill at that time, and mustn't have had much wind left.  A remarkably emotionally-charged performance, savour it.  And check out Roy Eldridge, oh my god!

Particularly good performance of Strange Fruit as well, she had to go to Commodore to record this:

Another historically notable clip, and another I've watched countless times; Anita O'Day performing at the Newport Jazz Festival - where she ended up being the most talked-about act.  Corking versions of Sweet Georgia Brown and Tea For Two...shit, I'd never heard Tea For Two done at such a fast tempo before, and it really works.  Very hip.  

Finally, a beautiful performance of Fuga No 2 by Os Mutantes.  Rita Lee is incredible in this:

Neil

Loved the Janis Joplin, especially the woman saying "WOW" at the end.  I was thinking during the Jimi stuff the other night that I haven't listened to her in years.  And have barley been near Jimi in years either, actually, and he was my favourite artist for a long long time when I was growing up, and still means a lot to me.  

It was really the facial expressions in this video that originally got me interested in Nina Hagen.  I randomly downloaded it from usenet, stuck it on, and was really intrigued by the woman.  Turns out, she has an incredibly original vocal style, which you get a taste of from this video.  She deliberately pops her p's, spits, growls, simpers...god, she's fucking great.

Another good example, and her break-through disco hit:

One more one more:

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Neil"Loved the Janis Joplin, especially the woman saying "WOW" at the end.

'Twas Cass Elliot. a la Mamas and Papas. I think she was impressed ;o)

Great selections Neil, I especially enjoyed the I Got Mine cover - superb

Here's The Glow Pt 2 by The Microphones. Its not live but the vocal performance on the record is phenomenal so its worth a look.

Neil

Ah just watched the Dylan clip and now naturally want to dig out some Roky Erickson for this one.  Nice to see Donovan sitting there...must admit I've still not seen Don't Look Back, have to track it down one of these days.  Anyway, gotta have some Syd in here, my all-time hero, and a truly excellent and influential vocalist.  I'm gonna plump first off for Milky Way, which I got really hooked on a while back.  A simple yet devestatingly effective song, catchy as hell, and the moments where he almost goes off the rails are thrilling.  Oh tell me please, just to give you a squeeze.

Syd Barret - Milky Way

Got to also single out the second take of Octopus, specifically for the straining, and that wonderful spinning "octopus riiiiiiiiIIIIIIiide"  at the end.  Perhaps not conventionally "fantastic" moments, but really excitiing for me, and I love to hear artists pushing at the limits of their vocal abilities.  So from there, it's an obvious jump to Jeff Mangum from Neutral Milk Hotel, as he does some startling things with his voice.  Slim sent me some Arcade Fire tracks a year or two ago, and it seemed like they were pretty much ripping off his vocal approach wholesale.

Syd Barrett - Octopus (Takes 1 & 2)

EDIT:  Mama Cass?  Wow!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Amazing links Neil. Mangum's voice just does stuff that I've never really heard any other artist really achieve. I've laid in bed in the pitch black listening to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea in full through some headphones and it really is one of the most intense musical experiences I've ever had. It just builds and builds, bits like the 'God is a place where some holy spectacle lies' section never fail to send shivers down my spine. The two NMH tracks you selected there are possibly the ones that demonstrate the intensity of his voice I think. I'm gonna have to listen to it all again tonight now aren't I.
Oh and Milky Way is awesome too, love the guitar on that as well.

Catalogue Trousers

A brilliant song, given one hell of a performance. In an ideal World, this'd be Nina Simone's version, but what the hey, Hildegard Knef gives it some pretty damn well...

And here's another cliched one, but who cares? The sentiments of the lyric may be trite, but her yearning performance does wonders. Anyone who isn't touched by this in some way is a jerk or a liar.

Huzzie

Quote from: "Sam"That Nirvana song is quite dreary! Never seen what the fuss is with that band. Although it does pick up after 3 minutes or so when the vocals get a bit louder and more expressive and not so monotanous.

I nominate the wonderful Dave Matthews Band performing #41:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesIbOfT8hk

I'm sure you probably already know this but that isn't a Nirvana song. It is an old Blues standard. Before Nirvana it was most probably most well known as a Huddie Ledbetter (AKA Leadbelly) song, though his version is much more uptempo and the lyrics are slightly different (concentrating more on the death in the song than Nirvana did). He also called his version "Black Girl" instead of the "Where Did You Sleep Last Night" that Nirvana called it. It has also been called "Black Gal" and "In The Pines" in different recordings.

Lead Belly is a fascinating and depressing character. It is worth finding out as much as you can about the man, he spent much of his life in prison for various crimes including murder, it was in prison where he wrote and recorded much of his best work.

Leadbelly CD's are reasonably easy to come by in bargain bin type places for a couple of quid but if you can get hold of the record "Brown Girl" you have done well for your self (I have it:-).. Well, it's my dads:-(, one day it will be mine:-)...:-(   )

Neil

Try this version by Sarah Vaughan on for size, Catalogue Trousers: