Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wax Tailor

Started by glitch, May 24, 2007, 01:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glitch

Wax Tailor - anyone heard of him?

He's a French trip-hop artist who samples film scores and soundbites to playfully scatter across his music. Personally I think he sits somewhere between DJ Shadow, UNKLE and Portishead, but with more of a hip-hop slant.

Had an album out this year which although good, isn't a patch on Tales of the Forgotten Melodies. Well written, laid-back tunes that are perfect for lazy Summer Sundays.

buttgammon

I've never heard of him, but he sounds just like my kind of thing. Is Tales of the Forgotten Melodies good, then? It sounds interesting. I do like my trip hop and I also have a bit of a soft spot for French hip hop (MC Solaar et al), so I think I might check it out.

glitch

Quote from: buttgammon on May 24, 2007, 01:49:28 PM
Is Tales of the Forgotten Melodies good, then?

Absolutely fantastic. One of those albums that went straight into my very short list of "music I can listen to again and again and again, regardless of mood"

What French hip-hop would you recommend? I've only really heard People Under The Stairs but haven't delved much further.

buttgammon

Cinqueme As by MC Solaar is a good album, and Mach 6 is another one of his that I would recommend. Qui Seme le Vent Recolte au Temps by Solaar is very good, too. I also quite like 113, who are a popular hip hop group from France. They did an absolutely amazing collaboration with the Malian singer Oumou Sangare called Voix du Mali, which I would say is one of the best songs in a foreign language I have ever heard.

As for French Hip Hop compilations, you can't really go wrong with the Le Flow series.

glitch

Cheers for the recommendations, I'll have to have a look for them.

Here's his YouTube page with a load of little clips on it