Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Books

Started by Ronnie the Raincoat, May 25, 2007, 12:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie the Raincoat

The Books: http://www.thebooksmusic.com/ are a band I saw in Belfast. They were wonderful, with the most gorgeous cello and accompanying filmshow. Extremely atmospheric and beautiful. Just thought I'd quickly recommend checking them out.

actwithoutwords

From what I've heard so far they are indeed great. Tokyo is lovely.
A vinyl copy of Lost and Safe should be currently winging its way from HMV, but appears to be stuck somewhere. The HMV website appears to enjoy writing cheques their warehouses can't cash. Fuckers.

Neil

Yes, they were ace.  I met them afterwards, and drunkenly lectured them about Miles Davis and Silver Apples (the Dutch one had seen the latter during their come-back, lucky swine).  Also chatted about Nick Drake, as they'd played a song which was very influenced by him, and then went straight into...hmm...Cello Song I think?  I'd already heard some of their stuff and had resolved to go right through their discography, and am more determined to do so now. 

Also, the DJ afterwards was ace, was that actually David Holmes?  That's who Stephen said it was.  Regardless, had to go up and shout "THANKS FOR THE MILES" when he put some On The Corner on (Black Satin I think).  Other great tracks he played included something by ESG (was outside, but sounded like Erase You), The Sonics cover of Richard Berry's "Have Love, Will Travel", Coronation Dub by Izzy Royal (which I dragged Woofwoof Ronnie onto the dance-floor for), and I can't remember what else, although Panda Bear and Suicide songs were also played before The Books even took the stage. 

And some guy outside the venus was smoking weed, so I went over and asked if he had a contact I could buy some from.  He didn't as he'd brought it over from England, but he let me smoke the roach, and I got blasted off just the last few tokes. 

Ronnie the Raincoat

Man, did I dance?  I can hardly remember anything after The Books.  I do remember you going on about Miles Davis though!

It was David Holmes, indeed.