Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:22:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roy Harper

Started by Borboski, May 29, 2007, 02:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borboski

I saw Roy Harper in Bristol this weekend - not overly impressed.  Sometimes when he sings he has quite a soaring powerful voice, and some of the melodies in those songs were attractive, but against that there was a lot that passed me by.  Plus there was some "comedy" songs, one about the Watford Gap being crap, and one about the God Pan and KY jelly.

I didn't really warm to him personally, although I always like someone who's come along to interact with the crowd.  The audience at that gig, like a Springsteen gig, is so indulgent and sappy, even before the gig everyone was banging on about "Err, Harper, eh, he's lived it!  I bet he's seen some sights!". 

But - he said he might not be touring again, and so that could be the farewell tour.

Anyone have any comments on Harper?  I found out when I got back that he sang the lead on Shine On You Crazy Diamond, except the internet says Have A Cigar.  Have a Cigar sounds much more like Waters to me, anyone know?

Glebe

He lives down in Cork, and has an annual bash that some of my friends go to.

lipsink

I only have 'Stormcock' (heh, heh) which I only got recently cause that was the one eveyone said to get. I fucking loved it. Found it similar to Happy/Sad era Tim Buckley. Anyone have any recommendations on which album to go to next?

I just have the one - HQ. But what an album - Bill Bruford on drums, I think John Paul Jones makes an appearance too. One of those guys I keep meaning to buy more of but it's never happened.

didgeripoo

Quote from: Borboski on May 29, 2007, 02:34:27 PM
I found out when I got back that he sang the lead on Shine On You Crazy Diamond, except the internet says Have A Cigar.  Have a Cigar sounds much more like Waters to me, anyone know?

Pretty sure it's Waters on Shine On and Harper on Have A Cigar. Sounds like that to me. And I remember reading that Waters was having major trouble with the vocal on Cigar but subsequently regretted getting Haper in to do it cos he thought he could have done a better job.

Yes, that's right Waters, cos you can do EVERYTHING better than EVERYONE you megalomaniacal fruitcake.

Never liked Waters' voice.

GetTheeBehindMeStan

Quote from: lipsink on May 29, 2007, 03:49:23 PM
I only have 'Stormcock' (heh, heh) which I only got recently cause that was the one eveyone said to get. I fucking loved it. Found it similar to Happy/Sad era Tim Buckley. Anyone have any recommendations on which album to go to next?

Stormcock's the best one out of the three I've got - "Me and My Woman" is absolutely classic. Flat Baroque and Berserk has its moments, as does Lifemask (depending on whether or not you can take "The Lord's Prayer").

Didn't he nearly die after contracting a virus after giving mouth-to-mouth to a sheep?

And it was deffo him on Have A Cigar.

Toad in the Hole

100% certain it's not Harper on Shine On...

All the albums mentioned by others so far, really.  Stormcock, HQ, and Flat Baroque are the biggies I think.  I'd like to put in a particular word for 'Don't You Grieve', the opening track of the last-mentioned, which I think is a great song.

Didn't Peel have 'When an Old Cricketer Leaves the Crease' played at his funeral?  Is that the Grimethorpe Colliery Band, or the Black Dyke Mills Band?  I can never tell the difference between those two.

sparklewhore

I only really know 'Flat Baroque...' and 'Stormcock', both of which are good. The first is quite folky and acoustic, and the other a bit more spacey and experimental in a minimal way with guitar effects on some of it (I haven't heard it in a while so please correct me if i'm thinking of something else). Has anyone heard Valentine at all? I keep meaning to get it after hearing that Will Oldham is a fan of it, but it is always quite expensive when i see it.