Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Traitors UK (Series 2)

Started by Ja'moke, January 03, 2024, 04:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minami Minegishi

Yeah, his experience on Traitors was a good example of how voting is less about the most suspiciously Traitory person in the group, but old fashioned pile-ons and rejecting of the quiet, awkward and conventionanally unattractive. It is often school playground rules and I think that's why I love the show so much.

I can count the true Traitor hunters (across the 6 series I have seen so far) on one hand.

Utter Shit

One thing that continues to baffle me about this game is that seemingly intelligent, or at least reasoned, people seem to lose their thread and forget that it's a game, and that the traitors are chosen arbitrarily. One of the contestants on the new one - Diane, I think? - said that another contestant seemed like he'd be a good liar, and that this was evidence that he could be a traitor. What are you talking about, it's not real! People aren't designated as faithful or traitor based on whether they're nice or nasty!

Led Souptin

Quote from: Queen Peach on January 07, 2024, 11:54:39 PMyeah but generally a parental relationship is a deeper one than a spousal one

Thing is this could negatively effect their chances too - as soon as anyone starts to suspect some kind of alliance they'll both be in the firing line for banishment, because when the faithfuls have no solid theories of who a traitor is, they'll just cling onto any old shit as a sign. I for one am hoping this will really backfire on them

Led Souptin

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 09, 2024, 03:40:28 PMOne thing that continues to baffle me about this game is that seemingly intelligent, or at least reasoned, people seem to lose their thread and forget that it's a game, and that the traitors are chosen arbitrarily. One of the contestants on the new one - Diane, I think? - said that another contestant seemed like he'd be a good liar, and that this was evidence that he could be a traitor. What are you talking about, it's not real! People aren't designated as faithful or traitor based on whether they're nice or nasty!

I completely agree but I also think there is an element of that line of thinking that is true - I.e the personality types theyve chosen for the starting traitors tend to be people who are EXCELLENT (or at least think they are) at manipulation. The producers definitely put some thought into who will be the most entertaining.

You shouldn't be looking for people you think are liars or cheats cos that makes no sense but you should be looking for people who can easily sway other people.

Queen Peach

Quote from: Led Souptin on January 09, 2024, 05:00:49 PMThing is this could negatively effect their chances too - as soon as anyone starts to suspect some kind of alliance they'll both be in the firing line for banishment, because when the faithfuls have no solid theories of who a traitor is, they'll just cling onto any old shit as a sign. I for one am hoping this will really backfire on them

yeah but it's up to them to fuck up and reveal it. even if they did, it doesn't mean they're out. look at the couple last year. those idiots stayed longer than they should've. she even rejected the chance to be a traitor. no one does that!

buntyman

The reveal at the start of the episode that they were mother and son took away some of the tension at the end of the episode
Spoiler alert
as you knew that Diane wasn't going to get banished because that would make that interesting dynamic immediately redundant. Fingers crossed it will be the jittery Scottish guy that gets voted out so that Ash gets reunited with her traitorous traitors.
[close]

Queen Peach

ash is the biggest liability... almost every season has one

Snrub

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 09, 2024, 03:40:28 PMOne thing that continues to baffle me about this game is that seemingly intelligent, or at least reasoned, people seem to lose their thread and forget that it's a game, and that the traitors are chosen arbitrarily. One of the contestants on the new one - Diane, I think? - said that another contestant seemed like he'd be a good liar, and that this was evidence that he could be a traitor. What are you talking about, it's not real! People aren't designated as faithful or traitor based on whether they're nice or nasty!

That was such a dumb accusation as well as some of that evidence was that he pushed in next to her during the line up in the first episode - before the Traitors were even picked!

Hat FM

Quote from: buntyman on January 09, 2024, 08:48:48 PMThe reveal at the start of the episode that they were mother and son took away some of the tension at the end of the episode
Spoiler alert
as you knew that Diane wasn't going to get banished because that would make that interesting dynamic immediately redundant. Fingers crossed it will be the jittery Scottish guy that gets voted out so that Ash gets reunited with her traitorous traitors.
[close]

i thought the opposite
Spoiler alert
as in this is why they revealed it at this stage - because she is about to get banished
[close]
we shall find out tonight...

chutnut

Quote from: Minami Minegishi on January 04, 2024, 11:40:48 AMI hate that they are still doing the shit music, female breathy slowed down covers of well known songs which make me borderline psychotic.

Agreed this makes me really angry, although I did think it was funny they could just play Portishead unedited

Minami Minegishi

Quote from: chutnut on January 10, 2024, 11:31:50 AMAgreed this makes me really angry, although I did think it was funny they could just play Portishead unedited

Massive Attack plays...

- So these cunts can actually play original music but choose not to??

Portishead plays...

- ffs

Hopefully they will just play 90s trip hop instead.

Ja'moke

That last bit really didn't warrant a cliffhanger.

They're not putting the next two episodes on iPlayer early this week?

Utter Shit

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 10, 2024, 10:09:19 PMThat last bit really didn't warrant a cliffhanger.
I thought the same, it seemed totally redundant...but it was very deliberate so there must be something afoot, surely?

Snrub

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 10, 2024, 10:09:19 PMThat last bit really didn't warrant a cliffhanger.

They're not putting the next two episodes on iPlayer early this week?

No, one episode per night until the end now. They only did the first week in advance last series too.

Queen Peach

Quote from: Snrub on January 10, 2024, 10:22:45 PMNo, one episode per night until the end now. They only did the first week in advance last series too.

is that true?

this show is a fucking mess lol

bobloblaw

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 10, 2024, 10:13:36 PMI thought the same, it seemed totally redundant...but it was very deliberate so there must be something afoot, surely?

Yeah must be something in the reaction to the revelation that's worth ekeing out

Snrub

Quote from: Queen Peach on January 10, 2024, 10:48:39 PMis that true?

this show is a fucking mess lol

Yeah. I think at one point before launch in the first series they said were going to drop three eps per week at once every week but the BBC got cold feet.

Beagle 2

I don't know what would stop her taking the other traitors down with her at this stage (or why she didn't vote for Paul), maybe someone who had watched the other series can explain how they mitigate this? It did sort of fuck up the last UK series. I'm sure I would unless I wasn't going to get my appearance fee or something.

Beginning of the end for Paul though I think. Crumbled under pressure when accused, although I'm sure he'll claim it was all 4d chess and the others will be too thick to read it.

Yeah Paul didn't do well under pressure, he broke down and said he was expecting these accusations but then said Ash saying more or less the same suggested she was a traitor.

Having Zack and Jaz? on your case looks like bad news too, they're not really chucking around mad accusations, they both seem pretty level headed. Maybe they can paint Zack as a traitor as he was the only one defending Ash.

I thought putting yourself in the dungeon was a mistake for a traitor, it just allowed everyone to chat freely about you all day. Rather than 2 people thinking to themselves 'maybe Paul' now most of them have heard their reasoning. The editing really seems to be setting Paul up for a fall too...

Queen Peach

I think Ash is stupid enough to say something idiotic... but I doubt she did. think it's a fake cliffhanger

thr0b

I liked the twist that ultimately the two "remaining" had to either convince everyone to banish Meg or Ash. And they went with Ash. Arf.

Though I have to admit, I wonder what would've happened if they'd been left in the position of being unable to murder anyone.

Ja'moke

When they take their traitor "pledge", they agree to not reveal their identity or the identity of the other traitors. So it must be a rule not to give the others away once voted out (which that idiot blatantly broke last series).

Beagle 2

But seeing as you're out on your arse anyway, surely there's nothing to lose after you've been thrown under the bus like that.

Snrub

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 11, 2024, 01:00:03 AMWhen they take their traitor "pledge", they agree to not reveal their identity or the identity of the other traitors. So it must be a rule not to give the others away once voted out (which that idiot blatantly broke last series).

I mean that guy last series I think stayed within the rules but pushed them to the absolute limit. Ash could have done something similar here, as I think she knew the writing was on the wall. When she revealed her vote she said "You need to start looking in another direction" I thought she was going to reveal a vote for Paul. I can't remember who she put, but I bet the suspicion will be on them tonight. I kind of think the show do need to reveal what the Traitor's oath means in reality - perhaps they will on the spin off.

I think the cliff-hanger is probably a fake out as there it's a rare occasion where there isn't any tension left, you know she's a traitor and was voted for comprehensively, you know Meg is going to be murdered, so they just needed an out.

I think if Meg had have been banished, they'd have played it totally straight, have everyone come in at breakfast the next day and let all hell break loose as people either think it's some odd bit of gameplay - or hopefully come to the conclusion two traitors were left in the dungeon.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Snrub on January 10, 2024, 11:30:43 PMYeah. I think at one point before launch in the first series they said were going to drop three eps per week at once every week but the BBC got cold feet.

it makes some sense though, especially in the first series - 3-ep binge gets you on board and invested, word of mouth spreads, others catch up, then it becomes a must-watch 9pm TV 'event'.

bobloblaw

Quote from: thr0b on January 11, 2024, 12:50:43 AMI liked the twist that ultimately the two "remaining" had to either convince everyone to banish Meg or Ash. And they went with Ash. Arf.

Though I have to admit, I wonder what would've happened if they'd been left in the position of being unable to murder anyone.

everyone would know they were both traitors so they'd be the next two banished

amateur

It's a good programme that I like. I like the music too.

Quote from: Snrub on January 11, 2024, 08:43:31 AMI think the cliff-hanger is probably a fake out as there it's a rare occasion where there isn't any tension left, you know she's a traitor and was voted for comprehensively, you know Meg is going to be murdered, so they just needed an out.

Still fun though! It's a really well edited programme and such a joy to watch.

thr0b

Quote from: amateur on January 11, 2024, 11:39:12 AMIt's a good programme that I like. I like the music too.

Still fun though! It's a really well edited programme and such a joy to watch.

It's increasingly unclear when the interview bits were recorded. For a bit, I assumed during the day, but the outfits often change from shot to shot.

Snrub

Quote from: amateur on January 11, 2024, 11:39:12 AMStill fun though! It's a really well edited programme and such a joy to watch.

Oh yeah absolutely, not denying that. They still do a great job even where episodes can be a bit foregone conclusion

Beagle 2

Quote from: thr0b on January 11, 2024, 12:10:01 PMIt's increasingly unclear when the interview bits were recorded. For a bit, I assumed during the day, but the outfits often change from shot to shot.

Yeah, I feel like I can see most of the joins but I was wondering about the interviews last night. Were they plucking them out of the dungeon to record them during the day? Or are they even staged after the event after watching back the recording? It's definitely a show I would love to see behind the scenes of. How do they manage to smuggle the traitors away from their rooms without being seen or heard? I assume they all have their phones and could be merrily searching for info on the other contestants' backgrounds whilst they're in there.