Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Bands ever

Started by Tom The Funkee Homosapien, August 12, 2007, 09:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom The Funkee Homosapien

There are many music genres in the world today and each one has it fair shares of bands. Who are your favorites? Mine are
. Foo fighters
. Blur
. Oasis
. Gorillaz
. The Who
And a lot more.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Next up: List your favourite 80s pop star hairstyles.

Tom The Funkee Homosapien

Paranormalhandy

Shaved head with pillbox hat accessories.

Spiteface

Quote from: Tom The Funkee Homosapien on August 12, 2007, 09:13:35 PM
There are many music genres in the world today and each one has it fair shares of bands. Who are your favorites?

Seeing as you ask:

Smashing Pumpkins
My Bloody Valentine
Mogwai
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Ramones
Verve (pre-"The")

Paaaaul

- Helloween
- S Club Juniors
- Doctor and The Medics
- T'Pau
- Dave Clark Five

rudi

-Skrewdriver
-Landser
-Prussian Blue
-Whitelaw
-Billy Bragg

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

-Ironically Shit Band
-Ironically Crap Band
-Ironically Silly Band
-Ironically Bollocks Band
-Serious Band Just To Juxtapose With The Others

rudi

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

glitch

-Jewdriver
-Children of Bodom
-Ulver
-The Who
-Oasis

Gulftastic

The Bangles
Prince & The Revolution (Controversy to Sign O The Times era)
The Beatles
The Bloodhound Gang
Nanci Griffith and The Blue Moon Orchestra

Neville Chamberlain

Huzzie

My top three have been steady for the last few years...

The Smiths
Beefheart
Nick Cave

IN that order right now but NC and CP swap around a lot, the Smiths never move from top space.

Then it starts getting difficult
Pixies
Jimi
Beatles
Buzzcocks
I could go on forever if I didn't stop and I have only named them last 4 cause they were the first I remember, another day and I could have listed a set of completely different bands.

TC Raymond

I actually really love the Bangles. Not ironically either, and not because they were fine looking women (except the drummer, and the new bassist who replaced Micki Steele). They just produced good guitar pop, didn't they? I've seen them live twice and they were excellent both times. Also saw Susanna Hoffs do a solo show which was none too shabby, and Vicki Peterson's other band the Continental Drifters. 'Walk Like An Egyptian' was shit, however.

I also like Heart. Their most recent album 'Jupiter's Darling' suffered from the modern malaise known as "being mixed too fucking loud" though. Even playing the bastard on volume 1 caused tinnitus.

Other favourites of mine...
The Who (of course)
The Kinks
Pink Floyd
Small Faces (I hate Ogden's though. Fuck you, Paolo Hewitt.)
Fleetwood Mac

sookmafarter

TURBONEGRO
The Cardiacs
Man . . .or Astroman ?
Polysics

thugler

Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix (With Billy Cox on Bass, Mitch Mitchell on drums)
NOFX
Godspeed you black emperor
Misfits
Metallica  (up to Puppets)
Clutch
Black Flag
Down
Tom Waits

rudi

Quote from: sookmafarter on August 13, 2007, 05:54:52 PM
TURBONEGRO
The Cardiacs
Man . . .or Astroman ?
Polysics

Are you new?

What a great line-up. I'd pay to see that...

sookmafarter

Quote from: rudi on August 14, 2007, 02:12:06 AM
Are you new?

What a great line-up. I'd pay to see that...

Yes I am new . . .couldn't be arsed starting a hello thread or anything, thought it would be a bit wank. Hows it goin?

Yeah man, the only band I haven't seen out that list is turbonegro, but I'm going to remedy that in a couple of months when I go and see them in Munich . . .can't wait, unfortunately I'll have to see marilyn manson at the same time but it'll be worth it. When they play 'I got erection' I'm going to go straight up ape crazy.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: sookmafarter on August 13, 2007, 05:54:52 PM
TURBONEGRO
The Cardiacs
Man . . .or Astroman ?
Polysics

Fuck me! Turbonegro! Cardiacs! Man... or Astroman?! Polysics!

What a marvellous selection, Sir!

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: sookmafarter on August 14, 2007, 02:24:19 AMYeah man, the only band I haven't seen out that list is turbonegro, but I'm going to remedy that in a couple of months when I go and see them in Munich . . .can't wait, unfortunately I'll have to see marilyn manson at the same time but it'll be worth it. When they play 'I got erection' I'm going to go straight up ape crazy.

Crikey! Do you live in Germany then?!? I sometimes wonder if I'm the only Cardiacs fan in Germany.

danielreal2k

TalkTalk
NewOrder
The Smiths
The Verve
Crowded House

Ciarán

ABBA
Beach Boys
Beatles
Kraftwerk
Blondie

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Libertines
The Smiths
The Kinks
The Zombies
The Clash
(embarrassing not to put one that isn't white (Libs drummer notwithstanding) and definite articled, but maybe I'm just narrowminded)

buttgammon

Ooo, this took almost as much thinking as the dsert islad discs one. But:

New Order
The Clash
The Smiths
My Bloody Valentine
Wire

And if we're talking about right now, LCD Soundsystem.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Uh. But you did a bit on how they were your favourite group? I don't get it. My head hurts and my heart does too a little bit.

Anyway:

James
The Smiths
The Orb
Orbital

Probably the most significant musical influences for me and I just like more songs they've done than any other groups. I appreciate this is snubbing a large slice of the past, but I'm not about to start lying about it any time soon. I like plenty of old groups, but I like these chaps miles miles more. Don't want to add more than 4 really, though plenty of other additions spring to mind. The fact that 2 of them are still going and the other 2 have people still making music afterwards is a continuing joy, almost like the journey with them hasn't come to a conclusion yet. Also why I considered these above bands who have conclusively stopped making music. The best bands ever from a 'most telling contribution to music' angle just seems like a journalistic approach rather than a personal one, so it can sod off.