Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doing Your Aspiring Mate A Favour

Started by Artemis, August 29, 2007, 05:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

Is there a thread like this already? Thought it would be nice to have a space where those of us who have aspirations of musical greatness or friends who do, can post a quick once-only post and give the rest of us something to discuss, critique, over-analyse and ultimately destroy.

This isn't an excercise in self-promotion - I'm far from releasing anything myself, but I'd like to offer this for your collective consideration - my next door neighbour from years ago has popped up on the scene, and intends to release a single via iTunes on 8/10/07. You should be able to hear it here ('The Mystery'). He managed to blag a couple of plays on (shudder) Chris Moyles yesterday and is quite excited about it all.

What do you think, and what have you got?

alan nagsworth

That tune is pretty good. It's not something I myself would buy, not my type of music and all that, but the talent is obviously there and I could see a lot of people at the NME or The Fly picking up on stuff like this if it got the right exposure. It's actually quite unique aswell, under the layers of obvious indie there's a charm to it that a lot of smush like Razorlight lack entirely. He has a really good voice aswell, tell him to keep it up.

I've been making music for about a year now using Reason (2 years before that using FLstudio) and all the better tracks I've done are up on http://www,myspace.com/nagsworth. My latest one is called Skinhead Skankin', so if this thread gets off the ground, I'd like a bit of feedback! Thanks.

quadraspazzed

That first track is alright, not really my thing but there's obvious talent there. I did like the little piano cresendo-thing just before the chorus. And a lot less annoying than a lot of modern-day mainstream indie (Razorlight, Killers etc).

Nagsworth: I can't find any songs on that page... what's going on?

Here's my own addition, some old mates of mine are doing pretty well (but are still without a proper record deal - though a couple of their songs are downloadable via Vodafone music, or whatever it's called) - I present the mighty Super Extra Bonus Party. Electro-indie (or something) with occassional appearances by a Brasilian emcee, they're really really good - I swear! Also, their Myspace and Bebo.

My favourite track is Everything Flows

Plus if you're going to the Electric Picnic this weekend, they're on at 12 noon on Saturday in the Bodytonic tent. Well worth seeing live, they're actually great craic live - and in my humble opinion better live than on record. I've seen them loads of times now, and will go and see them many more times I'm sure.

Some press blurbs for their debut album:

Quote"Probably the most inventive irish album this decade. Brimming with energy and exoticness." -4/5 stars Sunday Tribune

"Super Extra Bonus Party kick out the jams with a barrage of magnificent sounds and shapes... There's clattering electro, hypnotic indie-pop drones, a bit of dreamy ambience, a belt of dirty hip hop rudeboyisms, and moments where all of the above appear to come perfectly together in one very deep and wide soundclash. "4/5 stars- Irish Times

"A melting pot of sonic treats... contender for Irish album of the year" -5/5 stars The Star

"Can the best dance album of the year really have originated from Kildare? It's hard to quibble with the evidence: Super Extra Bonus Party's self titled LP is a jazzed-up electro triumph featuring snatches of hip-hop and funk. The results are beautifully daft and completely original." - Irish Independent

"The Kildare four-pieces debut is imbued with flaky charm. Super Extra Bonus Party are always eager to push their sound into strange new directions...You'll be smitten from the start... Marvellous." – 4/5 stars Metro

Yet they still don't have a record deal. Amazing!

Also, a dude I half-know (Thalamus) runs this small-scale record label: http://alphabetset.net/

Quote from: Artemis on August 29, 2007, 05:01:43 AMThis isn't an excercise in self-promotion - I'm far from releasing anything myself, but I'd like to offer this for your collective consideration - my next door neighbour from years ago has popped up on the scene, and intends to release a single via iTunes on 8/10/07. You should be able to hear it here ('The Mystery'). He managed to blag a couple of plays on (shudder) Chris Moyles yesterday and is quite excited about it all.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a74423/moyles-gets-act-signed-with-one-play.html

QuoteRadio 1 DJ Chris Moyles managed to get unsigned singer Doug Walker a record deal after only play of his record.

Walker arrived at the Radio 1 studios early in the morning to hand the breakfast show DJ his single 'The Mystery' and Moyles ended up playing the tune near the start of his show.

Moyles told listeners: "Doug is outside Radio 1 if anyone wants to sign the guy," after the station were reportedly inundated with calls.

By 1pm the Manchester singer-songwriter was in talks with Universal records.

Talking about the incident, Walker told The Sun: "I gave Chris one of the first copies, then kept chatting to him when he came out for fag breaks."

Fucking bastard Moyles, clearly taking credit for the famous "CaB Effect".