Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:26:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Turbo Time! A Cycling Thread

Started by frajer, March 25, 2024, 03:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Hello cyclists of CaB!

Since we made a little human being (odd behaviour, but there you have it) neither me or mrs frajer have been able to have much time to do anything that isn't caring for our baby or doing chores around the house. He's the best, but we do miss having free time.

Chief amongst the things I miss doing is getting out on my bike. I used to go out for an hour's ride between work and home and found it really beneficial for my physical and mental health. Both of which are pretty fucking shot lately, to the point where I am frequently anxiety-ridden, solidly overweight and generally feel like a sack of manure with a face drawn on it.

Mrs frajer had some health issues last year but is doing loads better, thank christ, but I still worry about being far from the house in case I'm needed. So I thought a good thing might be getting one of those turbo trainers. Pop it in the garage, get a bike ride in, but I can also stop anytime and be at home instantly.

So - turbo trainers! Anyone got one? Anyone like them? Anyone got a recommendation?

Spill your guts right here, in this thread!

touchingcloth

Quote from: frajer on March 25, 2024, 03:32:16 PMSo - turbo trainers! Anyone got one? Anyone like them? Anyone got a recommendation?

Point it away from (i.e. face yourself towards) anything of value, for example your precious spawn, otherwise you'll wreck it with a fine coating of pulverised rubber.

madhair60

Norton Canes

Thanks!

Got a Tacx Boost that I bought for a tenner at a car boot last summer. Basic model. All I'll ever need. Smart turbos, Zwift etc. can all GTF.

Seriously, just look out for a second hand trainer with manual variable resistance. Spend the real money money on your bike.

Brigadier Pompous

Some people seem to like it, but I find riding on a turbo very dull!

Why not just go out and ride for an hour every so often, the baby will (probably) still be there when you get back...

mattyc

I used an old-fashioned home trainer during the various Covid lockdowns, really glad I had it especially during the 1st one when we were only allowed out to the shops. It allowed me to continue eating cake without putting back on the weight I had worked hard to lose!

frajer

Cheers all!

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 25, 2024, 03:36:19 PMPoint it away from (i.e. face yourself towards) anything of value, for example your precious spawn, otherwise you'll wreck it with a fine coating of pulverised rubber.
Great tip that you can guarantee I'd have not considered, thank you.

Quote from: madhair60 on March 25, 2024, 03:42:08 PMcunts
Fair.

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 25, 2024, 03:44:39 PMGot a Tacx Boost that I bought for a tenner at a car boot last summer. Basic model. All I'll ever need. Smart turbos, Zwift etc. can all GTF.

Seriously, just look out for a second hand trainer with manual variable resistance. Spend the real money money on your bike.
Lovely stuff, thanks for the recommendation on the Tacx Boost. Will take a look this evening.

Quote from: Brigadier Pompous on March 25, 2024, 03:48:07 PMSome people seem to like it, but I find riding on a turbo very dull!

Why not just go out and ride for an hour every so often, the baby will (probably) still be there when you get back...
Valid points. To be honest it's more if mrs frajer needs me as a matter of urgency, I'd feel wretched if ever I wasn't available. But I'm also aware I'm being over-cautious since her health issues, and it's definitely feeding back into my anxiety.

We have a couple of nice steep hills near us so now that the evenings are getting lighter it's occurred to me I could just ride up and down those for an hour!

Quote from: mattyc on March 25, 2024, 03:49:22 PMI used an old-fashioned home trainer during the various Covid lockdowns, really glad I had it especially during the 1st one when we were only allowed out to the shops. It allowed me to continue eating cake without putting back on the weight I had worked hard to lose!

Nicely done! Replace 'cake' with 'entire share bags of crisps' and this is exactly the balance I'll be striving for.

Norton Canes

Quote from: frajer on March 25, 2024, 04:20:29 PMthanks for the recommendation on the Tacx Boost. Will take a look this evening

Tacx position themselves as a 'premium' brand, kind of like the Dyson of turbo trainers, so I suppose I was lucky to find someone flogging even their most basic model for a meagre tenner. But similar things are made by no end of companies, you should have no trouble finding something for 20-30 quid.

I was talking to someone recently who's done long endurance competition rides in ridiculously hot places like Hawaii, who said the only turbo they trained on they found for free in a skip. 

poo

Former series cyclist. Hated TT with a passion. Soul-destroyingly shit. Felt it did me more harm than good too.

Norton Canes

Je suis grimpeur. La douleur est mon amie.

gilbertharding

Someone gave me a turbo style trainer after I had my bad crash in 2019. I rigged it up with my otherwise useless bike in the garage, and tried to do some GCN Youtube interval sessions... My garage has no power or light, so I was doing these by torchlight, and I was permanently worried the bike was going to collapse off its stand, and I'd break my other collarbone... miserable. I gave the trainer, and my old bike, to the scrap man.

Good luck!

Urinal Cake

I got a smart trainer. I don't like it much. I thought maybe watching movies would improve it. It didn't. I then thought about Zwift but I don't even play lazy games anymore. I just listen to music.