Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:39:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Started by phantom_power, December 15, 2021, 08:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 13, 2022, 08:40:55 PMI've just come out of the film and his review is astonishingly wrongheaded, completely misrepresenative, and just a fundamental misunderstanding of everything about the film.

I enjoyed it plenty even though I could barely follow what was going on and I'm sure I've misunderstood the whole thing. I thought the various timelines were a manifestation of the woman's psyche and she was having some sort of breakdown, the actual reality being the stuff in and around the launderette and everything else being in her own head. There's probably 50 clues that disprove that interpretation.

Some great inventiveness and humour, the two rocks talking to each other was brilliant for instance, as was Roccocoonee. If I had to criticise I'd say it seemed to take 40 minutes to end and it was borderline mawkish for a lot of those 40 minutes. I still don't know if the editor should get an oscar or if he could have got the scissors out more often. It could have lost 5 minutes here and there, like most films these days it seems.

Also the props and costume departments did a great job and looked like they had their hands full. The image of a man fly kicking through the air with a dildo up his arse is one that will stay with me, unfortunately.

Fucking insanity. 8/10.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: olliebean on May 13, 2022, 08:58:53 PMas it was the only available non-audio-described afternoon showing in a decent sized screen at my local multiplex

Yeah the one I went to had subtitles for the deaf or something? Was that typical or did I go to a special screening?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: non capisco on May 15, 2022, 08:10:45 PMAlso liked how Ke Huy Quan was instantly recognisable

I spent about 2 hours wondering if he was Jackie Chan. It sounds racist but I thought Yeoh said in an interview that she spoke to Chan about the film at an early stage and the part was initially written for him. Also he looks a bit like him.

the science eel

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 23, 2022, 02:20:29 PMSome great inventiveness and humour, the two rocks talking to each other was brilliant for instance, as was Roccocoonee. If I had to criticise I'd say it seemed to take 40 minutes to end and it was borderline mawkish for a lot of those 40 minutes.

My thoughts exactly.

I saw Red Rocket last week too, and that one also took 40 minutes to end. I don't get it. What are the benefits of making a 90-minute film 120 minutes for the producer?

Dayraven

QuoteWhat are the benefits of making a 90-minute film 120 minutes for the producer?
More opportunity to indulge yourself creatively and less need to cut, I suppose. I think audiences have been trained to see a longer film as more of a grand event, as well.

Blue Jam

Quote from: olliebean on May 13, 2022, 08:58:53 PMSeeing this next Thursday, as it was the only available non-audio-described afternoon showing in a decent sized screen at my local multiplex. Try not to spoil it for me in the meantime, 'K?

When the cinemas near me do audio-described screenings you have to request a headset at reception to hear the audio description, a bit like the commentary radios at the snooker, or a silent disco- is that not standard these days? Saw this at an AD screening yesterday and couldn't hear the audio descriptions at all, and this was in a small arthouse cinema.

As for the film itself, it was... good. Not mind-blowing, not perfect, but very entertaining. Felt too long and got a bit mawkish towards the end, would have preferred a tight 90 minutes of fast-paced insanity with only the rocks (loved that bit tbf) as a let-up.

Also I never thought I'd hear the Portsmouth Sinfonia in a film. Was grinning from ear to ear at that. Great soundtrack overall.

I give it a solid 4 googly eyes out of 5 👀👀

the science eel

Quote from: Dayraven on May 23, 2022, 03:24:33 PMMore opportunity to indulge yourself creatively and less need to cut, I suppose. I think audiences have been trained to see a longer film as more of a grand event, as well.

Yeah, that last point rings true especially.

Ho hum.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dayraven on May 23, 2022, 03:24:33 PMMore opportunity to indulge yourself creatively and less need to cut, I suppose. I think audiences have been trained to see a longer film as more of a grand event, as well.

I think there's an element of giving the punters more bang for their buck in a very literal sense, especially after covid when the cinema's on its arse.

It's like a trend and maybe directors feel they have to do at least 2 hours now to be a serious film.

The great American novel isn't going to be 50 pages long, is it?

Mister Six

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 23, 2022, 02:31:58 PMI spent about 2 hours wondering if he was Jackie Chan. It sounds racist but I thought Yeoh said in an interview that she spoke to Chan about the film at an early stage and the part was initially written for him. Also he looks a bit like him.

Close - Chan was approached for the role of Evelyn (who was a bloke, originally, obviously). His schedule created a clash, and the Daniels decided to go with a female lead instead. Yeoh says she later teased Chan about getting the role.

Goldentony

the flashbacks to Yeoh leaving her parents were v good for the costumes they had on. That bright genuine looking 80s HK film striped blue/pink Jordache gear and then a proper Tosh from the Bill style crap brown bomber jacket,

Mister Six

The attention to detail throughout was fantastic. The Wong Kar-wai sequence was great too.

zomgmouse

might have been in this thread but i read recently that the directors did their own vfx which is impressive

also may have been mentioned in this thread but they did the music video for "Turn Down for What": https://youtu.be/HMUDVMiITOU

Quote from: the science eel on May 23, 2022, 02:45:36 PMI saw Red Rocket last week too, and that one also took 40 minutes to end. I don't get it. What are the benefits of making a 90-minute film 120 minutes for the producer?

i liked the multiple attempts at endings in that film because there was a lot to be tied up and also so much of it was about unfulfilled expectations

TrenterPercenter

Fantastic film! surely a cult classic.  I was blown away with acting, script and directorial decisions.  A farce, a sci-fi, a philosophical massively poignant study on life, romance and action movie that switched genres effortlessly mirroring its multiverse theme.  I was completely enthralled and genuinely looking forward to watching it again as soon as possible.

Dickie_Anders

Watched this last night expecting to hate it. I saw it was a "multiple universe" thing and thought it was gonna be a conceptual sci-fi movie. Really pleased that it wasn't anything like that, beyond the surface. Almost everything is there for a thematic or metaphorical reason, even the Kung Fu fighting

I think the film is probably at its weakest when it literalises the premise. There were a few lines that were like a cringey atheist reddit post about the vastness of the universe and our insignificance, complete with epic swearing. Everything other than those brief lapses was basically brilliant. I like how the main character would be a cardboard cut-out stereotype in any other film, and sort of is at the start, but by the end feels very human

Someone else said in this thread that they were the only one laughing in the cinema, which was the same case with me and the people I went with. I think some people are so shell-shocked by the weirdness that they don't know when to laugh

phantom_power

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 25, 2022, 05:38:48 PMFantastic film! surely a cult classic.  I was blown away with acting, script and directorial decisions.  A farce, a sci-fi, a philosophical massively poignant study on life, romance and action movie that switched genres effortlessly mirroring its multiverse theme.  I was completely enthralled and genuinely looking forward to watching it again as soon as possible.

It's the first film since I can remember where I have wanted to watch it again as soon as I finished

TrenterPercenter

Spoiler alert
Sucked into....a bagel
[close]

fucking class

Old Nehamkin

I saw this tonight and enjoyed it well enough. Michelle Yeoh is a fun lead and the film hits you with such a barrage of creative, playful flourishes that it's very hard not to be charmed. The whole business of the characters having to perform improbable actions to open up paths to other universes was a neat Douglas Adams type concept that I enjoyed. Some of the humour grated a bit for me and some of the zany multiverse gags felt a bit too Rick and Morty-ish but it was generally amusing and endearing throughout even though I didn't really laugh much.

I did think the film should have probably ended at least 20 minutes earlier than it did. I felt that the actual philosophical/emotional through-line was a little too thin to sustain such a protracted, indulgent finale and it would have retained more dazzle and punch if it was under 2 hours. As it is, I felt it kind of outstayed its welcome and started to repeat itself a bit thematically. Still a pretty good time at the cinema though.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on May 25, 2022, 06:04:17 PMThere were a few lines that were like a cringey atheist reddit post about the vastness of the universe and our insignificance, complete with epic swearing.

I nearly had the same reaction but then I remembered those lines are
Spoiler alert
coming from an angsty teenager.
[close]

phantom_power

And the overall message of love and acceptance, though somewhat cheesy, is much-needed in this day and age

BritishHobo

Ke Huy Quan desperately shouting that
Spoiler alert
"We have to be kind, especially when we don't know what is going on!"
[close]
is something that could easily seem schmaltzy, but felt absolutely perfect and spot-on, especially with his pained delivery. He broke my heart; wonderful performance.

sevendaughters

nah I thought it was absolutely shite, the amount of "this is the art we needed in this time" we've had by appointment every 3 months because the world is a shitbucket bumbaclart hellhole and what has ANY OF IT done, nothing, just adding to the noise and saying nothing except BE KIND BE KIND BE KIND LOL RANDOM BAGEL fuck off

Goldentony

the love each other and univese is chaos stuff was very, very annoying when the ending was going on way longer than it needed to be and also when you consider for example I was sat there thinking about debt collectors and energy prices you honestly want to stand up and piss on the screen and tell the cunts an understanding of quantum physics will not heat the flat

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Goldentony on May 26, 2022, 05:17:49 PMtell the cunts an understanding of quantum physics will not heat the flat

If you knew enough about quantum physics to build your own personal domestic fusion reactor you could heat your flat easily.

Goldentony

ah, this round goes to the PROFESSOR

shagatha crustie

Quote from: sevendaughters on May 26, 2022, 02:08:17 PMnah I thought it was absolutely shite, the amount of "this is the art we needed in this time" we've had by appointment every 3 months because the world is a shitbucket bumbaclart hellhole and what has ANY OF IT done, nothing, just adding to the noise and saying nothing except BE KIND BE KIND BE KIND LOL RANDOM BAGEL fuck off

Really glad someone else felt this way - I'm the only person I know who was mightily unimpressed by this. Total flash-in-the-pan desperate-for-something-meaningful meme-humour hype fodder. And it WASN'T FUNNY.

olliebean

I found it reasonably enjoyable, but no, not especially funny, definitely too long for what it was, and a bit too lolrandom for my taste. I think it would have worked better either as a short without pretensions to be more than it was, or possibly as a TV series with a hefty portion of added depth.

Dickie_Anders

If you watched that bit with the piledriver and didn't find it funny then sorry you haven't got a soul

TrenterPercenter

Wild miserable takes here but probably the same posters that shagged Don't Look Up for being "brave".

Also it feels like this lol random/meme criticism is from people that didn't get the premise of the film.

olliebean

Oh, right, the "You didn't like it because you didn't get it" argument. Great, thanks for that. Go on then, enlighten us, what was the premise that we didn't get?