Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:03:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Experiencing comedy cliches in real life.

Started by Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead, May 27, 2022, 11:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

I have seen someone slip on a banana skin. I am a terrible person, I admit: I laughed. A couple of months ago on Otley Chevin, I met a man whose dog had no nose. I am a terrible person, I admit: I did not ask. But I have never been to the pub as part of a trio along with a Scotsman and an Irishman. I can only wonder what hilarity would have ensued.

What comedy cliches have you experienced in real life? Were they as chucklesome as popular media would have us believe?

robhug

i saw a bloke accidentally run off a cliff, started windmilling which made him stay in the air before eventually giving up and solemnly waving and he fell to his death

funny tho

My mother in law is a stereotypical battleaxe who keeps telling my other half to dump me and find someone with money.

rilk

God imagine the buzz you'd get seeing a dog running from a butchers with a string of sausages in its little mouth

non capisco

Quote from: rilk on May 27, 2022, 12:26:36 PMGod imagine the buzz you'd get seeing a dog running from a butchers with a string of sausages in its little mouth

Ruddy faced butcher stood in the shop doorway shaking his fist at the departing dog also essential.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on May 27, 2022, 11:40:39 AMBut I have never been to the pub as part of a trio along with a Scotsman and an Irishman. I can only wonder what hilarity would have ensued.

I have. Nothing hilarious ensued, but it was in an Irish pub in Thailand, and I don't think the laws of comedic narrative causality stretch that far.

Just thinking about how often I've had sausages and mash but I've never once piled the mash up and stuck the sausages into it like in the Beano. I'm absolutely furious with myself.

thenoise

Done the "say something mean about someone, turn around and there they are" thing, several times. Maybe I ought to stop bitching about people behind their backs?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on May 27, 2022, 11:40:39 AMI have seen someone slip on a banana skin.

If only someone nearby had been practicing on the trombone or the slide whistle.

beanheadmcginty

I've stepped on a rake and smashed myself in the face.

Cuellar

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 27, 2022, 02:21:45 PMI've stepped on a rake and smashed myself in the face.

My dad did that. Agony, apparently. Smashed his teeth in.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 27, 2022, 12:55:08 PMJust thinking about how often I've had sausages and mash but I've never once piled the mash up and stuck the sausages into it like in the Beano. I'm absolutely furious with myself.

this is how i serve my bangers and mash, why wouldn't you do it this way?

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 27, 2022, 02:35:44 PMthis is how i serve my bangers and mash, why wouldn't you do it this way?

It's just impractical isn't it? Mash too soft to brace the sausage when attempting to pick up with fork and/or cut sausage. Sausage inside mash disproportionately hot compared to bare ends.

You'd just end up pulling them out of the mash and placing them next to the mash anyway.

Brundle-Fly

I once witnessed a labourer walking out a yard carrying a long plank on his shoulder. He turned 180 degrees to return for some reason and subsequently smashed a passer-by in the face with the very end of it. It was a smartly dressed, little old man on the receiving end and it split his nose right open, claret everywhere. It was an alarming spectacle, as the poor bloodied man collapsed on the pavement and burst into tears, The builder started crying a bit too, begging forgiveness. No, not that funny, on reflection.

imitationleather

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 27, 2022, 02:50:01 PMI once witnessed a labourer walking out a yard carrying a long plank on his shoulder. He turned 180 degrees to return for some reason and subsequently smashed a passer-by in the face with the very end of it. It was a smartly dressed, little old man on the receiving end and it split his nose right open, claret everywhere. It was an alarming spectacle, as the poor bloodied man collapsed on the pavement and burst into tears, The builder started crying a bit too, begging forgiveness. No, not that funny, on reflection.

I would've absolutely fucking creased if I saw that ngl

imitationleather

C_Larence

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on May 27, 2022, 11:40:39 AMI have seen someone slip on a banana skin. I am a terrible person, I admit: I laughed. A couple of months ago on Otley Chevin, I met a man whose dog had no nose. I am a terrible person, I admit: I did not ask. But I have never been to the pub as part of a trio along with a Scotsman and an Irishman. I can only wonder what hilarity would have ensued.

What comedy cliches have you experienced in real life? Were they as chucklesome as popular media would have us believe?

At the end of last year me and my ex broke up and were doing the whole "maybe we can still be friends thing". A local cinema was showing her favourite movie and I booked tickets for us to go together (because I wanted her to still be in love with me you see). She worked overtime during the week to be able to leave early that day, and we got to the cinema on time. Only to find out that they weren't actually showing the movie that day, it was a week later and I hadn't bothered double checking the date. We left the cinema, and as I thought of a way to try and salvage the night I slipped on a banana peel right in front of her.

Somehow we never got back together

JesusAndYourBush

Me and a friend were watching a video (VHS) in the library at college, the headphones stretched/twisted between us, one ear each.  I said to him "We'd better hope Hitler doesn't catch us!" (Hitler was our nickname for the chief librarian).  After saying those words I looked behind us and there she was, arms folded, glaring at us.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 27, 2022, 05:14:51 PMMe and a friend were watching a video (VHS) in the library at college, the headphones stretched/twisted between us, one ear each.  I said to him "We'd better hope Hitler doesn't catch us!" (Hitler was our nickname for the chief librarian).  After saying those words I looked behind us and there she was, arms folded, glaring at us.

I went to nick a bit of pipe from the metalwork room (to go with the big measuring cylinder a mate had liberated from the science lab), the place was empty apart from the lab-tech guy working away in the corner on a blowtorch with a mask on so was oblivious, I ducked down and found a bit in the scrap shelf and slid it up my arm then turned around to find my teacher stood right behind me.

Endicott

I was once in a car with a tow rope connecting me to the car in front, waiting to pull out of a side road, and a little old man tripped over the rope. I would have laughed but I was too worried my mate would pull out making me run the fella over. Instead he got up, dusted himself off and came and shouted at me through my window, then my oblivious mate pulled away leaving the guy gesticulating and shouting.

A bus driver decided not to stop at a bus stop, but then had to stop at a red light about 30 yards past the stop. An old man ran after the bus and stood in front of it, preventing it from moving and all the while proclaiming that he'd fought a war to stop 'people like you'.

Video Game Fan 2000

i did something aggravatingly stupid as a kid and in response my dad threw his hat on the ground and jumped on it in rage

he wasn't nearly fit enough for it be a full Beano knee-raised jump though

Pink Gregory

Walked into a metal signpost pole because I was excitedly texting on my phone.

Huge lump on my head, eyes watering, three little canaries circling my head

The Mollusk

Quote from: Cuellar on May 27, 2022, 02:27:21 PMMy dad did that. Agony, apparently. Smashed his teeth in.

I want you to know I genuinely laughed long and hard at this

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 27, 2022, 07:05:49 PMWalked into a metal signpost pole because I was excitedly texting on my phone.

Huge lump on my head, eyes watering, three little canaries circling my head

Was walking home in the dark and the unlit main road near my house had a car sat at temporary traffic lights with high beams on dazzling me so I was glaring at them in disgust until I fell over the temporary traffic light sign then the lights immediately went green and they drove off.   

Cuellar

Jerrykeshton

I once watched a friend of mine walk into a lamp post.

Outside my uni, someone was doing a photoshoot in the middle of the street that involved a toilet being placed on the pavement and a person pretending to vomit in to it.

My friend was completely distract by the bizarre sight and carried on looking over his shoulder as he walked, just turning his head back as he face planted into the pole.

It was bloody funny.

Sebastian Cobb

Oh I've splatted face first into a bus shelter when I was a bit tipsy and also fiddling with my phone instead of looking where I was going. Thankfully there wasn't anyone in it at the time.

I walked into a glass door in a hotel and knocked myself over on my back.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 27, 2022, 08:35:48 PMI walked into a glass door in a hotel and knocked myself over on my back.

I saw a couple of men carrying a big pane of glass across a road. No one crashed into it, so more of a clic I guess.

I'm almost certain I've seen someone take someone else out while turning around while holding some lumber.