Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 07:03:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Drop The Dead Donkey returning as a stage show with the original cast...

Started by Twilkes, May 30, 2023, 10:10:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

...is not the news I was expecting to read today. Or any day, really.

Enough time has passed for the writers and the actors that this could actually be really good.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2023/05/29/53219/drop_the_dead_donkey_to_return_as_a_stage_show

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I think this could be a lot of fun with some latitude for improvisation and script updates, although David Swift will be an obvious absence.

Expect men at the stage door asking Susannah Doyle to insult them.

Icehaven

Maybe it's just that photo but it's extraordinary that George and Gus are almost the same age. They look like father and son.

Twilkes

No mention of Haydn Gwynne? She was my favourite and not just in a teen-crush way.

Quote from: Twilkes on May 30, 2023, 11:46:08 AMNo mention of Haydn Gwynne? She was my favourite and not just in a teen-crush way.

I suppose there's no need to bring her back as she was only there for two series, and her replacement Ingrid Lacey was there for four. Great if they could find a way back for her as well as keeping the character of Helen, but Gwynne left because she didn't want to be typecast (sometimes code for a personality clash, but maybe not), so I think that's that.

Brundle-Fly

I'm pleased for Tompkinson. He's had a rotten few years and looks like he's aged twenty years in that time.

Glebe

Interesting!

QuoteMissing is David Swift – who played Henry Davenport, the grouchy, grizzled journalism veteran who begrudgingly anchored the bulletins – as he died, aged 85, in 2016.

I used to get him mixed up with David Waldhorn from The Vicar of Dibley.

Quote from: Twilkes on May 30, 2023, 11:46:08 AMNo mention of Haydn Gwynne? She was my favourite and not just in a teen-crush way.

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on May 30, 2023, 01:06:38 PMI suppose there's no need to bring her back as she was only there for two series

Wow, didn't realise she left that soon.

It was nice to see Jeff Rawle pop up as Robert Pattinson's dad in (cough) Harry Potter. Few years back now, mind.

DrGreggles

"Xylophone for sale" - one of the best gags from any British sitcoms ever for me, Clive.

I'll definitely watch this when it comes to Cambridge.

Mister Six

Obviously there'll be some Photoshop at work, but still - everyone has aged awfully well, haven't they?

I was also surprised they didn't get Hayden Gwynne back, but maybe she's tied up with The Windsors.

Virgo76

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on May 30, 2023, 11:07:19 AMI think this could be a lot of fun with some latitude for improvisation and script updates, although David Swift will be an obvious absence.

I don't think I'd realised he'd died until then. Not surprising really, I suppose, but I hadn't thought about it.
Used to love this. Am always a bit wary of revivals though. Makes more sense than bringing back Fawlty Towers anyway.

Rankersbo

Is this an alternative universe- didn't globelink close in the last episode.

ShadowRaichu

I'm curious to see how they bring back Damien - if I recall, he was trapped by a tribe in the final episode.

It does remind me to try and grab the book about the show.

thr0b

Drop The Dead Donkey 2000 was set in, well, 2000. Written before the final series in which Globelink closed, so not the stage show won't be the first divergent timeline.

But will it be canon?

Tony Yeboah

There's a very good interview with Andy Hamilton on this week's Always Be Comedy Podcast.

neveragain

Don't know if we had a more recent thread for this, but I saw it tonight. Wonderful show. Absolutely flew by. Very well-constructed and very funny. The actors all on top form.

Auntie Beryl

Saw this this afternoon. If you have any fondness for the series, it's well worth it.

Topical jokes updated daily, it seems.

Small Man Big Horse

Pleased to hear that, along with the other reviews, I've tickets for it later this month and am looking forward to it quite a lot.

neveragain

I've been watching the last series and it truly is something special. So many plotlines building up around each other as the news team's lives slowly get worse. The sense of them all frittering away the time before GlobeLink goes under. Great performances across the cast, plus fine guest appearances from David Troughton and Melvyn Hayes. Both the mockumentary opener and packed last episode are top tier.

Gurke and Hare

Spoiler alert
It makes perfect sense for his character of course, but George's ending is unbearably sad.
[close]

neveragain

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 09, 2024, 02:12:48 AM
Spoiler alert
It makes perfect sense for his character of course, but George's ending is unbearably sad.
[close]

Very true.
I also felt for Gus and Damien, to a lesser degree.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Mister Six on May 30, 2023, 06:09:24 PMI was also surprised they didn't get Hayden Gwynne back, but maybe she's tied up with The Windsors.
Died of cancer in October 2023 :(

Billy

"Tied up with the Windsors" is a metaphor for being dead, ie Margaret, Queenie, Kate etc.

I reviewed this show in the other thread when it was first on in January and really enjoyed it, would be interesting to see how it's been updated since.

Mister Six

McDead

Lovely Susanna Doyle, sigh.

The cast do all look great, fair play to them. Funny to think what a huge star Neil Pearson was back in the day (so much so that he was RTD's first choice for any kind of revived Dr Who back in the late nineties)

Small Man Big Horse

I saw this last night and would agree with all of the positive reviews, to the extent that I wish I'd paid for a better seat rather than being at the back of the upper circle. It was still really enjoyable though, and I was impressed as how they gave all of the main characters great material and subplots to sink their teeth in to, while the topical material was nicely vicious. Once all the characters were reintroduced (with the audience needlessly clapping each and every time) it felt like it could have been part of the series, and I really hope it's filmed as it deserves to be seen by a bigger audience. 4.25/5

Drebin

Are there any London dates for this?

The website just says tour dates tbc

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Drebin on June 26, 2024, 11:43:17 PMAre there any London dates for this?

The website just says tour dates tbc

It's just finished touring, and then returned to Richmond for a final week. As far as I can see there aren't any current plans to restage it, though it's more than possible they might if it did well financially.

Drebin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 27, 2024, 02:43:26 PMIt's just finished touring, and then returned to Richmond for a final week. As far as I can see there aren't any current plans to restage it, though it's more than possible they might if it did well financially.

Fingers crossed then.

Tags: