Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 16, 2024, 03:32:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster s17

Started by MigraineBoy, August 24, 2023, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Quote from: amateur on June 07, 2024, 12:53:04 PMTaskmasterclass was fucking dreadful btw

Clips of some of the worst tasks/contestants they've done, and just a voiceover from Horne and Davies. Didn't get past half way.
I agree. Absolutely hated this. Really cheapens the main show.
Wonder what the children's version will be like ?

TheDevilPuppet

Quote from: Virgo76 on June 09, 2024, 10:39:57 AMI agree. Absolutely hated this. Really cheapens the main show.
Wonder what the children's version will be like ?

Supposed to have been on early 2024. Wonder if it'll air in the Summer dead zone instead.  Surely they wouldn't run it when the main show returns in September.

Twilkes

The live final wasn't recorded until February this year, so I don't think there's been any big delay in broadcasting it. It'll be in some family friendly slot so wouldn't really clash with the main version even if broadcast in the same weeks. C4 might even see that as a promotional aid.

I've never watched Taskmaster Bleeped but I do wonder about primary school kids watching it, it's not as if with removing a few swear words it suddenly becomes as family friendly as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, some whole tasks are depraved almost by design.

Yeah I watch bleeped with an eight-year-old who loves it. Sometimes someone will bring a vibrator in for the prize task and they'll edit it right down, briefly show a picture and cut most of the conversation, yet sometimes they'll keep similar bits in. I guess they do what they can with the footage they've got without completely removing sections.

On the while the tasks are ok. They've only done the bleeped episodes for the Channel 4 years and I reckon they've designed the tasks to be a bit safer. I'm not sure what they'd do with Sally Phillips' watercooler moment.

Weirdly they don't bleep 'piss'.

Snrub

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 10, 2024, 07:45:38 AMThey've only done the bleeped episodes for the Channel 4 years and I reckon they've designed the tasks to be a bit safer. I'm not sure what they'd do with Sally Phillips' watercooler moment.

I've not seen them, but there are "bleeped" versions of Seasons 1-9. Back then it was called "Taskmaster PG" and they are still available on UKTV's streaming service, but it looks like that's the one thing that hasn't transferred over to Channel 4.

Given the amount of stuff sitting on the shelf for C4 at the moment since the channel is pretty much in crisis, I wouldn't read too much into Junior Taskmaster not airing yet - the most recent series of Hunted which is one of their biggest hits had been on the shelf for two years before airing. I think most people are anticipating it to be on early evening like Junior Bake Off which is 5pm.

greencalx

I think I mentioned before that we got into TM through the primary school - an enterprising teacher did his own version with some of the staff. Child was 9 at the time, and we worked through the earlier series until we caught up with the current ones. We didn't bother with the bleeped version - child has always been very good at recognising that "daddy language" shouldn't be used in polite company (if only daddy could also learn that lesson) and the more risqué stuff has, in traditional fashion, gone over his head. He doesn't seem to be traumatised by the water cooler moment or cake sitting... at least, not yet.

Rankersbo

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 10, 2024, 07:45:38 AMYeah I watch bleeped with an eight-year-old who loves it. Sometimes someone will bring a vibrator in for the prize task and they'll edit it right down, briefly show a picture and cut most of the conversation, yet sometimes they'll keep similar bits in. I guess they do what they can with the footage they've got without completely removing sections.

On the while the tasks are ok. They've only done the bleeped episodes for the Channel 4 years and I reckon they've designed the tasks to be a bit safer. I'm not sure what they'd do with Sally Phillips' watercooler moment.

Weirdly they don't bleep 'piss'.

The Season 10 ep with Daisy May Cooper has a visual edit to her cocktail name.  Looks like it was done on location so I wonder if they did an extra take for the bleeped version

mjwilson

Quote from: Twilkes on June 10, 2024, 06:54:49 AMThe live final wasn't recorded until February this year, so I don't think there's been any big delay in broadcasting it. It'll be in some family friendly slot so wouldn't really clash with the main version even if broadcast in the same weeks. C4 might even see that as a promotional aid.

I've never watched Taskmaster Bleeped but I do wonder about primary school kids watching it, it's not as if with removing a few swear words it suddenly becomes as family friendly as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, some whole tasks are depraved almost by design.

Some friends of mine told me that their kids watched Bleeped but with subtitles on, and the subtitles had not had the swears removed.

Oosp

Quote from: mjwilson on June 10, 2024, 10:22:00 AMSome friends of mine told me that their kids watched Bleeped but with subtitles on, and the subtitles had not had the swears removed.

If Greg Davies himself isn't behind that, I'd be amazed

Frank Wank

Quote from: mjwilson on June 10, 2024, 10:22:00 AMSome friends of mine told me that their kids watched Bleeped but with subtitles on, and the subtitles had not had the swears removed.

I love reading old OFCOM complaints, and that comes up surprisingly often.

The Crumb

A bit late to the party but I found this a quietly enjoyable series. Probably not one I'd bother rewatching but a decent time. Nick was my favourite, I loved his unruffled aura of complete affability.

John Robins was one of my least favourites ever, the desperate to win feeling of Ed Gamble but also dreary and low energy. Was groaning every time he boringly found a way to get 5 points.

Rankersbo

I was glad to see Nick as himself and he is charming and lovely. Particularly as I dislike Mr Swallow

Obel

Quote from: The Crumb on June 12, 2024, 03:30:42 PMA bit late to the party but I found this a quietly enjoyable series. Probably not one I'd bother rewatching but a decent time. Nick was my favourite, I loved his unruffled aura of complete affability.

John Robins was one of my least favourites ever, the desperate to win feeling of Ed Gamble but also dreary and low energy. Was groaning every time he boringly found a way to get 5 points.

Yeah John Robins was nice enough but incredibly boring.

I think I might be in love with Sophie Willan.

frajer

I'm surprised how much I disliked this run as, taken individually, I didn't mind any of the contestants (the mechanically desperate Robins aside) but neither did any of them shine.

They were just so bloody affable, which served to make the fairly dull tasks feel even more uninspired. It was like watching people pleasantly turn up and do a bit of grouting or something.

Someone else mentioned upthread but this series was definitely crying out for a wild card contestant to liven things up.

crumblingman

I liked his XFM show with Elis James but Robins seems such a desperately conflicted and unhappy man that it just made me feel a bit down whenever he was on screen. Not ideal for a comedy show tbh.

g0m

Quote from: g0m on May 29, 2024, 10:35:32 AMgot this sent to my EMAIL

i uh live in ireland so i can't actually go to this. but hey, big ups to me for winning

DrGreggles

You appear to have won the chance to try to get a ticket.
Like when tickets go on pre-sale for something.

g0m

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 20, 2024, 03:40:01 PMYou appear to have won the chance to try to get a ticket.
Like when tickets go on pre-sale for something.

i am aware of the meaning of the text!

BritishHobo

I also got the e-mail but am also too far away to be able to take advantage of it. Also not sure I know anyone who would want to go, and the thought of being on my tod in a group of 13 strangers doing Taskmaster tasks makes me feel an incredible amount of dread.

I also got through the ballot and am near enough to that London to go but balked at the ticket prices (£100 per adult for the weekend sessions and it's an hour at most), plus I think this will very likely be shit and missing any of the show's innate charm and whimsy.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: frajer on June 13, 2024, 04:50:37 PMI'm surprised how much I disliked this run as, taken individually, I didn't mind any of the contestants (the mechanically desperate Robins aside) but neither did any of them shine.

They were just so bloody affable, which served to make the fairly dull tasks feel even more uninspired. It was like watching people pleasantly turn up and do a bit of grouting or something.

Someone else mentioned upthread but this series was definitely crying out for a wild card contestant to liven things up.
I didn't dislike it by any means, but it was definitely a bit bland overall. I've recently been rewatching some old series and the best ones always feature a lot of antagonism between the contestants (playful antagonism - not real, like with Iain Stirling) which seemed to be lacking here.

Led Souptin

I dunno if it's just the marketing for the live event thing or the mad "you can't come" ticket ballot winners thing, but does anyone else get the feeling that taskmaster is becoming a little bit culty?

Drink this kool aid. Fastest wins. Your time starts now.

Send this to Brooker, it'll make a fantastically dull episode of black mirror.

Quote from: Led Souptin on June 20, 2024, 07:30:50 PMI dunno if it's just the marketing for the live event thing or the mad "you can't come" ticket ballot winners thing, but does anyone else get the feeling that taskmaster is becoming a little bit culty?

I don't know about culty but it's definitely become a bit of a behemoth.

If done well the live experience could be great. The Crystal Maze certainly was. Some of the dafties over at r/taskmaster are fuming that Greg and Alex won't be there and it's not at the actual house.

Snrub

Yeah I "won" as well - price alone wouldn't necessarily put me off for a once in a lifetime thing, but I absolutely could not be arsed at sharing the experience with 10+ strangers.

Small Man Big Horse

Just got the Chortle weekly email and there's a story about everyone in the entire universe being fucked off at the £100 a ticket cost. Can't blame them either, so I'm not sure why this post started off in a bit of a snarky way. Anyhow, it's definitely not something I'd go to for half that amount, but I think that's partially due to watching a bit too much of the show and the various international versions, I hear the latest Australian series is great but only made it through the first two episodes watching about ten minutes at a time.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2024/06/20/55855/extortionate%21_fans_fury_at_taskmaster_live_ticket_prices

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on June 20, 2024, 10:56:10 PMSome of the dafties over at r/taskmaster are fuming that Greg and Alex won't be there

If I was forking out 100 quid for a "Taskmaster experience" I'd expect a bit more than watching a video of Alex Horne, that's a bit rum.

Drebin

Quote from: HMS Beanspiller on June 20, 2024, 04:35:31 PMI also got through the ballot and am near enough to that London to go but balked at the ticket prices (£100 per adult for the weekend sessions and it's an hour at most), plus I think this will very likely be shit and missing any of the show's innate charm and whimsy.

Yeah, it seems unnecessarily spenny.

The last sessions of the day are "only" £50 though so I opted for that instead.

chutnut

Quote from: Led Souptin on June 20, 2024, 07:30:50 PMI dunno if it's just the marketing for the live event thing or the mad "you can't come" ticket ballot winners thing, but does anyone else get the feeling that taskmaster is becoming a little bit culty?

It definitely seems to be reaching that peak popularity stage where there's about 100 spin offs and everyone's always going on about it and it starts to get a bit annoying

Tiggles

San Campbell apparently slipped in a dig during his Dublin show last night, at the end of one of his bits that references Taskmaster (which he fully acknowledges changed his life): "Go try the live experience, it's only £400".

I get that this will be expensive to put on, if done properly, but it does seem like Alex Horne has quite badly misjudged his pricing structure.

A lotttt of pressure to get the tasks right at that price-point, imagine paying £100 and getting some of the vent-tier gubbins that's popped up in recent series.

Tags: