Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:07:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Are You Being Served?

Started by Virgo76, February 09, 2024, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Why was Are You Being Served? so called?
Was it ever a commonly used expression?
Is there some double meaning in there? Are you getting enough sex (or something)?
What about the character names? Miss Slocombe? Captain Peacock? Mr Humphries? Spooner? Are they innuendos too?
Thoughts welcome.
Perhaps I am just a pervert.

And that bit when the older woman talked about her cunt - was that literal or figurative?

Keebleman

I was asked the question just the other day, in a Wetherspoons, and by a young person who might well have been ignorant of all things Inman.

famethrowa

Well from my farming upbringing, "served" or "servicing" is basically the livestock being inseminated. I can see how it's fallen out of common use, but it means that for an early 70's TV audience, it would literally mean "Are you in the process of getting fucked with all spunk going up inside you, literally at this moment?".

Mrs Slocombe: her orgasms take a while
Capt Peacock: His penis is the size of a tiny vegetable
Mr Humphries: originally scripted as "Mr I'm Free"
Spooner:.... a spoon with cum in it? I don't know
Miss Brahms: got "bra" in her name, comedy

In the meantime, this song from 1977 should answer any other questions you have:

Jittlebags

Cuthbert (Wingnut) Rumbold - had feathers on his bollocks.

gilbertharding

You've all done (meaning 'fucked') very well.

lauraxsynthesis

gilbertharding

Twilkes

I just assumed that all the people that worked there were fugitives from the law, hence the unusual made-up names, strange outfits and over the top demeanours, and if one of them ever got served the court order for their crime the others would disappear out the back and form another cabal combination of oddballs fronting an anachronistic business, although not before all frigging themselves silly first (hence the question mark, where the curve is an arm and the dot is a clitoris).

jamiefairlie

It was a pretty common opening question in shops then.

jobotic

The funniest thing about Are You Being Served? was Alan Partridge pronouncing it Are You Being Served? and Are You Being Served?

mrClaypole

The trumpet line from the theme tune alludes to the sound of Mr Humprheys loose anus expelling accidental gas

gilbertharding

So this afternoon I read about the backstory of 'Grace and Favour'

Fucking hell...

mrClaypole

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 09, 2024, 09:01:09 PMSo this afternoon I read about the backstory of 'Grace and Favour'

Fucking hell...

Whats the story?

gilbertharding

Young Mr Grace dies, and instead of a pension, the staff are left the house, which they can't sell. They open it as a hotel... With hilarious results (it says here)

No idea how come the staff of Maplins ended up running a railway station though - sorry.

gilbertharding

mrClaypole

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 09, 2024, 09:06:10 PMYoung Mr Grace dies, and instead of a pension, the staff are left the house, which they can't sell. They open it as a hotel... With hilarious results (it says here)

No idea how come the staff of Maplins ended up running a railway station though - sorry.

I remember it being on in the early 90s. But I don't think I watched it as I can't remember a single thing about any episode. Sounds grim. I think it's on that's TV.  Might be worth a watch

jobotic

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 09, 2024, 09:06:10 PMYoung Mr Grace dies, and instead of a pension, the staff are left the house, which they can't sell. They open it as a hotel... With hilarious results (it says here)

You think that's bad?

QuoteEpisode 1 of Series 2 contains a number of satirical references to the wrongful conviction and hanging of Derek Bentley for the murder of a policeman. The case revolved around the issue of whether Bentley's words "Let him have it, Chris" to his associate Christopher Craig were meant literally ("Let him have the gun") or figuratively ("Open fire!"). The case had been widely publicised and was the subject of a film titled Let Him Have It starring Christopher Eccleston a few years before the show was made.

poodlefaker

JOHN IN MAN. you wouldn't get away with it these days.

dissolute ocelot

Please say someone has noted down all the elevator announcements from the theme tune and used them to construct a detailed model of Grace Bros store, complete with working Richards and Inman.

In real life, by now the Grace Bros store would have been sold to a middle-eastern investor and probably converted into luxury flats. So there's a sitcom idea for you.

jobotic

This is on right now. There's loads of innuendo about Mr Humphries being gay but also about a simple country girl he's attracted to. Ahead of its time.

Not one mention of Mrs Slocombe's genitals yet but Wendy Richards made one about a bloke getting his leg over.

famethrowa

Quote from: jobotic on March 03, 2024, 11:58:13 AMNot one mention of Mrs Slocombe's genitals yet but Wendy Richards made one about a bloke getting his leg over.

heheheheheh

oh do stop it Jobbers

Glebe

Quote from: jobotic on March 03, 2024, 11:58:13 AMNot one mention of Mrs Slocombe's genitals yet but Wendy Richards made one about a bloke getting his leg over.

jobotic

3 episodes in and finally got an I'm Free and Mrs Slocombe talking about a mouse problem: "I'll put my pussy in front of the hole and it'll get a nasty surprise".

They haven't lost it.

jobotic

I've had enough though. Someone else can watch this - That's TV right now.

Crunk

Quote from: mrClaypole on February 09, 2024, 08:40:09 PMThe trumpet line from the theme tune alludes to the sound of Mr Humprheys loose anus expelling accidental gas

lol bender

The film version's on fairly often on freeview.  They all.....wait for it.....go on holiday together.

Tags: