Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 05:14:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Are You Being Served?

Started by Virgo76, February 09, 2024, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on June 03, 2024, 12:41:06 AMSomeone said at the Carry On conference that the AYBS? film was a total "rehash" of Abroad. Not sure I want to watch and judge for myself.

I'm Afraid I didn't get as far as them actually going abroad. Mrs Slocombe was perving up Captain Peacock in a "what happens abroad stays abroad" way. He rebuffed her and then went and did the same thing to Miss Brahms.

Did they do that kind of thing in the series?

I bailed then.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on June 03, 2024, 12:41:06 AMSomeone said at the Carry On conference that the AYBS? film was a total "rehash" of Abroad. Not sure I want to watch and judge for myself.

I don't think that's really stands up to close scrutiny and even on a cursory level, it's not a compelling idea. 

Foreign holidays  - particularly to Spain - that went wrong was a very topical thing to have in the 1970s. Even looking at it in a superficial basis, it's not as if Carry On Abroad was coming up with a wildly original set-up that no one else was likely to come up with. Jokes about travel agencies going bust and holiday resorts/hotels that were still being built gained a lot of currency - in the case of the latter, I'm pretty sure that jokes about Spanish hotels were still being told.

Off the top of my head, the final episodes are Steptoe and Son, and Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? (both Christmas specials) make reference to travel agents going out of business. In the former, Albert is how common this was happening and saying something like 'we're a joke to people abroad). In the latter, Bob is sporting a beard as he and Thelma instead of going on holiday, had spent a week at an airport (Luton?) as on the day they were flying, the agents had ceased trading but due to rumours they stayed on.

Love Thy Neighbour had an episode where they went to holiday in Spain with far from hilarious consequences; although I don't think anything is wrong with where they stayed, it does reflect how these kind of holidays were the sort of things to feature in sitcoms.

The ABYS? film is adapted from a stage play, which can be seen from the film, such as staging and the farce-like elements. There's also a sub-plot involving revolutionaries, which makes no sense whatsoever. Part of the script, IIRC, is reusing material from the television series so if anything is being rehashed it's that!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: jobotic on June 03, 2024, 06:27:58 PMI'm Afraid I didn't get as far as them actually going abroad. Mrs Slocombe was perving up Captain Peacock in a "what happens abroad stays abroad" way. He rebuffed her and then went and did the same thing to Miss Brahms.

Did they do that kind of thing in the series?

I bailed then.

No, not really.

jobotic

They were going on holiday paid for by the firm. The shop staff to Soain and the manual workers to Morocco, funnily enough.

Works holidays seem so alien.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on March 09, 2024, 06:40:33 AMIt's weird that Sachs plays the Spanish hotel manager in the AYBS? movie. Came out  in '77, two years after FT began.

He was cast exactly because of playing Manuel.

mhmhmh

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 03, 2024, 06:40:59 PMThe ABYS? film is adapted from a stage play, which can be seen from the film, such as staging and the farce-like elements. There's also a sub-plot involving revolutionaries, which makes no sense whatsoever. Part of the script, IIRC, is reusing material from the television series so if anything is being rehashed it's that!

Ages since I last saw it but isn't the first part of the film basically an unused episode set in the shop before they go on hols? Makes sense that this would be the first act of a stage thing at a summer season.

I bet some drinking went on during those summer seasons.

Glebe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on June 03, 2024, 06:45:17 PMHe was cast exactly because of playing Manuel.

Aye, must be my dumbest post ever (and I've done a few)!

rubysay

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on March 04, 2024, 07:50:58 AMThey're subtle folk, those Aussies.
Nothing to add to this thread but this
- series of sketches from Australian private school political satirists the chaser I remember mindlessly repeating as a child, that reflects that sentiment

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on June 03, 2024, 06:43:57 PMThey were going on holiday paid for by the firm. The shop staff to Spain and the manual workers to Morocco, funnily enough.

Works holidays seem so alien.

Wasn't there an in-universe scandal caused by Mr Harman getting better treatment than his social betters?

I found the whole idea of the firm sending the entire staff off on holiday unbelievable for several reasons:

1. None of them objected to not being allowed their families to come with them).
2. The tax implications are never explained.
3. How could any business justify the cost? I know the shop was shut for refurbishment, which is unbelievable in itself - but surely you'd just negotiate to give the staff some kind of furlough payment instead.

But then, Grace Brothers later gave them a stately home in lieu of a pension, so perhaps it's just best not to think too hard about it.

And, in any case, I remember my first workplace having a tea lady who came around with a trolley twice a day, and a typing pool with actual typewriters, which at this distance makes me sound as if I must be at least 100 - so maybe staff holidays *were* a real thing that actually used to happen in the 70s.

Tags: