Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 07:35:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Kay, first performer new Manchester venue, old material?

Started by TheAssassin, February 19, 2024, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 05, 2024, 09:49:36 AMIt must be hard to try out new material for a big mainstream star comic though, because of people recording it on their smartphones. It'll all be on social media the next day. Must be maddening.

would it be that difficult to do a secret show with an audience that can be relied on not to do that?

I guess the big comics don't necessarily remain in touch with the circuit.  They'd likely get spotted anyway.  I have seen WIP shows from big people (Harry Hill at least) in smaller theatres, so there is at least that?

itf

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on June 05, 2024, 09:49:36 AMIt must be hard to try out new material for a big mainstream star comic though, because of people recording it on their smartphones. It'll all be on social media the next day. Must be maddening.

He did a stack of warm-ups at the Lowry Studios at the very least that I'm aware of for this run. I went to one he did there for the previous tour. I'm not sure who they went on sale to though, as I'm a member and never got a notification.

idunnosomename

Just workshopping the idea of riding a giant bunch of balloons across the audience using a shovel as a guitar singing advert themes to songs backed by a choir

Snrub

The point about it being hard to try out, I can see where it's coming from as agree it would be a nightmare in one sense, but if he wanted to do try outs he could do. I think maybe before the cancelled tour five or six years ago there was some story that came out that he'd just popped up at some random comedy night in the north west, but I don't think he does many of them.  EDIT - It was the Lowry as mentioned by itf above

So I actually did go and see this at Co-op Live on a freebie – I enjoyed it for what it was, but I think I'd be pissed off if I was paying £70 for it.

On the try-out points, I assume that a lot of this was the show he would have done if it hadn't been cancelled. Some of the stories he claim as happening recently have a few elements in them that date them – I know lots of comedians have that of course, but he's got references to Paddy "recently" filming Take Me Out which has been off air half a decade – and also to him filming Doctor Who which was probably 2006 (he also said he filmed this in London, which I assume is just a fudge so he can slag off the episode he was in, which he also does in his recent book). He also mentions Jason Manford as "former comedian, now famous singer" even though his album came out in 2017. Interestingly I saw Manford try out some new material at XS Malarkey a few days before and he said he'd been playing that gig so long he remembers playing it "when Peter Kay was nice to other comics".

I think the criticism that sometimes he is lazy is absolutely fair – he has charm, and is obviously a funny person, but the singalong stuff that takes up so much of the show is absolute garbage.

But there are some bits where he obviously does give a shit – I didn't think much of the "misheard lyrics" routine last time, even less so now, but I was impressed he genuinely is working that cassette player to within an inch of it's life – there was some improvisation with a sign language interpreter and I could see him spooling back, so it's not just a prop with the sound person playing in the cues. I just think, wow, what if you gave that much of a shit about the rest of it.

I also think the tribute to his Nan and the stuff around that is good. I think a couple of his better anecdotes are in his recent TV book that came out last year.

As mentioned above – Peter Gay – whatwereallthatabout? Literally never mentioned by him at all, more than a bit off.

Obviously he's lost a lot of weight too, but I wonder if he's had his teeth done or had dentures put in or something. He seemed to be sucking them a lot and it reminded me of watching my Grandad or something. For me that's really aged him rather than anything else of his appearance.

The finale – so much wrong with it. I'd seen the 30 seconds or so I could bare watching posted in here, but was morbidly fascinated by it in person. Watching the crowd for the first two minutes I could only see complete bafflement in people's faces – with a bit more enjoyment as he started whizzing around the arena, but it was hardly a pumping singalong.

I have to say as a long time Neighbours fan, I did laugh at him putting up footage of Paul Robinson burning Lassiters to the ground and then singing Highway To Hell over the top. He could have gone route one with the Neighbours reference, and done Bouncers Dream or Kylie and Jason but at a mere 20 years old a very modern reference for Kay. I'm not saying all is forgiven, but I do feel like he has more to give if he could be arsed.
Ultimately, it's very frustrating and I can't say I'd recommend it – which I guess isn't a surprise.

itf

Quote from: Snrub on June 05, 2024, 10:26:05 AMI think the criticism that sometimes he is lazy is absolutely fair – he has charm, and is obviously a funny person, but the singalong stuff that takes up so much of the show is absolute garbage.

I think the thing that infuriated me most about this bit was that it's a not a joke, it's not stand-up, it's not even an anti-joke, it's just absolutely time-filling nothingness.

Snrub

Quote from: itf on June 05, 2024, 10:50:43 AMI think the thing that infuriated me most about this bit was that it's a not a joke, it's not stand-up, it's not even an anti-joke, it's just absolutely time-filling nothingness.

Yeah, agree with that. And the fact that it's right at the start of the show almost shows contempt for the audience. Maybe he thinks that's what people want from him, as it is literally just "do you remember" in it's final, purest, form

Brundle-Fly

He's basically doing his own warm up with this opening medley of common touch songs. It gets the fans excited but not all laughed out. It's quite shrewd in a way.

Sonny_Jim

I don't think I'd be in any danger of being 'laughed out'

Jockice

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 21, 2024, 03:23:15 PMI find the sesame street one interesting as it's right on his aging Gen-X/millennial nostalgia demographic. It hasnt been on British tv for 20+ years

I'm sure I mentioned this on another thread once but as a child in the 70s I never saw Sesame Street because we moved house several times and the ITV region I lived in at the time never showed it. Just to make it worse, the region I'd been in before always seemed to start showing it not long after I'd left. It was in the days when national newspapers always had the variations in their listings and this Sesame Street thing was on wherever I wasn't. And even if I'd go back to visit family they'd stop showing it at the time I was visiting.

It achieved mythical - and mystical - status in my head, especially when I discovered it was by the same lot who made the Muppets. I was in my late teens by the time I finally managed to see it and although I thought it was decent I wasn't really the target audience by then. Thanks ever so much ITV regional programme planners .I probably wouldn't even get Peter Kay's jokes about it because of you.

Quote from: Snrub on June 05, 2024, 10:26:05 AMI think the criticism that sometimes he is lazy is absolutely fair – he has charm, and is obviously a funny person, but the singalong stuff that takes up so much of the show is absolute garbage.

Even the great Ken Dodd did stuff like that with the Diddymen.

Quote from: Jockice on June 06, 2024, 08:17:54 AMI'm sure I mentioned this on another thread once but as a child in the 70s I never saw Sesame Street because we moved house several times and the ITV region I lived in at the time never showed it. Just to make it worse, the region I'd been in before always seemed to start showing it not long after I'd left. It was in the days when national newspapers always had the variations in their listings and this Sesame Street thing was on wherever I wasn't. And even if I'd go back to visit family they'd stop showing it at the time I was visiting.

It achieved mythical - and mystical - status in my head, especially when I discovered it was by the same lot who made the Muppets. I was in my late teens by the time I finally managed to see it and although I thought it was decent I wasn't really the target audience by then. Thanks ever so much ITV regional programme planners .I probably wouldn't even get Peter Kay's jokes about it because of you.

This sketch from SS is my favourite.

Jockice

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 06, 2024, 08:39:59 AMThis sketch from SS is my favourite.

You see, that me confused already. Ernie on the left? I thought they were like Ant and Dec in that they were always on screen in the order of their names. In fact I thought the Geordie duo got the idea from them. Genuinely.

I have a lot to learn!

letsgobrian

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on June 06, 2024, 08:39:10 AMEven the great Ken Dodd did stuff like that with the Diddymen.

Maybe Kay needs to front load his show with hours of mediocre variety acts to make you appreciate him more when he finally arrives on stage at midnight.

Tags: