Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 19, 2024, 07:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Kay, first performer new Manchester venue, old material?

Started by TheAssassin, February 19, 2024, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 19, 2024, 10:51:49 PMThe Co-op Arena? That's pretty fucking naff isn't it. It's like opening the Tescodome.
The Co-Operative Group have their headquarters in Manchester city centre, having originated in Rochdale in 1844.

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 19, 2024, 10:34:47 PMhis arena tour is basically booked out into 2025 so these tickets are guaranteed to sell like hot cakes, considering they go on sale Friday for exactly a month later. I guess he's just an act it's easy to get that can easily sell 20k tickets, although surely for the opening there will be a lot of corporate comps.

God he must be making a packet off all this

Hot??? Cakes???

SteveDave

This quote

QuoteWhen you think of Manchester, it's hard not to think of Peter Kay.

is a bit baffling as the cunt won't stop banging on about being from Bolton. Is Bolton to Manchester what Croydon is to London? Close but not close enough. I did History not Geography.

lazyhour

Can I just check: fat jokes aren't cool on CaB but bald jokes are fine?

mippy

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 20, 2024, 01:42:28 PMOh, why's that then?

Because they're the kind of thing Ali Carter would find hilarious. The kind of thing enjoyed by people who like to shout 'oop, chucking your money away!' at someone who drops a coin, whose favourite emoji is either crying laughing face or thumbs up

If you want to go through life coming across as the kind of person who writes 'Yes Please 😂😂😂' in the 'Sex' section of a form, though, who am I to judge? I am not Judge Judy.

mippy

We don't need another Kay show
We don't need another way home (on a Chopper bike)
All we want to do is drink Rola Cola
Behind the Tescodome

buzby

Quote from: SteveDave on February 20, 2024, 02:05:53 PMThis quote

is a bit baffling as the cunt won't stop banging on about being from Bolton. Is Bolton to Manchester what Croydon is to London? Close but not close enough. I did History not Geography.
It's part of Lancashire that got lumped into Greater Manchester (see also Wigan and Bury) in 1974. Manchester itself was on the border between Lancashire and Cheshire (with the River Mersey being the historic boundary), so when the metropolitan county was created, boroughs on both sides of the border were taken from the counties either side to orbit around the city at the centre.

mippy

Spiritually, it's like calling Ellsmere Port part of Liverpool, though. It's just not, I don't care if they have a really good record shop there.

idunnosomename

Kay's actually from Farnworth, which is just south of Bolton and thus that bit closer to Manchester.

He went to Salford University which is walkable to Manchester city centre and took a lot of early jobs in Manchester, including at what is now the AO Arena that he packs out (hence the episode of That Peter Kay Thing). So he does have a fair bit to do with the city, even if I wouldn't claim think of Manchester, think of Peter Kay.

The Croydon of Manchester is clearly Stockport, but I can't shake the idea a Croydon of somewhere needs to be to its south.

Quote from: lazyhour on February 20, 2024, 02:13:27 PMCan I just check: fat jokes aren't cool on CaB but bald jokes are fine?

And we wonder why Butterbean doesn't post on here any more.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 20, 2024, 02:45:39 PMThe Croydon of Manchester is clearly Stockport, but I can't shake the idea a Croydon of somewhere needs to be to its south.

The pyramid would sit well in Croydon.

Ray Travez

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 20, 2024, 02:45:39 PMHe went to Salford University which is walkable to Manchester city centre

"When you think of Manchester, it's hard not to think of Peter Kay potentially being within walking distance at various points in his life."

dontpaintyourteeth

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: lazyhour on February 20, 2024, 02:13:27 PMCan I just check: fat jokes aren't cool on CaB but bald jokes are fine?
Calling it a joke is generous.

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: buzby on February 20, 2024, 02:31:05 PMIt's part of Lancashire that got lumped into Greater Manchester (see also Wigan and Bury) in 1974. Manchester itself was on the border between Lancashire and Cheshire (with the River Mersey being the historic boundary), so when the metropolitan county was created, boroughs on both sides of the border were taken from the counties either side to orbit around the city at the centre.

Likewise, Croydon's been a London borough since 1965

g0m

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 20, 2024, 01:42:28 PMOh, why's that then?

from what i've seen it generally tends to indicate the person in question is making the joke because they find the very idea of "pronouns" to be risible, because they think it's a ridiculous trans thing [not saying you're doing this]

Kankurette

Quote from: mippy on February 20, 2024, 11:18:50 AMThis reminds me of when I clicked on a 442oons video and there was a joke about something being seen 'as often as Katie Price's cervix', which sort of went beyond being a cheap and nasty joke about a laydee to all the way to being incredibly retro in the year 2024. Peter Kay would probably do that gag with Antonia De Sancha in it or something for maximum remembering points.
442oons is as funny as herpes. Like when their sole joke about David Unsworth was 'lol he's fat and he eats a lot like a big Fatty McFatterson', and I know they're Liverpool fans and Everton are fair game but FFS lads, you can do better than that, why not make him a rhinoceros or something? 'I'm off to drown my sorrows at the watering hole after I headbutt Kevin Mirallas into space.' It's giving me flashbacks to Match magazine going on about Kevin Pressman's weight all the time. Not to mention the obsession with managers shitting themselves. The Champions is better (mainly because of Messi and his hand puppet).

And does anyone really give a shit about Price outside Mumsnet and tabloids?

The Culture Bunker

As a random aside, bearing in mind the Greater Manchester talk above, years ago I had a job that in part involved taking contact details for people asking for particular bits of information. It seemed on a regular basis that you'd have someone recite their address with variations of "Salford, Lancashire - LANCASHIRE, mind you, not Greater Manchester".

Peter Kay can use that for a 20 minute routine, if he's reading this.

Kankurette

Was it Mark E Smith?
Quote from: mippy on February 20, 2024, 02:28:36 PMBecause they're the kind of thing Ali Carter would find hilarious.
Oh BURN
Quote from: mippy on February 20, 2024, 02:43:50 PMSpiritually, it's like calling Ellsmere Port part of Liverpool, though. It's just not, I don't care if they have a really good record shop there.
Reminds me of when my mum, who is from the Wirral, claimed to be a Scouser while my gran claimed to be from Cheshire.

Nobody wants Ellesmere Port.

Rankersbo

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on February 20, 2024, 07:36:35 PMAs a random aside, bearing in mind the Greater Manchester talk above, years ago I had a job that in part involved taking contact details for people asking for particular bits of information. It seemed on a regular basis that you'd have someone recite their address with variations of "Salford, Lancashire - LANCASHIRE, mind you, not Greater Manchester".

I'm from Manchester. Moved to a neighbouring borough and gave my address as Greater Manchester.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Well the government did tear up our beloved, ancient county in the 70's, and we are still very cross about it. I don't know what was wrong with the old system, whereby it was South Lancashire (now Greater Manchester) and West Lancashire (now Merseyside). They basically just effected a rebrand for no reason. Yorkshire never had to deal with this nonsense.

Sebastian Cobb

When I think of Manchester I think of

long before I get to Kay

itf

Absolutely baffling decision to open the new arena with the act most likely to prove the city doesn't need one - isn't he literally playing the other arena with the same set that same month?

Also arenas are where comedy goes to die - has anyone ever had a really good night watching comedy in a huge room? Leeds arena opened with Springsteen and Elton John, this is opening with a bloke singing re-heated 80s TV jingles.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: itf on February 20, 2024, 10:37:26 PMAlso arenas are where comedy goes to die - has anyone ever had a really good night watching comedy in a huge room?

Not especially, rarely good for music either are they?

itf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 20, 2024, 10:47:02 PMNot especially, rarely good for music either are they?

No but I've seen spectacular arena shows where you've gone home having felt you've got your money's worth and been part of a big experience - production that couldn't work in smaller rooms etc... but I've never seen comedy really raise the roof in an arena the same way music can.

Kankurette

Biggest room I've watched a comedian is at the Phil. Stewart Lee last night. He pulled it off.

TheAssassin

Bald jokes were certainly popular on Phoenix Nights

TheAssassin

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 20, 2024, 08:35:44 PMWell the government did tear up our beloved, ancient county in the 70's, and we are still very cross about it. I don't know what was wrong with the old system, whereby it was South Lancashire (now Greater Manchester) and West Lancashire (now Merseyside). They basically just effected a rebrand for no reason. Yorkshire never had to deal with this nonsense.

Yorkshire still has its three Ridings, I always liked that.

TheAssassin

Quote from: itf on February 20, 2024, 10:53:38 PMNo but I've seen spectacular arena shows where you've gone home having felt you've got your money's worth and been part of a big experience - production that couldn't work in smaller rooms etc... but I've never seen comedy really raise the roof in an arena the same way music can.

There's a thread on reddit about him being a waste of money, and people actually leaving early.  Arenas are where bad comedians will milk the audience.  Apparently his set contained only 15-20 minutes of new material. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/BritishTV/comments/17crexj/the_decline_of_peter_kay/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Tags: