Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 16, 2024, 04:58:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

EDINBURGH FRINGE THREAD 2024

Started by flotemysost, March 28, 2024, 06:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 14, 2024, 04:55:06 PMAre we still looking at Friday the 16th for a drinks meet?

Works for me!

Looks like the app is back this year, which warms my Excel-hating heart.

DrGreggles

I'm an Excel/App eschewing multi-view multi-coloured calendar type.

Msp1976

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on May 26, 2024, 11:24:33 AMIt's a game show I think.

It's their podcast and is pretty good (episodes on youtube). I'm not there for either of those two shows but saw what seemed to be a very polished WIP of their new main show and it's outstanding. Might go and see it again.

flotemysost

^ cheers for that! Have booked to see Dummy on the Thursday I arrive (followed by our zomgmouse's show, as it sounds great and I can't make it when it's in London anyway). Gonna chill on booking anything else til payday but am already pretty stoked.

Lipglossed

Last year's Fringe was a real piss-take. I got binned off flyering by Paul F Taylor after 4 days because 'your flyering isn't bringing in enough income'. His show was absolutely dogwank, 11pm at night doing 'quirky' comedy... obnoxious and brash and shrill and he still managed to fit in a joke about concentration camps. But I put a lot of effort into it nonetheless, and thought I'd actually done OK, so it was kind of rewarding that by all indication his show continued to flop even harder after I got fired.

Then I would go home and do the dishes and a gigantic yellow billboard of Matt Forde would stare at me from across the street through the window, like a memento mori of unfunny centrist onanistic portent, his potato face like a ginormous ready salted. Big Brother is watching you, and he wants you to suck some fucking milk from his big Labour terf-tits.

On the plus side, there was a chap at the Banshee Labyrinth at 2am who literally just ate shrink-wrapped slices of processed cheese. I liked him a lot.

DrGreggles

Matt Forde definitely won the 2023 award for 'most abuse written on their posters'.

DrGreggles

BTW, I'll be there 10th to 17th... CONFIRMED

Kept the Friday evening free for drinkies.

Garam

Quote from: Lipglossed on June 17, 2024, 01:57:55 PMOn the plus side, there was a chap at the Banshee Labyrinth at 2am who literally just ate shrink-wrapped slices of processed cheese. I liked him a lot.

He switched to eating leaves of lettuce towards the end of the run on his doctor's orders

Lipglossed

Quote from: Garam on June 17, 2024, 05:47:27 PMHe switched to eating leaves of lettuce towards the end of the run on his doctor's orders
Ha, I'd forgotten that! Class.

Tiggles

The app has just been released, for the spreadsheet-phobes amongst us.

https://www.edfringe.com/experience/app



Timothy

Edfest.com does memberships now. You can become a member starting from 20 pounds and you can choose ''free'' tickets from the shows that participate. It also gives you the chance to participate in the Scotsman's Free Tickets offer. Every tier offers more freebies.

https://edfest.com/love-the-fringe

Might be worth it if you want to see a lot at Pleasance etc.

Timothy

And to add to that: the Scotsman offer is already live for members.

I got the 50 pound membership and just booked 8 shows within the membership and my 6 Scotsman Free Ticket shows.

Msp1976

Quote from: Timothy on June 30, 2024, 11:00:48 AMAnd to add to that: the Scotsman offer is already live for members.

I got the 50 pound membership and just booked 8 shows within the membership and my 6 Scotsman Free Ticket shows.

Well worth doing this if you see shows at the bigger venues. You also get a discount at the bars, although not sure how that works.

flotemysost

^ cheers for the heads up, will have a look!

Quote from: Lipglossed on June 17, 2024, 01:57:55 PMLast year's Fringe was a real piss-take. I got binned off flyering by Paul F Taylor after 4 days because 'your flyering isn't bringing in enough income'. His show was absolutely dogwank, 11pm at night doing 'quirky' comedy... obnoxious and brash and shrill and he still managed to fit in a joke about concentration camps. But I put a lot of effort into it nonetheless, and thought I'd actually done OK, so it was kind of rewarding that by all indication his show continued to flop even harder after I got fired.

Then I would go home and do the dishes and a gigantic yellow billboard of Matt Forde would stare at me from across the street through the window, like a memento mori of unfunny centrist onanistic portent, his potato face like a ginormous ready salted. Big Brother is watching you, and he wants you to suck some fucking milk from his big Labour terf-tits.

On the plus side, there was a chap at the Banshee Labyrinth at 2am who literally just ate shrink-wrapped slices of processed cheese. I liked him a lot.
I'm back this year. Let's see if I can do more than 15 days before I poison myself with cheese

Lipglossed

Quote from: 1.50amCheeseBansheeLabyrt on July 07, 2024, 08:36:34 PMI'm back this year. Let's see if I can do more than 15 days before I poison myself with cheese



Ahh brilliant!

dr beat

Quote from: flotemysost on June 14, 2024, 06:30:05 PMWorks for me!

Looks like the app is back this year, which warms my Excel-hating heart.

I should be around on the 16th.  Should we have a think about venues? Being a Friday it would probably be an idea to book a table or two somewhere.

CaledonianGonzo

Sarah Keyworth is on the verge of selling out their run and just announced a show in the Grand.

DrGreggles

Quote from: dr beat on July 11, 2024, 08:57:35 AMI should be around on the 16th.  Should we have a think about venues? Being a Friday it would probably be an idea to book a table or two somewhere.

Same place as last year?

dr beat

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 11, 2024, 01:17:25 PMSame place as last year?

Yeah Mortal Kocktail sounds good, they have some big tables which could work.  And interesting graffiti of course.  I could pop in some time and try to reserve one.

That place does get busy late on, being a Friday might be an idea to bag a table late afternoon/early evening.

DrGreggles

I've left a gap in the calendar from 17:15, so an early evening start works for me.



flotemysost

Quote from: dr beat on July 11, 2024, 01:21:51 PMMortal Kocktail

Looks good! Got nada planned for the 16th so far (apart from finding my mates who are arriving that day and checking in/dumping our stuff at the hostel, but should hopefully be sorted earlier that afternoon, so 5ish or a bit after sounds good to me as well).

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 11, 2024, 08:18:28 PMGRAVE:

https://news.sky.com/story/hotel-looking-to-hire-banter-merchant-to-entertain-guests-during-edinburgh-festival-fringe-13175451

Good lord.

QuoteCandidates should also share their favourite breakfast-related joke.

Have at it, CaB!

Spoiler alert
I did actually come up with a pathetic breakfast-related joke on the night bus a while ago but someone must have done this before
[close]

Spoiler alert
Q. What does Alfred Hitchcock order from the McDonalds breakfast menu?
[close]

Spoiler alert
A. An Egg MacGuffin
[close]

Spoiler alert
sorry
[close]

WestHill

Would it be daft to book Sheeps at Pleasance Courtyard at 20:00 then Mat Ewins at Monkey Barrel 4 at 21:15?

We've all got long legs mind.

It's the only way I can slot Sheeps in.

edwardfog

Nah that's fine, it's only like 11 min walk or something. Worst case scenario you only miss a couple of minutes of Ewins

dontpaintyourteeth


DrGreggles

Quote from: WestHill on July 13, 2024, 07:15:53 AMWould it be daft to book Sheeps at Pleasance Courtyard at 20:00 then Mat Ewins at Monkey Barrel 4 at 21:15?

We've all got long legs mind.

It's the only way I can slot Sheeps in.

Pleasance has become a bit tardy in the last couple of years, whereas MB are very punctual.
It might be a bit tight*.

*grow up

Tags: