Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 19, 2024, 06:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Keith Allen on Rik and Ade: "they went on to produce absolute shit"

Started by EggsLikeABird, May 14, 2024, 03:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: phantom_power on May 15, 2024, 11:49:20 AMI don't think the nepobaby thing is about ability but rather opportunity

Ah fair dos. Tbf though I've only ever seen it used in relation to people who are shit

Mr_Simnock

I thought nepobaby was just for anyone who got help from connections via famous parents?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on May 15, 2024, 12:43:23 PMAh fair dos. Tbf though I've only ever seen it used in relation to people who are shit

You're thinking of 'failson' (or 'failchild').

Mister Six

Quote from: Senior Baiano on May 14, 2024, 04:21:57 PMHe aint even Salieri dissing Mozart. He's Sally Gunnell dissing Mozart

That's funny, but Sally Gunnell was actually good at something.

Hank_Kingsley

My favourite Keith Allen bit is when he did UB40's version of 'Falling in love with you' at karaoke in the Lauren Harries documentary.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: EggsLikeABird on May 14, 2024, 03:56:34 PM"I'm sorry but this country has got to do something about applauding mediocrity."

While they're still on the morgue table? How's that going by the way? Have you sorted the mediocrity applauding problem? The best I can say about Keith Allen is that I could probably accept some of the shit that has come out of his mouth from a more charming and nice person. But he's not charming and nice so he can fuck off.

He shows up in bit parts and cameos of stuff I like such as Trainspotting, Spaced and 24 Hour Party People but I still can't stand him. And obviously he's demonstrably wrong about Rik and Ade's work and clearly jealous.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on May 14, 2024, 06:05:14 PMI quite like Lily Allen. It surprises me that she's been termed a nepo baby in some quarters. If anything she's the opposite. It's quite an achievement to be able to sing and write some reasonably good songs against the seemingly insurmountable odds of being the daughter of Keith Allen

Not into her music but I saw her on stage summertime last year and she was good (it was The Pillowman, Steve Pemberton was also in it).

If only Keith has a tenth of the talent he thinks he has.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 15, 2024, 01:41:05 PMKeith "puts his penis in your pint unrequested" Allen

As long as he balances it out with "puts his penis in your pint requested"

McDead

He was very good in that thing about the Bullseye murderer, fwiw. Very studied, low key performance, a lot less of the usual gurning, showboating, look at me, aren't I the smartest person in the room bullshit you get from the guy.

KennyMonster

Quote from: McDead on May 15, 2024, 02:47:22 PMHe was very good in that thing about the Bullseye murderer, fwiw. Very studied, low key performance, a lot less of the usual gurning, showboating, look at me, aren't I the smartest person in the room bullshit you get from the guy.

shouldn't that say 'speedboating' seeing as you're talking about Bullseye?

Garam

Love Rik and Ade but he's not wrong, the later live shows are appallingly bad

gilbertharding

Des Wigwam

I don't like Bottom but I like it more than I like Keith Allen. Not sure where that leaves us.

He was good in the Pembrokeshire murder thing but not particularly moreso than any other good character actor.

Because he's such a tit in real life I tend to think "oh it's Keith Allen" and then have to get into whatever character he's playing which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (though admittedly apart from him bullying that teenage girl from that bonkers church nothing immediately springs to mind after The Comic Strip era).

I listened to the Celebrity Memoir Book club (thanks for the recommendation @Blue Jam ) episode covering Lilly Allen's autobiography and she doesn't come across as a nepobaby in it and he is presented as more of a hinderence. But then that's a blind spot for most nepopersons. Given his parenting skills mind, I am surprised she is alive.

El Unicornio, mang

I already disliked Keith Allen immensely, and even more when I found out recently that he has a celeb mate who slept with Lily when she was 14 after the 1999 charity football match, and he'd joke about "dobbing him in" when they would hang out.

My mate was an extra on a TV bit in the 90s where Allen was playing a prisoner. He kept having a go at my mate for not pushing him into his cell realistically enough. Mate ended up slamming him full force into it.

BennyHedgehog

The only thing I don't like about Keith Allen is everything

buzby

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 15, 2024, 03:54:28 PMGiven his parenting skills mind, I am surprised she is alive.
Shortly after Lily was born he started an affair with a Brigadier's wife while filming 'Comrades' in Dorset, and her mother Alison Owen divorced him in 1989 (when Lily was 4) as he had started an affair with Nira Park. I don't think Lily saw that much of him (in her autobigraphy she says he has somewhere between 8 and 11 children).

Des Wigwam

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 15, 2024, 04:06:23 PMI already disliked Keith Allen immensely, and even more when I found out recently that he has a celeb mate who slept with Lily when she was 14 after the 1999 charity football match, and he'd joke about "dobbing him in" when they would hang out.

Oh yes - I think that was in her autobiography. The fact that the two hosts have very little knowledge of UK culture was a bit frustrating as I did want them to speculate - however obliquely - on who the various people might have been.

Quote from: buzby on May 15, 2024, 04:44:47 PMShortly after Lily was born he started an affair with a Brigadier's wife while filming 'Comrades' in Dorset, and her mother Alison Owen divorced him in 1989 (when Lily was 4) as he had started an affair with Nira Park. I don't think Lily saw that much of him (in her autobigraphy she says he has somewhere between 8 and 11 children).
Yes - I was using the term in a negative space sort of way - but as with the quote above it seemed that whatever he did bring into her life was never positive. Had forgotten the Boris Johnson / Idi Amin levels of children he has.

Just remembered he's in Bodies (the 2000s surgical ward thing) - seem to recall he bunked up with his co-star after that for quite a while. He was good in that but then his character was just  a toned down "Keith Allen with a medical degree".

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Des Wigwam on May 15, 2024, 04:47:55 PMOh yes - I think that was in her autobiography. The fact that the two hosts have very little knowledge of UK culture was a bit frustrating as I did want them to speculate - however obliquely - on who the various people might have been.

It was quite a well publicised event (Soccer Six) and there's a list of people who participated and narrowed down due to their age but of course that gets into dangerous territory where innocent parties can be suspected and dates and ages can be mixed up so could even be from a different year as they happened between 1996-2000.

beanheadmcginty

Blue Jam

Keith Allen should have played Uncle Gary Goldsmith in The Crown.

Glad you enjoyed the podcast, @Des Wigwam! Not checked out the Lily Allen episode yet but I could do with a bit of holiday listening.

Senior Baiano

Harry Enfield was/is Lily Allen's stepdad, no? Or is that something I dreamt

Quote from: Senior Baiano on May 15, 2024, 05:27:59 PMHarry Enfield was/is Lily Allen's stepdad, no? Or is that something I dreamt

That is true I think, the "Harry & Lulu" sketches from Chums were based on Lily and her little brother Alfie.

There's another oft-repeated anecdote about Allen's fathering skills with regards to his daughter - apparently she would occasionally have to sleep over night at the Groucho Club because her dad was too fucked to take her home.

thenoise

Given that more people think of Keith as 'Lily's' Dad than whatever the fuck else he's supposed to be famous for, perhaps he should be a Nepodad?

cosmic-hearse

Both of Lily Allen's parents have their own Wikipedia page. She is Nepo Baby².

somersetchris

Quote from: thenoise on May 15, 2024, 06:22:04 PMGiven that more people think of Keith as 'Lily's' Dad than whatever the fuck else he's supposed to be famous for, perhaps he should be a Nepodad?

Keith Allen has made a career out of hanging onto the coattails of much more famous and talented people which, to be fair, he is quite good at. He'd still be fairly well known without the Lily connection.

neveragain

I saw Keith Allen playing the lead role (well, if there is such a thing) in Harold Pinter's The Homecoming. Yeah, he was pretty good. Had a sore throat I recall.

Still think he's an arse. Even if the last two Bottom live shows are unmemorable.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 15, 2024, 05:24:15 PMNot checked out the Lily Allen episode yet but I could do with a bit of holiday listening.

The conclusion on our Lilly is 'mixed' but I learnt a lot I didn't know about her*.

* Which was admittedly limited to the music

Tags: