Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 16, 2024, 05:18:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pope invites a hundred comedians over

Started by Hugl, June 15, 2024, 08:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugl

The pope's been trying out his edgy homophobic material lately and wanted to compare notes with other comedians

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2024-06/pope-to-comedians-help-us-to-dream-of-a-better-world.html

In this video he does a little wave which is his best attempt at comedy and reminds me of something my catholic grandmother would do for a joke, the little wave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c722vd9274yo

Anyway there's apparently over a hundred comedians from over 15 countries, I can only make out the forced down your throat americans who seem to have bagged the front rows.

Who else can you make out?

C_Larence

Who the fuck is that shaking hands with Whoopi Goldberg?

copa

So 100 comedians walk into the Vatican.
One of them goes up to the Pope and he says: "Pope Francis, will you take my confession."
And the Pope goes: "No thanks, son. I'm diabetic."

sprocket

Father Dougal and Father Kevin Ardal O' Hanlon, Tommy Tiernan and Patrick Kielty were the Irish contingent.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0614/1454709-tiernan-ohanlon-and-kielty-in-conclave-of-comedians/

lauraxsynthesis

This bit reminds me of reading in Joel Morris' new book about comedy how we laugh when we feel safe:
"You denounce the excesses of power, give voice to forgotten situations, highlight abuses, point out inappropriate behaviour... but without spreading alarm and terror, anxiety or fear"

Last year he invited 200 artists to the Vatican and Patricia Lockwood wrote about it. I imagine this is a continuation of that initiative.

Comedy and comedians are important, and Bergoglio's an intelligent person who has recognised that and decided to share it with the world. Right on, frankly.

Perhaps also he wanted to hang out with some folks whose lives aren't dedicated to evil before his trip to the G7.

idunnosomename

Ardal O' Hanlon meeting the Pope in the Sala Clementina while Graham Linehan shits his pants over a Catholic musical is fucking hilarious. Especially since Pope Francis has said transphobic stuff.

This is basically just damage control for the Pope saying "in Vaticano c'è aria di frociaggine" ("in the Vatican, there is an air of faggotry") recently. Really I don't see why any of these comedians should be supporting the whitewashing. I'd tell the Pope to fuck off to be honest

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 16, 2024, 12:00:15 AMThis is basically just damage control for the Pope saying "in Vaticano c'è aria di frociaggine" ("in the Vatican, there is an air of faggotry") recently.
Previewing material from the Netflix special he's just been given, I shouldn't wonder

PhotoJenny

Weirdly hard to find a full list of attendees. Thankfully the lads at the Vatican came through:

Spoiler alert
ARGENTINA
1. Malena Guinzburg

BRAZIL
1. Fabio Porchat
2. Cristiane Werson

COLOMBIA
1. Paula Arcila
2. Liss Pereira
3. Maribel Trujillo Botello

FRANCE
1. Redouane Bougheraba
2. François Cluzet
3. Manu Payet

GERMANY
1. Meltem Kaptan
2. Annette Frier
3. Michael Mittermeier
4. Till Reiners
5. Torsten Sträter

IRELAND
1. Ardal O'Hanlon
2. Tommy Tiernan
3. Patrick Kielty

ITALY
1. Max Angioni
2. Lino Banfi
3. Federico Basso
4. Stefano Belisari [Elio]
5. Alessandro Bergonzoni
6. Don Giovanni Berti [Gioba]
7. Enrico Bertolino
8. Enrico Beruschi
9. Alessandro Besentini
10. Alessandro Betti
11. Luca Bizzarri
12. Massimo Boldi
13. Luca Bonafé
14. Enrico Brignano
15. Jerry Calà
16. Roberta Calcagno Baldini
17. Gabriele Cirilli
18. Raul Cremona
19. Geppi Cucciari
20. Pio D'Antino
21. Gianluca De Angelis
22. Cristian De Sica
23. Maria Di Biase
24. Pierfrancesco Diliberto
25. Emanuela Fanelli
26. Alberto Ferrari
27. Maurizio Ferrini
28. Nino Frassica
29. Andrea Fratellini
30. Giuseppe Giacobazzi
31. Gene Gnocchi
32. Valeria Graci
33. Amedeo Grieco
34. Caterina Guzzanti
35. Paolo Kessisoglu
36. Paolo Labati
37. Maurizio Lastrico
38. Roberto Lipari
39. Luciana Littizzetto
40. Brenda Lodigiani
41. Valerio Lundini
42. Andy Luotto
43. Leonardo Manera
44. Marco Marzocca
45. Paolo Migone
46. Elia Morra [Elianto]
47. Corrado Nuzzo
48. Silvio Orlando
49. Antonio Ornano
50. Enzo Paci
51. Mauro Pallotta [Maupal]
52. Davide Paniate
53. Cochi Ponzoni
54. Giacomo Poretti
55. Saverio Raimondo
56. Luca Ravenna
57. Riccardo Rossi
58. Mary Sarnataro
59. Giovanni Scifoni
60. Mario Simonotti
61. Giovanni Storti
62. Carlo Verdone
63. Giovanni Vernia
64. Francesco Villa
65. Michele Foresta
66. Giorgio Panariello
67. Michele La Ginestra

MEXICO
1. Florinda Meza García
2. Chumel Torres

POLAND
1. Dorota Łoskot-Cichocka

PORTUGAL
1. Ricardo de Araujo Pereira
2. Joana Marques
3. Maria Rueff

UNITED KINGDOM
1. Stephen Merchant

SPAIN
1. Cristina Castaño
2. Belen Cuesta Llamas
3. Sara Escudero Rodriguez
4. Victoria Martin

UNITED STATES
1. Stephen Colbert
2. Jimmy Fallon
3. Jim Gaffigan
4. Whoopi Goldberg
5. James Martin
6. Tig Notaro
7. Chris Rock
8. Conan O' Brien

SWITZERLAND
1. Hazel Brugger

TIMOR LESTE
1. Rivelino Barro Gonçalves
[close]

Stephen Merchant in attendance for the UK. Gervais' invite presumably lost in mail.

Vulture also says Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mike Birbiglia, and Ramy Youssef were there, and have a US-centric rundown. Looking forward to Ramy and Tig's POVs.

thenoise

Frank Skinner, being an actual catholic, would have been the obvious choice for the UK. Maybe nobody outside of the UK has heard of him. Or understands his accent.

BlodwynPig

willywoofter

Quirke, Robson and Joseph just out of shot.

The Bumlord

You'd think Steve Merchant would be an easy spot but I can't see him anywhere. Maybe he's sat down

checkoutgirl

They put Steve Merchant in the distance which was good for him.

Ardal O'Hanlon shook the pope's hand and accidentally headbutted him to death.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: PhotoJenny on June 16, 2024, 03:26:29 AMGervais' invite presumably lost in mail.

Gervais got an invite which gave two options.

I will be attending.
I will not be attending.

Ricky couldn't go because he was having lunch with Larry David, Louis CK, President Biden and Chris Rock. He thought it was a bit harsh just ticking a box so rang them up.

When he rang them the guy who picked up the phone said "You're the first person to ever do that".

checkoutgirl

UK comedian Karl Pilkington was asked if he wanted to meet the new pope and commented.

"He's hardly new, is he? Keep tekkin' on old people".

Following this statement by Pilkington the Vatican immediately withdrew their invitation and declined to make any further comment.

checkoutgirl

While in attendance Steven Merchant was approached by two young women and asked if he would be here long.

Sensing a sexual opportunity Steve answered he would while raising his eyebrows suggestively.

The women then clarified that they had arranged to meet back at him.

The Bumlord

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 16, 2024, 02:03:48 PMGervais got an invite which gave two options.

I will be attending.
I will not be attending.

Ricky couldn't go because he was having lunch with Larry David, Louis CK, President Biden and Chris Rock. He thought it was a bit harsh just ticking a box so rang them up.

When he rang them the guy who picked up the phone said "You're the first person to ever do that".

Now I do like a reference

willywoofter

Quote from: checkoutgirl on June 16, 2024, 02:21:04 PMWhile in attendance Steven Merchant was approached by two young women and asked if he would be here long.

Sensing a sexual opportunity Steve answered he would while raising his eyebrows suggestively.

The women then clarified that they had arranged to meet back at him.

Man alive.

madhair60

dissolute ocelot

Ian Hislop (well-known as an Anglican) was reportedly invited but couldn't attend. He strikes me as someone who'd appreciate the pomp of a nice Catholic mass.

I seem to recall that both Merchant and Gervais came from Catholic households?

The Catholic church believes that once you're in, you never truly escape, so are always trying to lure back the apostates.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 16, 2024, 12:00:15 AMThis is basically just damage control for the Pope saying "in Vaticano c'è aria di frociaggine" ("in the Vatican, there is an air of faggotry") recently. Really I don't see why any of these comedians should be supporting the whitewashing. I'd tell the Pope to fuck off to be honest

If you did you would be absolved after dashing off three Hail Marys.

Unless of course you have been indulging in faggotry, in which case burn in hell.

Petey Pate

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 17, 2024, 10:43:41 AMThe Catholic church believes that once you're in, you never truly escape, so are always trying to lure back the apostates.

Stephen Colbert is actually a practicing Catholic so his invitation makes perfect sense.

Hugl

This photo annoys me, what are they doing?

jobotic

Whoever wrote this Moe Sizlak line ahood have been invited

QuoteSo Lenny, let's say you pull a thorn out of the Pope's butt and he grants you one wish. What'll it be?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Hugl on June 17, 2024, 01:39:02 PM

This photo annoys me, what are they doing?

After the address and individual handshakes seated on a dais at the top of the hall, the Pope moves to sit in front of the first row for a group photo with the whole audience. After that's been taken, Chris Rock tries to photobomb a close-up of him and the cardinals, then Jimmy Fallon joins in and much merriment ensues.

https://youtu.be/aJ6_dAwbRbM?si=JxvKExvUZf5LArVX&t=2488

Glebe

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Italians aren't funny, I don't know why he invited so many of them.

copa

Comedians aren't funny.
Most of them are loathsome.
Needy, self-obsessed, corporate-friendly establishment jesters.