Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 12, 2024, 06:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Scottish Comedy

Started by Bronzy, January 24, 2019, 03:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiousoranges

I really enjoyed The High Life, with Alan Cummings.

Thinking of new stuff since the thread was started, I quite like The Scotts – not an all-time great but I think it meets the 'actually funny' bar from the original post. That's based only on the first series which is all I've seen – there have been two more series aht I haven't watched yet so it could have become great or shit for all I know. It falls into the 'sending up the lower-middle classes for no wanting to be working-class' category but does it reasonably well.

It's a comedy-drama not a sitcom but I thought Guilt was good including being pretty funny. The first series was best but the other two were all right.

Other than that, BBC Scotland seems to rely a lot on a roster of comedians they like, putting them in talking-head shows, comedians-doing-wacky-tasks shows, and stuff like that that isn't proper sitcoms or sketch shows. Of this kind of thing I have laughed a fair bit at the talking-over-archive-footage show Raiders of the Lost Archive but it feels like riffing at easy targets rather than really good comedy writing, and other than that this kind of thing is mostly pretty meh.

Also, broadcast on the BBC a few months after this thread started, I thought Chris McQueer's Hings was very good. I wish he'd do more TV comedy, whether that's other stuff or more Hings – the series was only three short films adapted from short stories from his collection of the same name, and I assume there are more than three stories in the book. He's done some BBC docmentaries with a mildly comedic tone but I don't think any more outright comedies. I should really look for the book and/or see if he's done any online stuff.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Garam on June 11, 2024, 05:03:19 PMIt's so depressing that there's a spare new younger Janey Godley to replace her when she dies, is there no respite

There's no end of fucking Janey Godleys in Glasgow. She's the female archetype partner to the tedious gallus fella.

GMTV

Quote from: Theoretical Dentist on June 11, 2024, 08:42:24 PMThinking of new stuff since the thread was started, I quite like The Scotts – not an all-time great but I think it meets the 'actually funny' bar from the original post. That's based only on the first series which is all I've seen – there have been two more series aht I haven't watched yet so it could have become great or shit for all I know. It falls into the 'sending up the lower-middle classes for no wanting to be working-class' category but does it reasonably well.

Fucking YES. Where were you where my threads on each series of The Scotts died on their arse?

I've really enjoyed the Scotts. First series was really funny. The latter two were progressively less funny, but actually still managed work as mildly amusing spoof reality shows, almost drifting into soap/drama territory. Could happily take another series.

Tags: